Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Aug 17, 2016 at 10:51 AM Post #8,131 of 12,086
  ..  Instead, I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to fix the problem so that the owners can do it themselves.  Anyone have experience sanding lacquer? Or maybe applying some kind of finish to the lacquer?

Yes, you can sand lacquer.  As with any sanding, work your way down to finer grades and clean it (use a tack rag, for instance) to remove all dust before re-coating.  Assuming this is lacquer (probably is), it's best to use lacquer on top.  If it's a type of varnish, best to use that.

Aug 17, 2016 at 11:16 AM Post #8,133 of 12,086

As an international customer I actually love Massdrop's DHL shipping, they give out proper updates every time and are very efficient - unlike USPS and other US based couriers, all the packages stop in Germany invariably meaning customs related issues (both in terms of wait time and international taxing) are heavily staggered, some times even completely removed upon being received by the recipient country as the object has already entered the European Union beforehand.

Actually, I'd be very happy if every single purchase I make online is handled by DHL rather than our national post, I don't know how their US based operations are run but they are great in Europe as far as I'm aware and from my personal experience for many years now, never had any issues at all.

Same — to my surprise, I got them without paying any import taxes (which are insanely high in Iceland), saved me 150 USD(!)

Aug 17, 2016 at 11:52 AM Post #8,134 of 12,086
  Looks like my headphones are going in a circle no with estimated arrival time...maybe the guys think they're not bad and passing them around? :wink:

My status looks almost exactly the same, except mine took 1 day longer.

I laughed reading the updates, it had taken 5 days and 2 cities to get the shipment back to the same location and status
(j/k I know that it's probably not that simple)

Aug 17, 2016 at 11:52 AM Post #8,135 of 12,086

Same — to my surprise, I got them without paying any import taxes (which are insanely high in Iceland), saved me 150 USD(!)

Indeed. Until a few months ago most of their European transactions and transport were handled by USPS exclusively and then passed onward to the recipient country's national post which incurred in ridiculous taxing and handling fees in my personal experience - had to pay like 120€ for the HA-200 monoblocks I bought about a year ago for example, then my brother purchased a DarkVoice on there recently just to be sure on what changed with DHL and he didn't have to pay a dime once it arrived. From what I've seen with all the orders I've received recently they get "re-branded" in Frankfurt so when they arrive the country marked is Germany rather than the US.

I buy tons of stuff on Massdrop constantly, it's rare for me to not be in for at least 2 or 3 drops every week, so this is life changing silly as it may sound.

Had this been the case when the Purplehearts were dropping I would've definitely had bought a pair, unfortunately it was right before DHL took over and I didn't really want to pay an extra 150€ at the time. Portuguese taxes are pretty crazy too, 23% + a arbitrary amount of customs handling/storage fees that can on their own total up to more than $50; for example I bought three different $25 set of keycaps during the July Bazaar, two of them came through without issue and the third got randomly selected by customs for inspection, whatever the reason may be, and I had to pay 25€ in fees because of that (more than the actual item cost). This happens rarely though.

The biggest thing about it is the money when it comes to expensive items such as headphones of course but not having to wait like four weeks (some times more) for a $40 artisan key cap to be processed by customs is incredibly relieving to me.

Here's hoping they continue to use DHL (at least for international orders) forever.

Aug 17, 2016 at 12:02 PM Post #8,136 of 12,086
Three more reports on MD

Blemishes on mine. I am very unhappy about what seems to be a very preventable error.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/fostex-x-massdrop-th-x00-purpleheart-headphones/talk/496378

just got mine in the UK, the metal cup holder is chipped and i have some bubble wrap marks. :frowning2:

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/fostex-x-massdrop-th-x00-purpleheart-headphones/talk/496403

This one is particularly interesting

I ended up having to use rubbing alcohol wipes to remove the grease or whatever was left over on the cups. It smoothed everything out. After I had to polish the cups with a furniture cleaning lotion and microfiber. I got paranoid about what everyone said and had to do something about the residue. It's glossy now and the coating is even. Might be a quick fix for a few.

Just an FYI though. Rubbing alcohol will eat through the finish and wood, so it has to be removed or neutralized quickly with an oil/polish.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/fostex-x-massdrop-th-x00-purpleheart-headphones/talk/496380

Seems like this can be fixed!

Aug 17, 2016 at 12:15 PM Post #8,137 of 12,086
Unfortunately DHL ship directly to the UK and goes to their agent who requests import duties before release. I had to pay £76.82. Glad I  got these headphones though

Aug 17, 2016 at 12:21 PM Post #8,138 of 12,086
I am one of those affected with circular smudges on both sides of the headphones. I received the headphones yesterday and was not pleased to see those imperfections. Sent Massdrop Customer Support a message, hoping they will do something about it. Mine are #1902 by the way.

Aug 17, 2016 at 1:23 PM Post #8,139 of 12,086
Listening to my Mahogany TH-X00 on my HTC 10 now. Sounds fantastic, and plenty loud at just over half volume. I'm not using Boomsound, because that always just seems to make it more bassy, and these are plenty bassy enough for me already.

Maybe they'd sound better with an amp and a DAC, and I'd like to try one at some point, but they're easy to drive headphones and the HTC 10 seems to be doing a fine job of it.
th
Listening to my Mahogany TH-X00 on my HTC 10 now. Sounds fantastic, and plenty loud at just over half volume. I'm not using Boomsound, because that always just seems to make it more bassy, and these are plenty bassy enough for me already.

Maybe they'd sound better with an amp and a DAC, and I'd like to try one at some point, but they're easy to drive headphones and the HTC 10 seems to be doing a fine job of it.

Thank you so much!

Aug 17, 2016 at 1:46 PM Post #8,140 of 12,086

On that last one, the guy is being a little paranoid thinking that alcohol would "eat through the finish and wood". Nope, that won't happen.

Aug 17, 2016 at 3:32 PM Post #8,141 of 12,086
I usually listen to music every day, but sometimes there are some gaps. 1-2 days due to work or 1-2 weeks due to holiday. Every time I get back to my X00s and Mojo (+Cinnamon cable, bitperfect mode and at least Flac) I am very much impressed by the sound. For a guy like me, who wants to keep the budget of DAC and headphones under £1000 this combo is a great deal. Also fits my music preference very well (Vibrasphere, Koan, Entheogenic, Shpongle, Liquid Soul, CBA, Solar Fields, etc.) where bass and details are important.
Unfortunately no opened back can could give me the bass quantity and quality I need, however I am almost equally into spacious and natural sound that opened back cans provide. Bass however is even more important for me, especially with the mentioned music genres. So, no matter how much I loved my X2s, which I loved very much, preferred them over HD600s, X00s just blow these guys away with the amazing bass and resolution. I am more than happy to trade in some soundstage and spaciousness for this bass, resolution and overall experience. Especially when looking at the price tag. Happy X00 owner here. :)

Aug 17, 2016 at 4:00 PM Post #8,142 of 12,086
SN 00039, and mine have the bubble-wrap marks. I'm wondering if it effected the earlier units to a greater extent? Honestly though, while it shouldn't have happened, I have to have a very specific angle of light to even see the problem, and since these are typically on my head, I can't see it anyway. Looking at them straight on doesn't reveal anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back