Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Dec 9, 2016 at 7:11 AM Post #9,154 of 12,086

Oh, thought you'd never ask: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Classic-Headphone-Headset-Earphone-Stand-Holder-Hanger-Aluminum-High-Quality-Fashion-Display-For-Headphones-Bracket-Metal/32730941323.html

Thanks! I searched, but didn't see them. 

Anytime. I usually aim for the most economic stuff, and for the price, these are real nice. I saw some nicely priced stands on GearBest.com as well. If you look around AliEx too, you may find some more stuff to you liking. This one though, I recommend strongly. Very solid.

Dec 9, 2016 at 11:24 AM Post #9,155 of 12,086

Oh, thought you'd never ask: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Classic-Headphone-Headset-Earphone-Stand-Holder-Hanger-Aluminum-High-Quality-Fashion-Display-For-Headphones-Bracket-Metal/32730941323.html

Looks an Amazon retailer has a similar stand (if not the same thing): http://a.co/fNNSrmD

Dec 9, 2016 at 11:28 AM Post #9,156 of 12,086

Looks an Amazon retailer has a similar stand (if not the same thing): http://a.co/fNNSrmD

Oh quite right. So you already have em there. That's good then.

I am not in US and ordering from there, for me, would cost an equal amount just for shipping. AliExpress works for me. Amazon will work for you. Yup. That's the exact same thing, for the same price. All good then I guess.

Dec 9, 2016 at 2:07 PM Post #9,158 of 12,086
Hi, anyone here has tried the Grado RS1i (not the RS1e version)? How does the TH-X00 compare to the RS1i? I'd like to hear your opinions, since I've been considering the TH-X00 for a while. Thanks a lot.

I have not heard any Grado, but it would need to have some kind of voodoo magic tuning done with its drivers to be able to match the low end sub-bass performance of a TH-X00... the mids and high may be comparable though, and the L/R channel balance seems to be VERY good on them. From reviews it seems it would be the Grado most like the TH-X00... but how close to the TH-X00, no idea. Would be thoroughly shocked if it came close to the sub-bass presentation of the TH-X00's though...

Beyond sound, build quality of the two are different... TH-X00 are unmistakeably the better assembled unit and also use very modern alloy metal that is lighter than plastics.

Dec 9, 2016 at 2:13 PM Post #9,159 of 12,086
Hi, anyone here has tried the Grado RS1i (not the RS1e version)? How does the TH-X00 compare to the RS1i? I'd like to hear your opinions, since I've been considering the TH-X00 for a while. Thanks a lot.

They have sort of similar energetic yet smooth treble, but otherwise are nothing alike.

Dec 9, 2016 at 8:14 PM Post #9,160 of 12,086

If you are looking for a complimentary headphone with a very different sound signature then these 2 would be great

Dec 9, 2016 at 8:45 PM Post #9,161 of 12,086
Around 20 hours of listening/burning-in and the frequency response is moving from sounding almost artificially extended to just being exceptionally revealing. So, yeah, some needed smoothing out is happening and I'm even more into the sound. It helps to listen to them at a lower volume as the sound quality is still in flux.

Dec 9, 2016 at 9:34 PM Post #9,162 of 12,086
Ebony is here! I am very shocked at the color. I expected them to be very dark and the grain not very noticeable. I am pleasantly surprised with the color and how much grain is visible. I will get some pictures up later. I can't wait to give them a listen ^.^

Dec 9, 2016 at 10:05 PM Post #9,163 of 12,086

I had the RS1e (not the older RS1i) for a week, and ended up hating it.  There was no bass.  I'm not especially a basshead, but the bottom was really lacking.  I compared it closely at the time with Senn HD600 & HiFiMan 400i, and it couldn't even come close to their fine and balanced sound.  Plus, I was surprised that Grado didn't even sand the wood on a $700 headphone - it was rough.  And the foam pads are not pleasant to the ears.  They fit OK but just don't feel like they're made for human skin, unlike the padding materials I have experienced in every other headphone.

I didn't have the TH-X00 when I had the Grados, but the X00 would have even more strongly exposed the absence of body and bass in the Rs sound.

No offense, Mr. Grado, and I owned and enjoyed your SR60 and the iGrado.  But that Rs sample, yuk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back