Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Aug 17, 2016 at 9:24 AM Post #8,116 of 12,086
I mostly defend massdrop and fostex but the QC stuff with with the Purple Hearts, combined with the issues they've had with the new HiFiMan products, I think speaks to why other companies don't use their model of revealing a product and then taking orders with a target delivery date before the product is in production. Customers will inevitably get anxious, leading to either freak outs when there are delays (see the HiFiMan massdrop thread) or production rushed, leading to issues like the bubblewrap finish one. This seems like it was 100% due to rushing these out the door to hit deadlines. Either they were sent out too soon, or they used a finish that wasn't properly tested. Anyway, it will be very interesting to see what massdrop does, as sending out replacement cups seems incredibly unlikely from both a sense of they likely simply don't have extra cups and it would void warranties.

Aug 17, 2016 at 9:27 AM Post #8,117 of 12,086
And in the case of the Ebony drop, if they mess up the lacquer, they can't even do replacement cups because of the limited supply of wood, and sanding it down and redoing the lacquer sounds really expensive.

But this is so weird, because a lot of the premium in Fostex lies in the incredible lacquer finish of the TH-900! (Made in Japan, I know, and this is made in China, but still... this has to reflect poorly on Fostex as well, and the Japanese traditionally don't like to lose face.)

But whoever said 50% of customers were affected better back that up with some hard data, because isn't it still to early to say? Still, I think we're up to 6 people now in a 4000 unit drop, which feels like 6 too many especially at this market segment.

(EDIT: Apparently there's more people on Massdrop's own boards, but I have no idea if people use different nicknames there or if it's the same people.)

Aug 17, 2016 at 9:36 AM Post #8,118 of 12,086
Yeah, I'm not so sure it's a huge issue, I've seen two others comment about it on MD

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/fostex-x-massdrop-th-x00-purpleheart-headphones/talk/496152
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/fostex-x-massdrop-th-x00-purpleheart-headphones/talk/496000

Aug 17, 2016 at 9:45 AM Post #8,120 of 12,086
Aug 17, 2016 at 9:47 AM Post #8,121 of 12,086
Most people who buy these headphones don't post on Massdrop or Headfi; you're not gonna get 2000 people posting their issues.  I'm having this issue and I agree that a lot of people are also probably having this issue because quite a few have already mentioned it.  It also seems like a manufacturing problem that would affect a large portion/batch of these headphones due to the nature of the issue.  Someone wrapped a bunch of the Purpleheart cups in bubble wrap before they were done curing properly (that's what I think at least).   I would be very surprised if Massdrop did anything to rectify this, because that doesn't seem like their business model.  Instead, I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to fix the problem so that the owners can do it themselves.  Anyone have experience sanding lacquer? Or maybe applying some kind of finish to the lacquer?

Aug 17, 2016 at 9:51 AM Post #8,122 of 12,086
Just received mine #484 and no imperfections whatsoever. Look great and sound nice straight out of the box, will burn in for some time and see how they improve.

Aug 17, 2016 at 9:59 AM Post #8,124 of 12,086
I mostly defend massdrop and fostex but the QC stuff with with the Purple Hearts, combined with the issues they've had with the new HiFiMan products, I think speaks to why other companies don't use their model of revealing a product and then taking orders with a target delivery date before the product is in production. Customers will inevitably get anxious, leading to either freak outs when there are delays (see the HiFiMan massdrop thread) or production rushed, leading to issues like the bubblewrap finish one. This seems like it was 100% due to rushing these out the door to hit deadlines. Either they were sent out too soon, or they used a finish that wasn't properly tested. Anyway, it will be very interesting to see what massdrop does, as sending out replacement cups seems incredibly unlikely from both a sense of they likely simply don't have extra cups and it would void warranties.

Exactly this. This is 100% preventable and will certainly tarnish their reputation.

I absolutely love the sound here, but it is very highly unlikely I will buy into these huge releases again without more caution.

My main response to this is that it is just sad. Considering the difficulty of sourcing this particular wood, unprofessionally corrupting the finish is an affront to the rarity of the materials themselves that certainly played a huge role in the marketing for this headphone.

The fact that we had to wait for several months should ensure just the opposite of a rushed delivery. We are also waiting for quality and expectations for quality control should and will be higher, especially considering the emphasis the Fostex lineup has usually placed on aesthetics of headphones. One or two instances is acceptable so long as the problem is redressed. This is looking like a significant, if not majority, of the batch was corrupted by careless rushing (too early to say but why so many among the first arrivals in the wild?)

Essentially, I have been a huge Massdrop fan without a single complaint. Now this just put a really bad taste in my mouth.

Aug 17, 2016 at 10:09 AM Post #8,125 of 12,086
  If Massdrop is reading this, please stop using DHL.

8/12 Shipped from Edison, NJ; 1.5 hours from my home. (Estimated delivery...8/19. 7 days!?)
8/13 DHL distribution center, Secaucus NJ, 40min from my home.
8/15 Tendered to USPS.
It's 8/17 and there have been no changes to tracking on USPS or DHL.

I'm not so impatient that I can't wait, but DHL is staggering in its inefficiency. 

Looks like my headphones are going in a circle no with estimated arrival time...maybe the guys think they're not bad and passing them around? :wink:

Aug 17, 2016 at 10:26 AM Post #8,127 of 12,086
Did you really just post your tracking information? Lol.

I'm as anxious as you guys and hoping I don't get one with a messed up finish.  Seeing them going in a circle is not helping. lol

Aug 17, 2016 at 10:42 AM Post #8,129 of 12,086
I think waiting 1 extra week would not have killed anyone and would have allowed the clear coat to dry properly. This is going to not fare well for Massdrop IMHO. It will definitely affect any future drops of this nature that I participate in.  I'd rather spend another $50 - $100 elsewhere and not wait 3 months or so and had a better-delivered final product. Even the box wasn't a great packaging.

All they had to do was wait for the finish to dry and then use a proper shipping service which would have resulted in them arriving to the customer at the same time vs. using DHL Mail. I wonder if saving a few bucks on shipping is worth all of this bad press on multiple fronts and the loss of customers for life?

Aug 17, 2016 at 10:43 AM Post #8,130 of 12,086
The finishing is less acceptable to me than the DHL, which just seems to be par for the course.

As an international customer I actually love Massdrop's DHL shipping, they give out proper updates every time and are very efficient - unlike USPS and other US based couriers, all the packages stop in Germany invariably meaning customs related issues (both in terms of wait time and international taxing) are heavily staggered, some times even completely removed upon being received by the recipient country as the object has already entered the European Union beforehand.

Actually, I'd be very happy if every single purchase I make online is handled by DHL rather than our national post, I don't know how their US based operations are run but they are great in Europe as far as I'm aware and from my personal experience for many years now, never had any issues at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back