Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Aug 13, 2016 at 12:26 PM Post #7,952 of 12,086
  err.....the March Mahogany drop shipped near the end of May, if my recollection serves?

Ah you're right, I was little drunk and outraged last night.  This new drop will ship before the Mahogany's from the joint M/PH drop in June i believe.  Not quite as bad as waiting since the March drop, but the current drop will still ship before the drop that ended a few months ago.

Aug 13, 2016 at 1:12 PM Post #7,954 of 12,086
  purplehearts came. and wow they are actually pretty good. i was expecting a congested messy sound. so how long does it usually take for its sound to settle in.

Pics or it didn't happen.

Aug 13, 2016 at 1:18 PM Post #7,955 of 12,086
Woah one of the earliest. Early impressions?

Soundstage is actually very good for a closed headphone. I was expecting boxed in soundstage like the m50. When i first listen to this headphone browsed through a couple of songs and wondered why its called a V shape sound. Theres plenty of mid range there. Then further digging i noticed on some tracks mids aren't as foward as my reference pairs.mid range is one of wierdest i've heard. I thought i was going to get in your face rude bass, but it's rude at all. On tracks that don't need much attention to bass only displays that amount. I thought the bass was going to he be sloppy but it's surprisingly clean yet punchy and goes pretty deep.

Aug 13, 2016 at 1:30 PM Post #7,957 of 12,086
Aug 13, 2016 at 1:36 PM Post #7,959 of 12,086
Soundstage is actually very good for a closed headphone. I was expecting boxed in soundstage like the m50. When i first listen to this headphone browsed through a couple of songs and wondered why its called a V shape sound. Theres plenty of mid range there. Then further digging i noticed on some tracks mids aren't as foward as my reference pairs.mid range is one of wierdest i've heard. I thought i was going to get in your face rude bass, but it's rude at all. On tracks that don't need much attention to bass only displays that amount. I thought the bass was going to he be sloppy but it's surprisingly clean yet punchy and goes pretty deep.
I see, that sounds very appealing.. I don't think they call it V-shaped, it just they say it's the most V-shaped compared to the other two versions IIRC.. Brightness wise how does it fare against your HD600/K7XX? From the photo it looks lovely!

Aug 13, 2016 at 1:37 PM Post #7,960 of 12,086

Yeah, I think in early reviews of same family headphones people get so caught up in describing the differences between the models that they fail point out that they're 98% the same. I'm as guilty of this as anybody.

Aug 13, 2016 at 1:39 PM Post #7,961 of 12,086
Why was that necessary?  Did you not believe him???

Nothing to do with belief. Everything to do with getting more pictures of the headphones.

Aug 13, 2016 at 1:40 PM Post #7,962 of 12,086

massdrop is in new jersey. im in new york so i got mine early i guess. it shipped on the 10th and came this morning on the 13th. and got a really low serial number. single digit.

Congrats, welcome to the TH-X00 club  Looking forward to your impressions.

I too have a low number of the mahogany TH-X00.

I was not questioning you.  I was curious why WayTooCrazy would think you were lying about receiving your new toys.

Aug 13, 2016 at 1:43 PM Post #7,963 of 12,086

Pics or it didn't happen.

Nothing to do with belief. Everything to do with getting more pictures of the headphones.

Ok double eye roll.  "Pics or it didn't happen."  

That sounds far different than wow great could you take some pictures of your new headphones.

Aug 13, 2016 at 1:46 PM Post #7,964 of 12,086

Ok double eye roll.  "Pics or it didn't happen."  

That sounds far different than wow great could you take some pictures of your new headphones.

Sorry Mister Literal... I'll watch what I type next time I'm in your presence.

Aug 13, 2016 at 1:50 PM Post #7,965 of 12,086
I see, that sounds very appealing.. I don't think they call it V-shaped, it just they say it's the most V-shaped compared to the other two versions IIRC.. Brightness wise how does it fare against your HD600/K7XX? From the photo it looks lovely!

out of the m9xx surprisingly hd600 came out the brightest. this could be attributed to it being underamped on the m9xx. even though m9xx can run things that are 300ohm, it doesnt sound optimum with them. 2nd brightest is the k7xx and least brightest is the thx00 ph. none of them are bight at all. but you wanted a comparison. i don't have an amp that can run every equally well at the moment. so i run my 300ohm senns out of the valhalla2 with the m9xx as its dac. my k7xx and 400i straight out of the m9xx.

i take back what i said about their brightness. it was too much of a hassle to adjust their volume to to the same level without a spl meter. so there could be some variations in the test. but as it stands, none of them are bright to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back