Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Jan 20, 2017 at 12:06 AM Post #9,586 of 12,086

I spent a few more hours testing various dekoni pads mods.  By adding different size paper.  I tried holes of various sizes, round and others shaped like the pad opening.  All those lead me to a much simpler solution.

The issue with the bass is coming from the back portion of the pad that is thickest.  Its only that part that really benefits from the insert.  But the good news is that is the easiest mod to do.  You don't have to take pad off and can take insert on and off easy.  The final design.  Is a banana shape insert of thick paper that inserts to the back of the pad (thickest part of the pad [back of head]) Banana shaped about as thick as a nickel (coin).  For thinner paper more the size of Quarter.  The paper I have that is thickest is best because it is more stable and resistance to sibilance.  But only need a small piece as thick as a nickel.  Measuring 3.25 inches high.

This mod brings out bass that is missing from dekoni pads.  It also improves instrument separation.  Before I stated that improves micro details.  But that is not the case I think its just the better instrument separation gives a sense that their is more detail presented.  My theory is the back of the pad is black hole and bass and separations is getting lost forever.  So by using a little paper in that portion it blocks it and does not get lost.

Can you post a pic?

Yeah I was thinking about that but probably won't get to real pics until the weekend.  About to go to bed now.  Here is is a quick photo shop.  Cut paper this shape, paper thicker than a file folder if possible.  Cut a few sizes to try.  Two of each size then tuck it in under the pad (but on top of the cloth) all the way to the edge.  (make sure the outer edge is cut the same size as the pads outer edge)  Blocking the outer edge is what is most important to get the bass.

Jan 21, 2017 at 4:51 PM Post #9,588 of 12,086
Would it be good to make a jump from Fidelio X2 to the Fostex TH-X00. Using for gaming, movies and music. Just thinking on the jump by looking about same Fidelio X2 quality on anything else than bass, but with more bass.

Thanks!

Jan 21, 2017 at 4:55 PM Post #9,589 of 12,086
Would it be good to make a jump from Fidelio X2 to the Fostex TH-X00. Using for gaming, movies and music. Just thinking on the jump by looking about same Fidelio X2 quality on anything else than bass, but with more bass.

Thanks!

Better everything except soundstage. I almost forgot IMO

Jan 21, 2017 at 5:04 PM Post #9,590 of 12,086
Better everything except soundstage. I almost forgot IMO

​Thank you so much. Just three questions.

1.- From 1 to 10, how better the soundstage would be from the X2 to the TH-X00? The soundstage.

2.- From 1 to 10, how better and powerful would the bass be from the X2 to the TH-X00?

3.- Also, is the bass powerful enough to make a feeling of rumbling? like, on games that use powerful-bass heavy effects. This without amplify them.

Thanks a ton! :)

Jan 21, 2017 at 5:06 PM Post #9,591 of 12,086
In this one I meant how worse instead of better.
1.- From 1 to 10, how worse the soundstage would be from the X2 to the TH-X00? The soundstage.

Quote:

1.- From 1 to 10, how better the soundstage would be from the X2 to the TH-X00? The soundstage.

2.- From 1 to 10, how better and powerful would the bass be from the X2 to the TH-X00?

3.- Also, is the bass powerful enough to make a feeling of rumbling? like, on games that use powerful-bass heavy effects. This without amplify them.

Jan 22, 2017 at 2:03 AM Post #9,592 of 12,086

Going from memory since I returned the X2 and just sent the TH-X00 back to the owner.
10 being good and 1 being bad

1.  Sound stage of X2 is about a 6, sound stage of TH-X00 is 5.5, HD-800 would be 9.5
2.  X2 bass: 6 , TH-X00 bass: 7 (can be changed with ear pads)
3.  TH-X00 bass will give a little of the rumbling but not quite like from a sub where you get the feeling also.

Note: TH-X00 sound is dependent on the seal you get and for some like me the ear pads are not great and comfort is an issue, X2 has no problem with seal or comfort.

Jan 22, 2017 at 9:29 AM Post #9,593 of 12,086

I do not own the X2's currently, but I may pick them up in the future. But what I can tell you is yes, the bass will give you a physical rumbling effect when amped and EQ'd properly. I did own a pair of X1's in the past, which supposedly have more bass bloat than the X2's, and can tell you the TH-X00 have WAY more bass impact than them. For example, here is a link to a video of the TH-X00 pushing paper in a bass test. Only headphones that will rattle on your face will get the paper to move in the first place, let alone twist and wave like this. The TH-X00 properly slam when heavily bass boosted and amped.

Jan 22, 2017 at 3:45 PM Post #9,594 of 12,086

Going from memory since I returned the X2 and just sent the TH-X00 back to the owner.
10 being good and 1 being bad

1.  Sound stage of X2 is about a 6, sound stage of TH-X00 is 5.5, HD-800 would be 9.5
2.  X2 bass: 6 , TH-X00 bass: 7 (can be changed with ear pads)
3.  TH-X00 bass will give a little of the rumbling but not quite like from a sub where you get the feeling also.

Note: TH-X00 sound is dependent on the seal you get and for some like me the ear pads are not great and comfort is an issue, X2 has no problem with seal or comfort.

I do not own the X2's currently, but I may pick them up in the future. But what I can tell you is yes, the bass will give you a physical rumbling effect when amped and EQ'd properly. I did own a pair of X1's in the past, which supposedly have more bass bloat than the X2's, and can tell you the TH-X00 have WAY more bass impact than them. For example, here is a link to a video of the TH-X00 pushing paper in a bass test. Only headphones that will rattle on your face will get the paper to move in the first place, let alone twist and wave like this. The TH-X00 properly slam when heavily bass boosted and amped.

Thanks a ton guys for the information! it is really appreciated!

It sounds like in the long road, I need to spend more than what they cost. But as a future purchase, I will really consider to get those on a next drop. I really want that shake effect on games like DOOM and Diablo 3 when powerful and bassy sounds come into the scenario.

If I get them soon, and lets say. They don't shake with only connected on the onboard (Realtek ALC1150 + APO Equalizer). Is there any amp you guys recommend for these? Much appreciated.

Thanks and regards!
AQ

Jan 22, 2017 at 4:54 PM Post #9,595 of 12,086

Thanks a ton guys for the information! it is really appreciated!

It sounds like in the long road, I need to spend more than what they cost. But as a future purchase, I will really consider to get those on a next drop. I really want that shake effect on games like DOOM and Diablo 3 when powerful and bassy sounds come into the scenario.

If I get them soon, and lets say. They don't shake with only connected on the onboard (Realtek ALC1150 + APO Equalizer). Is there any amp you guys recommend for these? Much appreciated.

Thanks and regards!
AQ

The on-board Realtek sound chip should be enough but it will also depend on how much EQ you use and how loud you listen at. 

As far as being nice to have the powerful bassy sounds when gaming I wanted great positional audio and clear dialogue, something the TH-X00 was not good at IMO, a HD-700 for gaming was quite a bit better than the TH-600 that I compared it to when I used to game

Jan 22, 2017 at 5:01 PM Post #9,596 of 12,086
  The on-board Realtek sound chip should be enough but it will also depend on how much EQ you use and how loud you listen at. 

As far as being nice to have the powerful bassy sounds when gaming I wanted great positional audio and clear dialogue, something the TH-X00 was not good at IMO, a HD-700 for gaming was quite a bit better than the TH-600 that I compared it to when I used to game

​Darn, I think in the end. Going from X2 to the TH-X00 is a trade between more bass for positional audio. Hmm, not sure if it is worth it at all for gaming, you made my see things clearer now.

Hmm, it may be wise to stay on the X2 for a while I think. Personally, what would you think would be worth to jump in the future from the X2 David? This by getting same or better high and mids from the X2, same as soundstage but better and more powerful bass.

Thanks David!

Jan 22, 2017 at 6:05 PM Post #9,599 of 12,086

​Darn, I think in the end. Going from X2 to the TH-X00 is a trade between more bass for positional audio. Hmm, not sure if it is worth it at all for gaming, you made my see things clearer now.

Hmm, it may be wise to stay on the X2 for a while I think. Personally, what would you think would be worth to jump in the future from the X2 David? This by getting same or better high and mids from the X2, same as soundstage but better and more powerful bass.

Thanks David!

In the long run I would think about keeping 2-3 headphones to cover different genres, for gaming, and for just having another sound signature.  If you already have the X2 then I would look at something like a HD-600, HD-700 or DT-1990 to get a fairly different sound signature to compliment the X2 but also consider the possibility that you will need an amp depending on the headphone you decide on next.

Jan 22, 2017 at 6:16 PM Post #9,600 of 12,086
  In the long run I would think about keeping 2-3 headphones to cover different genres, for gaming, and for just having another sound signature.  If you already have the X2 then I would look at something like a HD-600, HD-700 or DT-1990 to get a fairly different sound signature to compliment the X2 but also consider the possibility that you will need an amp depending on the headphone you decide on next.

​That is wise, thank you so much for everything David. You are awesome :)

Regards!
AQ

Users who are viewing this thread

Back