Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Aug 15, 2016 at 9:15 PM Post #8,057 of 12,086
The most "closed" headphones I've ever had was the DT770, otherwise my CIEM rule for music isolation. 
biggrin.gif

Aug 15, 2016 at 9:18 PM Post #8,058 of 12,086
I don't recall liking my original TH-X00 Mahogany as much as my current listen to the TH-X00 PurpleHeart.

Chain has changed - I still have the original Grace Design m9xx I was using then, and will try it again. Currently though, what's on my desk is the Modi Multibit feeding Magni 2 Uber. I'm really digging a few varieties of music. I suspect the bass characteristics, versus the original, are helping me to enjoy it more - bass is there, but allowing me to cut through to the sound of the highs. Digging into some Division Bell tonight.

Hope all your shipments show soon enough!

Aug 15, 2016 at 9:28 PM Post #8,059 of 12,086
  Yum, sounds like what I was expecting of these cans. I still wonder if these cans can sound close to the quality of the HE-400. I can't use my HE-400 during the day due to outside noise, the PH can remedy that issue :p

I only have had experience with the 400i and those cans are more treble-forward than the PHs. Well, the treble might be somewhat comparable but the bass is totally different (much louder, maybe not planar-tight). Actually I had to get rid of the 400i because they were too fatiguing but I feel like I won't have any trouble listening to the PHs, if that means anything.

On the naming thing, they leak a tiny bit of sound, so they're semi-something. They SOUND like closed cans although with some pretty decent soundstage so that's why I'd call them AWESOME. 

Aug 15, 2016 at 9:30 PM Post #8,060 of 12,086
PM-3s are closed headphones with superb isolation and no sound leak even at elevated levels. The downside is a smaller sound stage. The Fostex though are not that closed and their sound stage is therefore better.

Aug 15, 2016 at 10:04 PM Post #8,062 of 12,086
i seriously want to know what under that pleather of questionable durability.

Foam about 3/16" thick with an inner cloth surface is wrapped around the underside of the top surface of the pleather and fastened along the 2 seams underneath the headband. Then there are 2 white plastic strips, 1 longer one and 1 shorter one that run above and below the inner stainless metal band, to keep each of the adjustment mechanism 'arms' for the cups from digging into the pleather and your head.

If you took the headband pleather and plastic strips off it would look like this (other than the modified magnesium housing pieces):

i-cK4p624.jpg

Aug 16, 2016 at 12:23 AM Post #8,064 of 12,086
Foam about 3/16" thick with an inner cloth surface is wrapped around the underside of the top surface of the pleather and fastened along the 2 seams underneath the headband. Then there are 2 white plastic strips, 1 longer one and 1 shorter one that run above and below the inner stainless metal band, to keep each of the adjustment mechanism 'arms' for the cups from digging into the pleather and your head.

If you took the headband pleather and plastic strips off it would look like this (other than the modified magnesium housing pieces):

i-cK4p624.jpg

wow is it hard to disassemble and reassemble the headband?

Aug 16, 2016 at 2:35 AM Post #8,065 of 12,086

Out of the box it was bass light. After 12 hours of burn in, the bass has filled out some, but the sub-bass still needs more oomph.

Ok, so now we know why there is a price difference between the TH-X00 and the TH-900, because the TH-900 has got more oomph than anything out there. :wink:

EDIT:
  I already like these a lot.  They sound great for the type of music I like.
https://youtu.be/2Qsz91jDwA0
https://youtu.be/pyUZh_Cbw6Q
https://youtu.be/eteFo483GUs
https://youtu.be/LBPKDxWgTrs

There are many others... but I just love me some Bass Guitar, Stand up Bass, Cello... regular guitar... I guess string instruments.. .Haha.  So, yes, I have a lot of Victor Wooten, Marcus Miller, Stanley Clarke, Wayman Tisdale and others. Good stuff! Thanks Fostex and Massdrop!  Now, to break these in and look into the Lawton Mods.

Wow, thanks for the tips! That first video was pretty crazy.

Aug 16, 2016 at 2:59 AM Post #8,066 of 12,086
  I don't recall liking my original TH-X00 Mahogany as much as my current listen to the TH-X00 PurpleHeart.

Chain has changed - I still have the original Grace Design m9xx I was using then, and will try it again. Currently though, what's on my desk is the Modi Multibit feeding Magni 2 Uber. I'm really digging a few varieties of music. I suspect the bass characteristics, versus the original, are helping me to enjoy it more - bass is there, but allowing me to cut through to the sound of the highs. Digging into some Division Bell tonight.

Hope all your shipments show soon enough!

My beefy Theta DS Pro progeny v. A feeding my Asgard 2 really makes the TH-X00 Mahogony fill out with bass. The Chord Mojo is a fantastic DAC but it doesn't have the weight or oomph of the old Theta.. tight bass response but not subterranean rumble.

This is after spending almost a month in Peru and coming back home to my PC setup and instantly noticing this. It's a lot fuller sounding as how I'd imagine the Yggdrasil or MSB Analog would sound but the the latter more refined.

also to note: I don't play with EQ. I'm sure there are benefits but I'd rather test what the headphone and my source has to offer. You find out the hard way that your source sucks.. that is what I heard then I compared my old Bifrost Uber to the Theta. It was like night and day in soundstage and separation.. I credit the "burrito filter".. all hail burrito filter!

Aug 16, 2016 at 4:52 AM Post #8,067 of 12,086
I wish people would stop rlcalling the TH-X00s close back as they are not. Semi-closed yes, as they leak so much that are not suitable for office environment. Hence the "amazing" sound stage for a "closed" can, ha ha ha!

See, I read this a lot, but my Mahogany TH-X00s just arrived and I don't feel like isolate particularly poorly. Someone sitting next to me didn't hear any noticeable noise when I was playing tracks at a "any louder would hurt" volume. I can hear outside noises maybe a little bit more than with the M50. Reading some of the comments, I guess I expected them to have isolation somewhere between a closed headphone and an open one, but the actual level of isolation was much closer to the standard closed headphones I tried.

Anyways, these headphones are great! They seem every bit as technically capable as my 1964 V6 CIEM but have a markedly different sound signature - quite a bit more bass! I like the TH-X00 better on most tracks, but there are some things that do better with the neutrality of the V6, and the convenience of CIEMs for portable use can't be beat.

Thinking I'll probably pick up my first amp and DAC for these. Probably some variant of the Modi/Magni combo. Other than that, I can tell that I'll be satisfied with my current set up for a long time!

Aug 16, 2016 at 8:52 AM Post #8,068 of 12,086
Hot damn! My PH was slated by DHL to be here on the 18th, but it already got to my local post office at 4:22 this morning! Looks like I'll get to listen to it tonight!

Aug 16, 2016 at 11:04 AM Post #8,070 of 12,086
Got my Purplehearts yesterday and I'll do a little review in the next few days comparing the TH-X00 to my HD600s and DT1350s.  In the meantime, I thought I'd share a few photos to get all those still waiting super hyped on that Purpleheart train.  These headphones are absolutely beautiful... best looking I've ever seen, by far (These are taken with my phone, but I'll include photos with my camera in the review).  They sound amazing too, but I'll get into that more later.  

EDIT: I wanted to note that the lacquer on these headphones is NOT perfect.  Under close examination in good lighting, you will see imperfections on the lacquer coating that look like kind of like fingerprints/not totally smooth.  However, in everyday circumstances and unless you're really looking for the imperfections in good lighting, you will not see any.  These imperfections do not show up in the pictures below and everything you see is the grain and characteristics of these particular wood cups.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back