Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Aug 15, 2016 at 4:15 PM Post #8,042 of 12,086
  After more burn in, the bass has showed up in a big way, from top to bottom. Now has the expected V-shape FR.

My Mahogany's did the same.  First few hours was all midbass and not much else.  With more hours the sound got progressively more even and stabilized with the typical Mahogany balance; punchy bass, slightly recessed mids and slightly silibant highs which probably helps perceived detail.  Hoping the PH's will be a bit more "U" shaped.

My PH's shipped on 8/11 and DHL handed it off to USPS Parcel Select on 8/12.  ETA is 8/20 but I'd bet they won't meet that date.  I'm 3K miles across the ocean and In my experience USPS Parcel Select to here takes an extra 1 1/2 to 2 weeks from the 48 state based ETA.  
It feels like it gets to the mainland coast and they throw it in the water with my address on it so it can float here with the tides.
My 2nd drop Mahogany's shipped via UPS and arrived in 3 days.  Hope Massdrop saved big bucks shipping since it's costing me an extra 2 weeks transit time.

Aug 15, 2016 at 4:28 PM Post #8,043 of 12,086
  After more burn in, the bass has showed up in a big way, from top to bottom. Now has the expected V-shape FR.

How much burn-in? I popped mine onto the stand and tossed some Saint-Germain at them. I figured I'd give them an hour before popping them on my head to see how they sound.

Aug 15, 2016 at 5:17 PM Post #8,044 of 12,086
Congrats for everyone who already got their Purpleheart! Living continents away, it will still take a couple of weeks before it reached me. How I wish Massdrop will offer expedited shipping option in time like this. :)

Aug 15, 2016 at 7:28 PM Post #8,045 of 12,086
I already like these a lot.  They sound great for the type of music I like.
https://youtu.be/2Qsz91jDwA0
https://youtu.be/pyUZh_Cbw6Q
https://youtu.be/eteFo483GUs
https://youtu.be/LBPKDxWgTrs

There are many others... but I just love me some Bass Guitar, Stand up Bass, Cello... regular guitar... I guess string instruments.. .Haha.  So, yes, I have a lot of Victor Wooten, Marcus Miller, Stanley Clarke, Wayman Tisdale and others. Good stuff! Thanks Fostex and Massdrop!  Now, to break these in and look into the Lawton Mods.

Aug 15, 2016 at 7:52 PM Post #8,047 of 12,086
  what do you guys think of the build quality of the thx00. whenever i touch the headband i can't help but think that it feels cheap.

Without a doubt, that is the cheapest feeling part of the entire headphone. I guess a "beyer" headband will give it a better feel quality.

Aug 15, 2016 at 8:31 PM Post #8,049 of 12,086
The gloss finish on the cups is actually the least durable. Be careful because if they get a nick it will cause a white spot to show up. The headband is pretty durable. As much as the protein leather looks and feels cheap, mine on my D1001 lasted 10 years.

Aug 15, 2016 at 8:35 PM Post #8,050 of 12,086
The gloss finish on the cups is actually the least durable. Be careful because if they get a nick it will cause a white spot to show up. The headband is pretty durable. As much as the protein leather looks and feels cheap, mine on my D1001 lasted 10 years.

then i really have to be careful not to drop them on the floor. wish i still had carpet flooring.

Aug 15, 2016 at 8:46 PM Post #8,051 of 12,086

then i really have to be careful not to drop them on the floor. wish i still had carpet flooring.

I dropped mine literally 4 inches onto my desk and got a noticeable white mark.

Aug 15, 2016 at 8:52 PM Post #8,052 of 12,086
Rushed home with my PHs and plugged them into the M9XX and already this is the perfect step up from the X2. Deep, loud bass that is fairly tight and natural and doesn't consume the mids. The slightly recessed mids help with soundstage for closed back and the treble is clear and extended with no sibilance. And they haven't even been broken in yet! I feel comfortable selling off some of my other less-used fancy cans and enjoying these. Although I don't think I can part with my X2s. They're too versatile (great for gaming or DAPs or any around-the-house uses).

Aug 15, 2016 at 8:59 PM Post #8,053 of 12,086
I wish people would stop rlcalling the TH-X00s close back as they are not. Semi-closed yes, as they leak so much that are not suitable for office environment. Hence the "amazing" sound stage for a "closed" can, ha ha ha!

Aug 15, 2016 at 9:10 PM Post #8,054 of 12,086
Closed, semi-closed, semi-open... I guess they're technically semi-closed? Sorry I got my naming convention wrong grammar police! Hehehe. Just messing. I avoided the original convo on the topic of what to call these cans and was just trying to get along. But people seem to really care about getting it right....

Aug 15, 2016 at 9:12 PM Post #8,055 of 12,086
Rushed home with my PHs and plugged them into the M9XX and already this is the perfect step up from the X2. Deep, loud bass that is fairly tight and natural and doesn't consume the mids. The slightly recessed mids help with soundstage for closed back and the treble is clear and extended with no sibilance. And they haven't even been broken in yet! I feel comfortable selling off some of my other less-used fancy cans and enjoying these. Although I don't think I can part with my X2s. They're too versatile (great for gaming or DAPs or any around-the-house uses).

Yum, sounds like what I was expecting of these cans. I still wonder if these cans can sound close to the quality of the HE-400. I can't use my HE-400 during the day due to outside noise, the PH can remedy that issue :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back