Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Aug 13, 2016 at 3:06 PM Post #7,981 of 12,086
tbh. thx00 hd650 hd600 400i k7xx are headphone i considered in the same league. really comes down to preference at the end. i keep multiple headphone because i swap around them alot depending on my mood.

The K7XX is not in the same league as the X00 or 400i. It may be one of my favorite headphones of all time, but there is some noticeable grain there which makes it less resolving.

I ended up selling the K7XX and rebuying the 400i so I can have an open headphone that matched/bettered the X00's sound quality. The K7XX is good for the price, but slightly inferior.

Aug 13, 2016 at 3:09 PM Post #7,982 of 12,086
The K7XX is not in the same league as the X00 or 400i. It may be one of my favorite headphones of all time, but there is some noticeable grain there which makes it less resolving.

I ended up selling the K7XX and rebuying the 400i so I can have an open headphone that matched/bettered the X00's sound quality. The K7XX is good for the price, but slightly inferior.

some may like the k7xx for its large soundstage. atleast that portion beats the 400i. on some song i actually prefer the k7xx over my 400i.

Aug 13, 2016 at 3:17 PM Post #7,983 of 12,086
some may like the k7xx for its large soundstage. atleast that portion beats the 400i. on some song i actually prefer the k7xx over my 400i.

I did, too, but that was because of its sound signature, not quality.

Aug 13, 2016 at 4:02 PM Post #7,985 of 12,086
I see, great! Appreciate your input a lot. Thanks again.

A perfect endgame amp for me would be one that pairs well with my M9XX and fairs with all my headphones well, Purpleheart, HD600, K7XX.. I don't know if that exists but being in the audio world is a lot of fun, though I don't have that much of a budget compared to some here.. HE400i is also tempting but I just don't have a clear idea of how it sounds like or how it would compensate(dunno if it's the right word) the rest of my headphones!

Like somebody else said, given the gear you already have, I'd say get the HE400i over the HD600 and then the m9XX will be plenty fine as both a DAC and an amp until you really want to go to an endgame setup. The HE400i off the m9XX is in the same category as the HD600 fed by a little dot with m9XX with a DAC. m9XX is a great amp for THX00 PH, K7XX and HE400i. That combo would give you a fun, bassy closed can THX00 PH), a large soundstage open headphone (K7XX) and a very resolving, balanced headphone (HE400i).

Aug 13, 2016 at 5:28 PM Post #7,986 of 12,086
Like somebody else said, given the gear you already have, I'd say get the HE400i over the HD600 and then the m9XX will be plenty fine as both a DAC and an amp until you really want to go to an endgame setup. The HE400i off the m9XX is in the same category as the HD600 fed by a little dot with m9XX with a DAC. m9XX is a great amp for THX00 PH, K7XX and HE400i. That combo would give you a fun, bassy closed can THX00 PH), a large soundstage open headphone (K7XX) and a very resolving, balanced headphone (HE400i).

Dang, I've gone ahead and purchased the HD600 already. Well, I've always been fascinated by it, even though right now I don't have proper gears to drive it. I do have the Aune T1se but I doubt that it'll be good enough for the HD600. So I'm planning to sell it soon and get an amp for the HD600. Still looking for a good enough amp.

I can't wait for the Purpleheart. I've forgotten about it recently but right after I received the postage email, I feel like checking the tracking status every minute lol. Right now it's on Germany, en route to Malaysia.

Aug 13, 2016 at 5:33 PM Post #7,987 of 12,086
I wanted to grab the DarkVoice 336SE from Massdrop when they had it. I believe I saw it going for $219. I'm sure it'll drop again. Only issue for me is, I don't think I have hard enough to drive headphones.

Aug 13, 2016 at 7:23 PM Post #7,988 of 12,086
I wanted to grab the DarkVoice 336SE from Massdrop when they had it. I believe I saw it going for $219. I'm sure it'll drop again. Only issue for me is, I don't think I have hard enough to drive headphones.

With the darkvoice you don't want hard to drive, you want efficient but high impedance. It's actually bad with truly hard to drive headphones.

Aug 13, 2016 at 8:47 PM Post #7,989 of 12,086
With the darkvoice you don't want hard to drive, you want efficient but high impedance. It's actually bad with truly hard to drive headphones.

Would the Darkvoice be a bad pairing for the TH-X00, EL8 and SHP9500?

Aug 13, 2016 at 9:52 PM Post #7,990 of 12,086
Aug 14, 2016 at 2:12 AM Post #7,994 of 12,086
Schiit is a full range company. They make arguably best DAC in the world (Yggy), all the way down to the humble Fulla. They're much more than a mid-fi company. Calling Schiit a mid-fi company is like calling Sennheiser a mid-fi company because they make the HD600.

I wouldn't call Schiit a mid-fi company,  but I wouldn't call the Yggy the best DAC in the world either, not even close.  

The Chord products across the line sound better to my ears than Schiit products in the same price ranges.  I'd take the Hugo or the Hugo TT over the Yggy.  The Dave is in another league-- and an unreachable much higher price range.

PS Audio and Auralic offer better DACs than Schiit, in my opinion, of course.  

The deal breaker for me: there's not a Schiit product I'm aware of that can decode native DSD.  At the high end-- and higher prices-- a product has no excuse for not being able to play the best digital audio format available.  

If I was considering the Yggy, I'd be purchasing a different product for that price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back