Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Dec 12, 2016 at 5:52 PM Post #9,196 of 12,086
Any thoughts on pairing TH-X00 with a Chord Mojo? I might have missed something on this thread.
I'm guessing it should be a pretty decent combo. Can't wait to find out when my ebonies arrive.

Dec 13, 2016 at 1:05 AM Post #9,197 of 12,086
Idsd, m9xx and mojo are all comparable. If you have one of those, imho it's pretty pointless to buy another unless for more power or anything else. Of course the difference in SQ is there but it's not much.
That said I like the m9xx the most. Then the idsd. All 3 drive my Mahogany without problems. For the THX00 the idsd's (littlest bit) brighter sound is the best match

Dec 13, 2016 at 10:17 AM Post #9,198 of 12,086
Idsd, m9xx and mojo are all comparable. If you have one of those, imho it's pretty pointless to buy another unless for more power or anything else. Of course the difference in SQ is there but it's not much.
That said I like the m9xx the most. Then the idsd. All 3 drive my Mahogany without problems. For the THX00 the idsd's (littlest bit) brighter sound is the best match

I have enough to buy an iDSD and am wondering if I should instead wait/save a bit more and get the mojo instead. I like that the iDSD has a 1/4" jack (i know it doesn't matter, but it's a nice touch), other than that though the chord mojo has everyone just praising it to heaven, more than I've seen for a lot of others DACs.

Dec 13, 2016 at 6:46 PM Post #9,199 of 12,086
  I have enough to buy an iDSD and am wondering if I should instead wait/save a bit more and get the mojo instead. I like that the iDSD has a 1/4" jack (i know it doesn't matter, but it's a nice touch), other than that though the chord mojo has everyone just praising it to heaven, more than I've seen for a lot of others DACs.

Both units have fantastic sound quality, and since the Fostex aren't power hungry the extra power from the iDSD won't be necessary. But with that being said, I personally always like having headroom so I appreciate the extra power on the iDSD. And it's nice knowing I have enough power on tap for ANY other headphone I may purchase in the future.

I think a big factor should be portability. If you plan on using either one on the go often, than the Mojo should win hands down. It's smaller footprint makes it much more portable friendly. If it's just for desktop use, you can't really go wrong with either unit. But I do think you get more for your money with the iDSD.  

Dec 13, 2016 at 7:05 PM Post #9,200 of 12,086

Get the mojo ,, way much better ,,
i have the Micro iDSD ,, it collecting dust .. very bad tonality ,, no air or sound stage .
i had the mojo for couple weeks ,, its just amazing ..

Dec 13, 2016 at 8:56 PM Post #9,201 of 12,086
Just got my Ebonies today, and have to say, they're pretty nice. Cups were perfectly lacquered as other people have mentioned, and putting it in the carrying bag was a nice touch too, almost a no-brainer solution that should have been done to prevent that Purpleheart fiasco. 

My Ebony pair surprisingly almost sounds like it has more sub-bass than my Purplehearts. It could have something to do with the fact that my Purplehearts currently have full Lawton dampening and the Dekoni pads, while the Ebonies are in their stock form. 

Dec 14, 2016 at 1:31 AM Post #9,204 of 12,086
So...I've just ordered a nice used X00, am pretty sure I'll want to increase the subbass and decrease treble based on what I've read. What are the best pads or other cheap mods for this? I saw a graph of alpha dogs I think, that looked to fit the bill.

Dec 14, 2016 at 2:02 AM Post #9,205 of 12,086
Man, I just love to read about shipping updates, especially when it's alternate pads. We obviously need more input since mostly everyone now has their X00, hence the lack of shipping talk. Please do tell us when it leaves its current dsestination. Can't wait to read where it goes next, and how long it takes to arrive at your door! :popcorn:

:rolleyes:

Couldn't agree more! Thrilling.

Dec 14, 2016 at 2:38 AM Post #9,206 of 12,086

Both sound identically transparent and clean to my ears - however, the Mojo is the smoother out of the two in direct comparison, as in taking the edge off the treble to some degree. So I'd say it is definitely a matter of preference which one you prefer.

What you should also take into account is that the iDSD has got an analogue volume pot that will have imbalance before the ~ 10/11 o'clock position.

They of course also differ in features: The iDSD has got an additional crossfeed circuit and unobtrusive bass boost, along with different digital filters in DAC mode. It can also be used as a pure headphone amplifier due to its analogue inputs.

The Mojo on the other hand is tiny and more lightweight.

To sum it up:

Features -> iDSD

Volume control: Mojo

Inputs: iDSD

Portability -> Mojo

Sound quality -> it's a draw and in the end, it will be a matter of personal preference which one you prefer

Dec 14, 2016 at 10:33 AM Post #9,208 of 12,086
  glad to see everybody so happy with the ebony.  Now I don't have to be the only one out here singing the THX00 with ebony cups praise.  I really like that Fostex seem to have made all their cups cross grain cut.  Makes them a tad bit more boring maybe, as they all look alike, but I do honestly think it actually does make a difference for the better sound wise.  

I definitely wouldn't call the grain on my ebonies boring. They have much more figure than the Massdrop photos that appear piano black. The (wonderful) high gloss makes it a little difficult to capture though, since I'm definitely not the best photographer.

Dec 14, 2016 at 10:56 AM Post #9,210 of 12,086
So...I've just ordered a nice used X00, am pretty sure I'll want to increase the subbass and decrease treble based on what I've read. What are the best pads or other cheap mods for this? I saw a graph of alpha dogs I think, that looked to fit the bill.

I have alpha pads on my TH-X00's. Calms the treble a bit because how thick the pads are creating some distance from the drivers. Plus, so much more comfortable than stock. My ears couldn't handle the stock pads for more than a couple hours. I also tried HM5 angled pleather, but the alpha pads wins over. Thinking of trying some ZMF lambskin oval or the newly renamed Ori (oval) pads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back