Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Aug 14, 2016 at 3:23 AM Post #7,996 of 12,086
Looks like E-MU is getting ready to release their detachable 2.5mm cable version soon for only $50 higher than normal, totaling at $499.

Interesting to see what connectors Fostex goes with on the X00, probably the same as the 610 and 900mk2. Hopefully the price change will only be ~$50, as well.

Aug 14, 2016 at 3:37 AM Post #7,997 of 12,086
$50 for removable connectors is a little high IMO.  The cost of SMC connectors is only $8 and I think the 2.5mm ones are even cheaper.  I would rather get the current one and just add the SMC connectors since they don't require any cutting of the cups or baffle, granted I can do the mod my self so that's something that others may not feel comfortable with or able to do.

Another reason I don't really like the 2.5mm connectors is that I've noticed that the 3.5mm connectors I've used with the MDR-7506 and old M50 over time have become too loose and can the connection can be microphonic at times.  I did a 3.5mm on my K553 and after a few days changed it to a SMC dual entry, a much more secure connection and no microphonics due to the connector/cable interface.

Aug 14, 2016 at 8:52 AM Post #8,001 of 12,086
@DavidA, did you use Gold plated connectors? I've found them to have higher tolerances than standard ones and the fit is much more snug. When I was building gaming cables for the K7XX line, I switched to all gold plated connectors and the customers liked them better as well.

Aug 14, 2016 at 9:59 AM Post #8,002 of 12,086
$50 for removable connectors is a little high IMO.  The cost of SMC connectors is only $8 and I think the 2.5mm ones are even cheaper.  I would rather get the current one and just add the SMC connectors since they don't require any cutting of the cups or baffle, granted I can do the mod my self so that's something that others may not feel comfortable with or able to do.

Another reason I don't really like the 2.5mm connectors is that I've noticed that the 3.5mm connectors I've used with the MDR-7506 and old M50 over time have become too loose and can the connection can be microphonic at times.  I did a 3.5mm on my K553 and after a few days changed it to a SMC dual entry, a much more secure connection and no microphonics due to the connector/cable interface.

Not everyone can do it themselves, and having it done by a modder costs over $100. I say it's a damn good deal, especially since the warranty isn't being voided by modding.

YMMV

Aug 14, 2016 at 10:19 AM Post #8,003 of 12,086
Not everyone can do it themselves, and having it done by a modder costs over $100. I say it's a damn good deal, especially since the warranty isn't being voided by modding.

YMMV

I've done removable cable mods for for thx00/of phones and never charged 100. Thats too high for otherwise a simple mod except for ones the require grinding and more modification, but still didn't charge 100.

The EMU machined part will cost people $70 if they want to add it to their headphones with out buying an EMI Teak tho. $50 isnt bad to the full price of the teaks and imo its well worth the price.

Aug 14, 2016 at 3:58 PM Post #8,006 of 12,086
Just wanted to post an update on playing with polyfill. When I originally stuffed the cups, I tried to mimic the thick polyfill/acoustic material included in the th900s cups. To do that I took polyfill, layered and repeatedly flattened it. I tried to be consistent between both cups, initially making two sheets of flattened poly fill that were approximately the same size, then folding them twice, flattening them and stuffing it in the cups. The result? Deeper soundstage, likely due to a dampened bass response and upper mids (presence region).

After reading more about why polyfill is added to speakers (if done right, some say it can double the perceived cavity size of the speaker), and how only a small puffed out amount should be used in this application, I wanted to see if that approach would benefit the X00s more. To do this I removed about 1/2 of the polyfill that was originally in each cup and thoroughly kneaded it out to form a consistent texture and made sure both cups still had a near equal amount. The result was slightly better soundstage depth over stock but less depth than the previous configuration. The bass was noticeably more impactful now though, probably still lower than stock though. Again, levels of bass and presence region are suspected as those seem to contribute to soundstage depth here. But I do like them a lot now, still have that great impact they originally had but now make some sounds that are out of head. Note this was done in conjunction with hm5 pleather pads with a cotton filter added in front of the driver.

Aug 14, 2016 at 8:57 PM Post #8,009 of 12,086
Modding doesn't void warranty?

Sorry, what I meant is that modding will void the warranty, making this new detachable cable version a better deal than doing so.

I've done removable cable mods for for thx00/of phones and never charged 100. Thats too high for otherwise a simple mod except for ones the require grinding and more modification, but still didn't charge 100.

The EMU machined part will cost people $70 if they want to add it to their headphones with out buying an EMI Teak tho. $50 isnt bad to the full price of the teaks and imo its well worth the price.

You are an asset to the community, my friend. I was just throwing a ballpark figure of what most modders do charge.

Aug 14, 2016 at 9:12 PM Post #8,010 of 12,086
  @DavidA, did you use Gold plated connectors? I've found them to have higher tolerances than standard ones and the fit is much more snug. When I was building gaming cables for the K7XX line, I switched to all gold plated connectors and the customers liked them better as well.

Usually gold plated but sometimes if I can find a good deal on rhodium plated I will use it since its a little more durable IMO.

YMMV

​Agree with you that if still within warranty might not want to do the mod since you will void it.

like fixing cars, parts cost more separately.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back