Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Jan 8, 2017 at 10:04 AM Post #9,466 of 12,086
I definitely suggest the SMC connectors. I was going to... but since I already had parts... well. I had to modify the driver housing and the cup. So, I'll end up looking on Lawton's website when he has spare cups (most likely a different cup to swap on). I also had to modify the retaining ring for the pads, as one of the lock fingers were hitting the 2.5mm connector. Once altogether though, you wouldn't be able to tell unless you started prying at the headphones to see that one clip is missing. So, anyone know where to get those retaining rings for the pads? I still may swap the 2.5mm for the SMC down the road (since the housing themselves weren't modified).

Jan 8, 2017 at 2:21 PM Post #9,468 of 12,086
I used a little dot mk3 and gustard dac. Neither this Fostex or the Shure look to be a difficult load. I never tried them direct from a computer or phone though.

I use the Mk IV se with the 6n6p-IR, on a hd650. is it a good amp for the th-x00 which i am planning to get soon; like tomorrow 

Jan 8, 2017 at 2:44 PM Post #9,469 of 12,086
  Anyone know where I can get extra fostex plastic rings for pads?
I want to be able to swap pads easily.

Here;

http://www.fullcompass.com/prod/272657-Fostex-1412552460

Jan 8, 2017 at 3:25 PM Post #9,473 of 12,086
Jan 8, 2017 at 3:44 PM Post #9,474 of 12,086
I've only converted my Purplehearts to detachable (SMC) and should do the same with my MH and EB, but frankly can't find the time to do this :frowning2: I also have other projects that are on hold because of work and I'd love to get them done.
I only went ahead with modding the PH because the cups were off anyway at that time when I tried to get the stupid bubble wrap marks off.
At least I have a nice pair of Purplehearts with satin coating and SMC connectors. The other cans will wait their turn :D

Did any of you also have a hard time with the braided sleeve? It was a real pain trying to get it to fit nicely with the heatshrink so I just went the easy way and got rid of all of it from the connector to the Y-split.

Wow, the satin coating is just beautiful. I wanted to polish this cup somehow, as mine came scratched and I added a bit more with uses. Any link I can look up for these thing? Thanks :D

Jan 8, 2017 at 4:46 PM Post #9,476 of 12,086
Wow, the satin coating is just beautiful. I wanted to polish this cup somehow, as mine came scratched and I added a bit more with uses. Any link I can look up for these thing? Thanks :D

No link, sorry. I just took the original cups off, sanded them down a bit (not too much or the FOSTEX logo will come off), and applied a few coats of polyurethane varnish.

Jan 8, 2017 at 8:36 PM Post #9,477 of 12,086
OMG those satin purple hearts!
Amazing

Jan 9, 2017 at 4:07 AM Post #9,478 of 12,086

I've only converted my Purplehearts to detachable (SMC) and should do the same with my MH and EB, but frankly can't find the time to do this
frown.gif
I also have other projects that are on hold because of work and I'd love to get them done.
I only went ahead with modding the PH because the cups were off anyway at that time when I tried to get the stupid bubble wrap marks off.
At least I have a nice pair of Purplehearts with satin coating and SMC connectors. The other cans will wait their turn
biggrin.gif

Did any of you also have a hard time with the braided sleeve? It was a real pain trying to get it to fit nicely with the heatshrink so I just went the easy way and got rid of all of it from the connector to the Y-split.

what pads are those ? look pretty good

Users who are viewing this thread

Back