Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Aug 11, 2016 at 10:08 AM Post #7,921 of 12,086
My guess would be today.

lol gee thanks
dt880smile.png

Aug 11, 2016 at 10:21 AM Post #7,922 of 12,086
lol gee thanks :dt880smile:

Also if you (or anybody else) are looking for a mid priced combo unit to go with THX00 they have the Matrix HPA 3U up now. One of my favorites for the THX00 for people who can't quite swing the price on the m9XX and want a combo unit. Drives the THX00 like a freight train and gives it maybe the best bass I've heard the THX00 have. A small step below the m9XX, but better than the old 4396 M2U stack. (I haven't heard the Magni2U with the new magni multibit together, so I hesitate to say, given that the DAC in the modibit is almost certainly better, but I thought the amp in the HPA3U was better).

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/matrix-hpa-3u-dac-amp

Aug 11, 2016 at 10:42 AM Post #7,923 of 12,086
Also if you (or anybody else) are looking for a mid priced combo unit to go with THX00 they have the Matrix HPA 3U up now. One of my favorites for the THX00 for people who can't quite swing the price on the m9XX and want a combo unit. Drives the THX00 like a freight train and gives it maybe the best bass I've heard the THX00 have. A small step below the m9XX, but better than the old 4396 M2U stack. (I haven't heard the Magni2U with the new mag is multibit together, so I hesitate to say, given that the DAC in the modibit is almost certainly better, but I thought the amp in the HPA3U was better).

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/matrix-hpa-3u-dac-amp

I don't want to hear this. I want the X00 to sound good on my Modi2U and Vali 2.

Aug 11, 2016 at 12:17 PM Post #7,925 of 12,086
I don't want to hear this. I want the X00 to sound good on my Modi2U and Vali 2.

It does. I generally prefer solid state with the THX00, but Vali2 (not vali 1 though) on low gain is one of the better tube amps for it. This was more aimed for new THX00 owners looking for their first mid-fi combo amp for it.

Aug 11, 2016 at 12:36 PM Post #7,926 of 12,086
At 25ohm and spl of 128 (avg. On my rig) anything can drive THX00. Even my S7 edge with its weak amp section, doesnt drive it to 90dB at 1khz though.

Remember the biodyna driver has a high power thresh hold so do not be afraid to out extra juice into it within reason.

Aug 11, 2016 at 12:39 PM Post #7,927 of 12,086
At 25ohm and spl of 128 (avg. On my rig) anything can drive THX00. Even my S7 edge with its weak amp section, doesnt drive it to 90dB at 1khz though.

Remember the biodyna driver has a high power thresh hold so do not be afraid to out extra juice into it within reason.

With the THX00 it's not usually power that is lacking when amping the THX00, but rather dynamicism and diaphragm control. It sounded awful to me out of the Valhalla, for example.

Aug 11, 2016 at 12:57 PM Post #7,928 of 12,086
They're pretty tube dependent with the Valhalla. 70's NOS Russian tubes from the Novosibirsk plant (a warmer tube I enjoy with the HD600 and T1's) bloat the bass a tad too much. Amperes Orange Globes and the Rocket Grey shields on the other hand do really well with the TH-X00.

Aug 11, 2016 at 2:05 PM Post #7,929 of 12,086
Schiit is a full range company. They make arguably best DAC in the world (Yggy), all the way down to the humble Fulla. They're much more than a mid-fi company. Calling Schiit a mid-fi company is like calling Sennheiser a mid-fi company because they make the HD600.

I see, we won't be best buddies. :)
Mid-fi/High-fi is actually quite relative, depends on where you are looking from. The most expensive Schiit product is the Yggdrasil, currently selling for $2299. The cheapest Schiit is Fulla for $79.
Chord Dave is over $10.000, and before Mojo they had basically nothing under $1000. Chord plays in different league than Schiit. This is all I referred to.

Aug 11, 2016 at 2:14 PM Post #7,930 of 12,086

Mid-fi/High-fi is actually quite relative, depends on where you are looking from. The most expensive Schiit product is the Yggdrasil, currently selling for $2299. The cheapest Schiit is Fulla for $79.

Chord Dave is over $10.000, and before Mojo they had basically nothing under $1000. Chord plays in different league than Schiit. This is all I referred to.

Calling Yggdrasil mid-fi is silly, that's all I'm referring to. Would it make it hi-if in your mind if they charged $10,000 for it?

MoMBy and Mojo are mid-fi products. Yggdrasil and Dave are summit-fi products. Labeling an entire company as mid-fi or hi-fi is pointless. Is the Focal spirit pro hi-fi because Focal makes $250,000 speakers?

Aug 11, 2016 at 2:14 PM Post #7,931 of 12,086

Yea, we won't be best friends either. Schiit offers the best bang for the buck with some of the best engineered, most innovative stuff out there. Chord is a boutique manufacturer with some really weird "industrial design" choices (to put it mildly). And then... I honestly don't understand their pricing model (to put it even more mildly). IMO.

EDIT: I think "gaudy" and "overpriced" are the words I was looking for.

Aug 11, 2016 at 2:23 PM Post #7,932 of 12,086
Calling Yggdrasil mid-fi is silly, that's all I'm referring to. Would it make it hi-if in your mind if they charged $10,000 for it?

MoMBy and Mojo are mid-fi products. Yggdrasil and Dave are summit-fi products. Labeling an entire company as mid-fi or hi-fi is pointless. Is the Focal spirit pro hi-fi because Focal makes $250,000 speakers?

I did not call Yggi mid-fi.
If a company makes mostly mid/fi priced products it seems to be a fair assumption to say they are rather a mid-fi company.
If a company mostly makes summit-fi priced products, I think it is reasonable to say they are a summit-fi company.
I see, we won't agree on this. And I did not want to hurt your feelings.
I also think, Schiit products are great value for money.

Aug 11, 2016 at 2:26 PM Post #7,933 of 12,086
With the THX00 it's not usually power that is lacking when amping the THX00, but rather dynamicism and diaphragm control. It sounded awful to me out of the Valhalla, for example.

When i had the magni uber it sounded and measured no different than my Soundblaster X7 on low.

When i tried it on the vali 2, there was noticable warmness and some slight changes between two tubes. I can see it not doing too well with the Valhalla tho.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back