Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Aug 17, 2016 at 5:53 PM Post #8,146 of 12,086
If anyone else tries the rubbing alcohol wipes with success please post, could be an easy cure if works. I don't have mine here yet but it's unsettling knowing that they will probably have the same marks on.

Aug 17, 2016 at 6:57 PM Post #8,148 of 12,086
Picked my Purplehearts up during lunchbreak today and have been wearing them while working (listening to FLAC files through my Galaxy TAB S2 and Audioquest DFR). Mine are #01171 and have lot of the bubble wrap marks on both cups. Will post pictures when I get home. Wish they would have let the lacquer properly cure before sending them out. Still...absolutely love these cans staight out the box, and I know they will only get better the more play time they get. They definitely initially sound like they have more bass than my modded AH-D2000's, but also a little less forward mids. I definitely don't like the ear pads compared to the J-Money lambskins I have on the D2000's....these seem more like on-ear pads and are no where near as comfortable as the J-Monies. Will see how the J-Monies sound with the Purplehearts.

Aug 17, 2016 at 7:12 PM Post #8,150 of 12,086
  for the love of god, please everyone think twice before using solvents on them. 

Alcohol probably won't do anything, and do not use acetone

I just want to echo inertianinja telling everyone to not use acetone. It is a much stronger solvent than most people realize. My roomate once left a cotton ball of nailpolish  remover (mostly acetone) on our kitchen table and it ate straight through the clear coating.

Aug 17, 2016 at 9:40 PM Post #8,151 of 12,086
Pictures of mine:

Overall..
i-6SWgsRf.jpg

A visual capture of the bubblewrap imprint issue...
i-WckRgzn.jpg

Stock earpads (L) versus J-Money earpads (R)...
i-7NrcdZ2.jpg

J-Monies on Purpleheart (have not listened to them yet, about to...)..
i-SR8Q7Dr.jpg

Aug 17, 2016 at 10:17 PM Post #8,152 of 12,086
Okay, what I can tell from going between the J-Money and stock pads so far is the J-Money gives a slight reduction in bass quantity, but the stock pads make it sound a tad bloated in comparison. So it has PLENTY OF BASS with the J-Money pads, but cleaner and tighter through all frequencies, the mids seem a little more forward and more defined along with the highs as well. I think I'll keep the J-Money pads on it and compare the stocks again once get a few-hundred hours on the Purplehearts.

Aug 17, 2016 at 10:26 PM Post #8,153 of 12,086
Okay, what I can tell from going between the J-Money and stock pads so far is the J-Money gives a slight reduction in bass quantity, but the stock pads make it sound a tad bloated in comparison. So it has PLENTY OF BASS with the J-Money pads, but cleaner and tighter through all frequencies, the mids seem a little more forward and more defined along with the highs as well. I think I'll keep the J-Money pads on it and compare the stocks again once get a few-hundred hours on the Purplehearts.

Can you post a link to buy these ear pads please and thank you. 

also I got my PH yesterday (1493) and I haven't noticed any marks on them 

Aug 17, 2016 at 10:38 PM Post #8,154 of 12,086
Can you post a link to buy these ear pads please and thank you. 

also I got my PH yesterday (1493) and I haven't noticed any marks on them 

You can't get these anymore - I'm just trying to provide a data point. The J-Money's were a recommended and popular earpad many years ago for the Denon AH-D series when in production...and were about $85 if I remember correctly. These are ~7 year old pads....still look and feel near brand new.

Aug 18, 2016 at 12:24 AM Post #8,159 of 12,086
They sound better than I was expecting, and I was already expecting an improvement over the AH-D2000. Only have a few hours on them, so they are just starting break in (my D2000's got much better after about 150 hours of use) The PH have redonkulous bass...better right from the start in every way than fully broken in and modded D2000. The J-Money pads present the bass in a manner I like better than the stock pads, still more of everything than the D2000's can bring. The mids and highs are better in clarity and detail as well...very much a noticeable upgrade from the D2000's. A very easy going and pleasant sound experience...could listen to these for days straight...

More pictures:

i-dpWzvGn.jpg

i-BTk4Z7X.jpg

i-pPWLQFj.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back