Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Jan 6, 2017 at 2:52 PM Post #9,436 of 12,086
For those of you who have modded the cables on the THX00s, do they have four different colors of wire, or do they use the same two colors on both sides? I'm trying to figure out if I can simply re-terminate mine with a 4-pin XLR without opening the cups.

Jan 6, 2017 at 3:01 PM Post #9,437 of 12,086
  For those of you who have modded the cables on the THX00s, do they have four different colors of wire, or do they use the same two colors on both sides? I'm trying to figure out if I can simply re-terminate mine with a 4-pin XLR without opening the cups.

Yes you can. Brown = Ground, Blue = Left, Pink = Right.

Jan 6, 2017 at 4:15 PM Post #9,441 of 12,086

​You will need a continuity tester or multi meter . Left +ve has continuity with left -ve etc.

If you have access to the other end of the cable. He doesn't want to open the headphones up at all.

Jan 6, 2017 at 4:34 PM Post #9,443 of 12,086
With a regular speaker, one can check if it's blown by running cables from the speaker terminals to the respective ends on a battery (like a AA) and see if it moves or not. You can also determine which terminal is positive and negative by which direction the speaker moves doing this; helpful if the positive and negative labels are missing.

I'm not sure if a AA battery would be too much power for a headphone driver, but couldn't one use a low powered battery and do the same thing here? The driver wouldn't move unless it was matched with its ground, in this exercise.

Jan 6, 2017 at 4:38 PM Post #9,444 of 12,086
Ahh... Now I get what @Dogmatrix was saying. If he grabs one of the leads (blue or pink) and then tries "either" of the grounds, he would only get continuity from the ground that is associated with the lead he is testing. NVM mind me, I'm slow today.

Jan 6, 2017 at 4:41 PM Post #9,445 of 12,086
  Ahh... Now I get what @Dogmatrix was saying. If he grabs one of the leads (blue or pink) and then tries "either" of the grounds, he would only get continuity from the ground that is associated with the lead he is testing. NVM mind me, I'm slow today.

I'm glad you got it, because I didn't get it until you paraphrased. Thanks Dogmatrix and WayTooCrazy. Guess I'll just buy a multimeter.

Jan 6, 2017 at 6:17 PM Post #9,446 of 12,086
  I'm selling my purplehearts and someone inquired as to why I prefer the ebonies and mahoganies over them. I posted something similar in the past regarding the PHs and Mahoganies, but I thought I'd add this since I also included the ebonies in my response:

"A number of people have inquired, but no one has pulled the trigger yet. The reason I prefer the ebonies takes a little explanation. I bought all 3 variants (obviously) after I fell in love with the mahoganies and I couldn't resist checking out the so-called improvements. The differences among the three are very subtle. The purplehearts have a very small amount of increased treble energy to my ears. I can't even really notice it in quick A-B comparisons, but where I start to notice it is over long listening sessions, I would start to feel treble fatigue on particularly treble hot tracks. But, keep in mind that I feel like I'm treble sensitive. Also, because the peak of the bass curve is a little higher up the frequency response, I started to notice the mids being ever so slightly recessed compared to the mahoganies. Again, all of this is pretty subtle, but owning all three and needing to get rid of one, it became obvious that the PHs are just a little to "fun" for my tastes.

Comparing the Mahoganies and the Ebonies is even more nuanced. I think the ebonies are just a little more refined everywhere. The bass seems to extend just a little better, and the treble has lost just a tiny bit of edge. Again, barely noticeable if at all in short A-B comparisons, it seems to come out more over listening lengths of at least a track or two that is particularly treble hot. I used to listen to the mahoganies with EQ, I don't listen to the ebonies with EQ. If I ever only owned one of any three of these, I would have loved any one of them, the PHs included."

Yeah, in my particular case, the Purplehearts play right into my method of listening. I already have one "neutral/natural" set of high-fidelity cans, the PH's are intended to provide the bass-heavy counterpart, so the more "fun" sounding, the better :D It helps that I apparently don't have the treble sensitivity that others do, or at least not in the same frequency range. My PH's have zero fatigue to my ears. And at least to my eyes, the PH's are the most beautiful; though others are completely free to disagree.

I won't buy another X00 variant, but I *may* add the E-MU Teaks to my collection......with the E-MU I could simply swap wood cups rather than buying an entire headphone for slight sonic variances.

Jan 6, 2017 at 6:35 PM Post #9,447 of 12,086
  With a regular speaker, one can check if it's blown by running cables from the speaker terminals to the respective ends on a battery (like a AA) and see if it moves or not. You can also determine which terminal is positive and negative by which direction the speaker moves doing this; helpful if the positive and negative labels are missing.

I'm not sure if a AA battery would be too much power for a headphone driver, but couldn't one use a low powered battery and do the same thing here? The driver wouldn't move unless it was matched with its ground, in this exercise.

​@mdoxey73
This is a good option if you don't want to buy a meter . Just hold one wire on one end of the battery and lightly brush the other wire across the other terminal . Back in the day we tested speakers with a 9volt this way so a AA should be fine on headphones . Remember it is just a quick light brush DO NOT hold the wires on both terminals .

With my TH X00 I terminated with a 4pin xlr then made a female 4pin to 3.5 adapter and a female 3.5 to the stock 1/4 to finish the set . You get plenty of cable to play with .

Jan 6, 2017 at 11:16 PM Post #9,449 of 12,086
Any of you have a 1/4 inch to 3.5 adapter?  The one they sent from monoprice doesn't work.  I know that doesn't seem possible but it doesn't stay in my phones hp jack like every other 3.5 mm plug does.  Bonus points if it has a bit of wire length to it.

Jan 6, 2017 at 11:29 PM Post #9,450 of 12,086
  Any of you have a 1/4 inch to 3.5 adapter?  The one they sent from monoprice doesn't work.  I know that doesn't seem possible but it doesn't stay in my phones hp jack like every other 3.5 mm plug does.  Bonus points if it has a bit of wire length to it.

I'm using http://amzn.to/23x9uU7 this one (I got the link from description Z reviews' video review of TH-X00, he and others in this thread, have made it a point to mention why the mono adapter is bad as it will put too much preassure on the jack).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back