Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Dec 11, 2016 at 11:01 PM Post #9,181 of 12,086
The USB cable that provides the audio signal also charges the device. I leave mine plugged in at all times, and have only had it die on me once. When using Turbo gain, it also uses the on board battery to supply the 4W total power. I ordered a USB hub that supports BC1.2 charging, and that will provide enough current to keep the iDSD charged even in Turbo mode. That is what iFi suggests for high power users. 

Eco mode uses no battery at all and charges while being used
Normal only uses battery for very high volume and or spikes, and does not charge while being used
Turbo draws from the battery at all times, and does not charge while in use. 

When paired with a BC1.2 USB port, the device will charge at all times, faster than it can be drained, even when in Turbo mode. 

Dec 11, 2016 at 11:49 PM Post #9,182 of 12,086
Does the iDSD battery degrade if it is used in desktop mode over longer periods of time? Leaving a battery plugged in doesn't seem optimal for it. Is the iDSD intended more for portable use? What dac/amps can you compare it to with your THX00's? What is the iDSD's biggest improvements over your previous gear?

Dec 11, 2016 at 11:52 PM Post #9,183 of 12,086
That's a beautiful stand. My only concern would be how tall is it? With fixed connections, you really have to watch the bend radius. I have the Firestone stand with the double forks and while I'm not thrilled with the headphone mount, I think it's too short. I took my 400i's off of it a couple months ago because I felt it bended the cables at the connection too much. In fact, just recently sent the cable back for a warranty replacement. I'm sure it's fine given the beefier nature of the THX00 cables but personally, I'd error on the conservative side.

I thought about a lot of things before making the purchase, but apparently i still forgot to think about an important one, lol. Choosing the stand has almost been more of a headache than choosing the headphones themselves. The description says it's 25 centimeters high. I'll test it and if it's not tall enough, i'll return it, they have a one month return policy no questions asked. I so regret i'm not the DIY type of guy.

Dec 12, 2016 at 5:11 AM Post #9,184 of 12,086
Got my Ebonies this morning. Gotta say I've pleasantly surprised by the build quality this time! Fostex and Massdrop sure have learned their lesson. The packaging uses the same elements but they've now put the headphones in the pouch instead of leaving the pouch on the side. This means the cups are no longer in contact with bubble wrap. The wood is beautiful and the overall finish is simply stunning! perfect laquering!!!
Between the Mahoganies with their uneven polish and the Purplehearts with their bubblewrap marks, I was seriously worried about how the Ebonies would turn out.

Dec 12, 2016 at 9:55 AM Post #9,185 of 12,086
  Got my Ebonies this morning. Gotta say I've pleasantly surprised by the build quality this time! Fostex and Massdrop sure have learned their lesson. The packaging uses the same elements but they've now put the headphones in the pouch instead of leaving the pouch on the side. This means the cups are no longer in contact with bubble wrap. The wood is beautiful and the overall finish is simply stunning! perfect laquering!!!
Between the Mahoganies with their uneven polish and the Purplehearts with their bubblewrap marks, I was seriously worried about how the Ebonies would turn out.

Yep, the satisfying heft of the EB combined with Dekoni leather earpads make this a very robust and classy headphone.

Dec 12, 2016 at 12:18 PM Post #9,186 of 12,086
I am glad the longer wait payed off for the ebony buyers. I wouldn't have waited that long but seeing as how they turned out I am sure it was worth it for you. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 12, 2016 at 12:26 PM Post #9,187 of 12,086
glad to see everybody so happy with the ebony.  Now I don't have to be the only one out here singing the THX00 with ebony cups praise.  I really like that Fostex seem to have made all their cups cross grain cut.  Makes them a tad bit more boring maybe, as they all look alike, but I do honestly think it actually does make a difference for the better sound wise.  

Dec 12, 2016 at 3:22 PM Post #9,188 of 12,086
Does the iDSD battery degrade if it is used in desktop mode over longer periods of time? Leaving a battery plugged in doesn't seem optimal for it. Is the iDSD intended more for portable use? What dac/amps can you compare it to with your THX00's? What is the iDSD's biggest improvements over your previous gear?

I'm not sure how the battery will hold up over time, but I know MANY users leave them plugged in 24/7 including myself. And I don't think it's main purpose in life is portable use, it's just too big for that. I view more as being able to go portable in a pinch, which is a great option to have. Once the unit is fully charged, it will stop taking current when plugged in. 

My previous set-up was an Audioquest Dragonfly, running out to a Fiio E12. That set-up actually sounded very good, especially considering the price. I was always very impressed with the Dragonfly's sound quality. And of course the E12 provided plenty of juice, along with having a strong bass boost option. The iDSD sounds brighter than the DF/E12 combo, and has much "cleaner" and tighter bass overall. Soundstage also seemed to open up a bit. Best way I can describe the difference is the DF/E12 combo sounds very "shouty" compared to the iDSD, which is strange because I never noticed that before. But when switching back after using the iDSD for a couple days the difference was night and day. I couldn't believe how different it sounded. The iDSD is superior in every way. The only thing my old set-up had on the iDSD was the bigger bass boost from the E12, which is something of note for me since I'm a basshead at heart. I just adjusted my EQ presets and dialed up more sub bass for the iDSD. 

I hope that helps, and I apologize since I didn't have anything special before hand. But those are my comparisons none the less. 

Dec 12, 2016 at 3:29 PM Post #9,189 of 12,086
No, this is good stuff. I was flirting with the idea of an iDSD but I already have the m9XX. I think it's more of a side grade than upgrade and where the iDSD seemed most attractive (portable), it seems many don't use it in this fashion. It's good to know that it performs well with the TH-X00. It sounds as portable or less so than my m9XX.

Dec 12, 2016 at 3:38 PM Post #9,190 of 12,086
No, this is good stuff. I was flirting with the idea of an iDSD but I already have the m9XX. I think it's more of a side grade than upgrade and where the iDSD seemed most attractive (portable), it seems many don't use it in this fashion. It's good to know that it performs well with the TH-X00. It sounds as portable or less so than my m9XX.

I like the iDSD, but the only real upside to it over the m9XX is if you need the extra power (like you're powering a HE6) or really want the bass boost.  

Dec 12, 2016 at 4:05 PM Post #9,192 of 12,086
Is the bass boost much different than what can be achieved with an EQ?

No, it's just more convenient. And many people are allergic to anything that's called "EQ" for magical audio fairy reasons.

Dec 12, 2016 at 4:20 PM Post #9,193 of 12,086
No, it's just more convenient. And many people are allergic to anything that's called "EQ" for magical audio fairy reasons.

Good to know. I feel the convenience factor pays more dividends when portable or traveling but less so when at a desktop where you tend to have things set up more permanently. And I guess the iDSD seems to be more of a desktop fixture.

Dec 12, 2016 at 5:20 PM Post #9,194 of 12,086

That just made me lol. 

And yes the overall size of the iDSD makes it more practical for desktop use, even though it has the internal battery and offers respectable run times on battery only. Because I had the E12 already which is plenty of power on it's own, I haven't even tried using my iDSD on the go yet. I can tell you for sure it isn't going to fit in any pants or shorts pocket. If I wanted to commit to using it in a portable fashion, I'd have to come up with some way of carrying it. 

From what I've read the m9XX is a great DAC/AMP combo as well. I wouldn't think the iDSD would be much of an upgrade unless you needed the extra power like previously mentioned. One other thing to mention on the iDSD is the 3D option, which is implemented much like the bass boost. Meaning, it is a subtle change, not being overdone at all. To me it acts like a treble boost, as it adds a bit of brightness and "air" to the sound. So it works well with warm or darker sounding headphones. Another nice feature as you get the bass boost for "light" headphones, and the 3D for "dark" headphones. 

Dec 12, 2016 at 5:25 PM Post #9,195 of 12,086
That just made me lol. 

And yes the overall size of the iDSD makes it more practical for desktop use, even though it has the internal battery and offers respectable run times on battery only. Because I had the E12 already which is plenty of power on it's own, I haven't even tried using my iDSD on the go yet. I can tell you for sure it isn't going to fit in any pants or shorts pocket. If I wanted to commit to using it in a portable fashion, I'd have to come up with some way of carrying it. 

From what I've read the m9XX is a great DAC/AMP combo as well. I wouldn't think the iDSD would be much of an upgrade unless you needed the extra power like previously mentioned. One other thing to mention on the iDSD is the 3D option, which is implemented much like the bass boost. Meaning, it is a subtle change, not being overdone at all. To me it acts like a treble boost, as it adds a bit of brightness and "air" to the sound. So it works well with warm or darker sounding headphones. Another nice feature as you get the bass boost for "light" headphones, and the 3D for "dark" headphones. 

Yeah, the 3D is comparable to the Grace m9XX's crossfeed, albeit a bit different sounding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back