Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Dec 15, 2016 at 2:24 AM Post #9,226 of 12,086

Worried:

My phones are stuck in customs, but now I don't know what to believe anymore. The piano black look is gorgeous, and the brown look is ******* atrocious to my eyes. That's not what I paid for.

Difference in wood quality or difference in camera? I guess I'll see in a few days...

EDIT: Reading the responses on this page... apparently some of you like that it isn't super black? You like that you're not getting the unique visual property of ebony?

Probably not a good idea to buy HPs with wooden cups (natural variances etc) if you want a piano-black finish with no visible grain etc.
Other materials can provide that kind of uniformity. Wood doesn't - that's the attraction for most.

Given that the cups are made from ebony how can you say people aren't getting it's unique visual quality?

Anyway - I hope your pair are blacker than night and that you are happy with them. Could always stain them darker if you feel the need.

Dec 15, 2016 at 3:16 AM Post #9,227 of 12,086
  Gentlemen, is there life after X00?
What would the next step be? ZMF? or maybe the new giant Sony?

Loving my LCD-X right now, quite large improvements in every category other than bass quantity, but that's to be expected due to price differences.
I'd be willing to bet nothing under 1K is worth moving to from the X00.

Also, very relieved I wont be having to sell my mahoganies. Might try re-finishing them to remove the ding on the right cup.

Dec 15, 2016 at 3:34 AM Post #9,229 of 12,086
  Did those fit?
Is the price on their site for a single ring or a pair?

Yes, those will fit and that is per single ring...

Dec 15, 2016 at 3:45 AM Post #9,230 of 12,086
  Gentlemen, is there life after X00?
What would the next step be? ZMF? or maybe the new giant Sony?

Beyer T1 (but they NEED a GOOD amp.)
STAX - but again, you'll need another amp.

For the $, TH-X00 are a fantastic HP, especially if you want to be able to use your HPs straight from 'phone, DAP or PC soundcard.
They also scale pretty well if you do decide to spend $ on an amp.

Dec 15, 2016 at 3:48 AM Post #9,231 of 12,086
  Yes, those will fit and that is per single ring...

Based on this discussion from a few months ago, it appears that a Denon D2000 mounting plate is the correct one. Does that make sense?

If I'm trying to play around with some different pads, does anyone know of where to find the correct pad mounting plate for this model? 

Oh wow, so they use the old pad mounting plate from the Denon series and don't use the pad mounting plate used for the TH-600 and TH-900? (linked here: http://www.fullcompass.com/prod/272657-Fostex-1412552460)  I guess it's possible those are both the same part.  

I think they're a bit different from the TH-600/900 rings. I bought some from that site and they're definitely not the same. They don't fit as well as the rings on the X00's stock pads, either.

Dec 15, 2016 at 3:55 AM Post #9,232 of 12,086
Open headphone is not my choice - I'm looking for something new for my office rig
And I have an Odin as my open hp

I had x00 for a year - I was in the 1st batch of mahoganies, my s/n was 1961 )) but I sold them because just got tired of them
And the time has come for them to change the owner

So now I'm thinking about something new

Dec 15, 2016 at 4:00 AM Post #9,233 of 12,086

Based on this discussion from a few months ago, it appears that a Denon D2000 mounting plate is the correct one. Does that make sense?

I bought the a couple pair from fullcompass and they fit both TH-X00 and TH500RP...

Dec 15, 2016 at 9:12 AM Post #9,234 of 12,086
  Probably not a good idea to buy HPs with wooden cups (natural variances etc) if you want a piano-black finish with no visible grain etc.
Other materials can provide that kind of uniformity. Wood doesn't - that's the attraction for most.

Given that the cups are made from ebony how can you say people aren't getting it's unique visual quality?

Anyway - I hope your pair are blacker than night and that you are happy with them. Could always stain them darker if you feel the need.

Actually, I would say they have some merit to being upset. I don't think it's a matter of variance for the piano-black, I think it was just the lighting for their pictures on Massdrop. If I get mine in the correct light, they are the blackness as shown on Massdrop. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's my perspective on the matter, and I feel Massdrop should not advertise their products' looks under only specific lighting circumstances. The PH was similar, as it only had a very deep purple look under specific lighting, otherwise it was more grainy and very different looking.

Dec 15, 2016 at 10:13 AM Post #9,235 of 12,086

Worried:

My phones are stuck in customs, but now I don't know what to believe anymore. The piano black look is gorgeous, and the brown look is ******* atrocious to my eyes. That's not what I paid for.

Difference in wood quality or difference in camera? I guess I'll see in a few days...

EDIT: Reading the responses on this page... apparently some of you like that it isn't super black? You like that you're not getting the unique visual property of ebony?

To be clear, I was giddy when I got my ebonies and saw that they were NOT piano black. I ordered them for the smoother highs, not for the look (I thought I would like the Mahoganies better aesthetically), so when I was the awesome dark wood grain, I was very happy. But, obviously it's a taste thing. One of my other hobbies is shooting, and I love a well-figured walnut stocked shotgun too. I love wood grain.

Dec 15, 2016 at 10:18 AM Post #9,236 of 12,086

Actually, I would say they have some merit to being upset. I don't think it's a matter of variance for the piano-black, I think it was just the lighting for their pictures on Massdrop. If I get mine in the correct light, they are the blackness as shown on Massdrop. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's my perspective on the matter, and I feel Massdrop should not advertise their products' looks under only specific lighting circumstances. The PH was similar, as it only had a very deep purple look under specific lighting, otherwise it was more grainy and very different looking.

Here's all three in the same lighting if that helps anyone considering a pair of these.

Dec 15, 2016 at 10:18 AM Post #9,237 of 12,086

You can get a piano black finish using lacquer on wood.  It will take quite a few coats (15-20), sanding in between about every 5 coats, and then buffing them out to a shiny gloss finish.  My dad and I used to do this when building custom furniture.  Most times it was clear but once in a while a customer wanted a piano black finish.  It also how my old 75 Monza 2+2, a friends V8 Vega, and a few other cars in my high school gang had our cars painted.

Dec 15, 2016 at 10:34 AM Post #9,238 of 12,086
  Here's all three in the same lighting if that helps anyone considering a pair of these.

These are much more realistic expectations, and should be how they are presented on the drops. 

Dec 15, 2016 at 10:58 AM Post #9,240 of 12,086
  Glad to see the Ebony edition has better coating. But I am still surprised by the lack of initial impressions from the sound. It is still early, but come folks... The sound difference is where the real discussion should be at IMO

I returned my PH when I had the chance. Not to take advantage of Massdrop, but I was planning to sell either the PH or Ebony after I could compare them. Having the coating issue, I didn't want to risk even more of a loss if I ended up selling the PH.

However, I am thoroughly enjoying the Ebony! They have great extension and very controlled bass. I listen to mainly rock and metal. Guitars sound nice and crunchy. It's really great!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back