Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Jul 15, 2016 at 7:00 PM Post #7,473 of 12,086

In the meantime, anyone know of a place to find reasonably priced, high quality cups for these cans? No Lawton $500+ plz, although I'm sure they are absolutely amazing.  

enquiry@emu.com, they had ebony and rosewood a couple weeks ago when I emailed.  $120 + shipping if you don't own a pair of EMU headphones already.  There are multiple people on this thread that have bought them through this method including myself.

Jul 15, 2016 at 8:32 PM Post #7,474 of 12,086
I think the Ebony cups look awesome. Hopefully the actual production units have that high a quality finish consistently. I am also in the camp that thinks the driver dampening must have also been tweaked to get such reported changes. I of course could be wrong, but seems to be reported as sounding very different consider just the cups have been changed. Curious what others think?

Jul 16, 2016 at 1:32 AM Post #7,476 of 12,086
Notice something different in this picture of the Ebony?:

MD-23220_20160712100510_d5e8d7ba01c87069.jpg

Is that how the Mahogany and Purpleheart damper rings are positioned (looks to be a little past the Stock + position...)?

Jul 16, 2016 at 3:07 AM Post #7,478 of 12,086

Thanks!  And would it be correct to say the Ebony X00 isn't necessarily "bassier" than the Mahogony, only that the bass extends a little more?  Or would you inherently describe it as all around bassier? 

The bass is elevated all around slightly, but not just extended a little more or tighter sounding - very similar to the difference between the ETHER 1.1 and the ETHER Flow, even though the sonic changes of the 1.1 to the Flow is more apparent to my ears than the TH-X00 Mahogany and E-MU Ebony to the TH-X00 Ebony.

Jul 16, 2016 at 4:42 AM Post #7,480 of 12,086
  Has anyone heard all three kinds of th-x00 besides Jude? Is the difference obvious or just subtle?The FR of PH version is noticeable different than the others.

Today I should be able to listen to the Purpleheart.  Once I do, I should/will be able to compare the TH-X00 Mahogany, TH-X00 E-MU Ebony and TH-X00 Ebony. 
beerchug.gif

Jul 16, 2016 at 4:47 AM Post #7,481 of 12,086

Today I should be able to listen to the Purpleheart.  Once I do, I should/will be able to compare the TH-X00 Mahogany, TH-X00 E-MU Ebony and TH-X00 Ebony. 
beerchug.gif

Thanks in advance.  Looking forward to your comparison.

Jul 16, 2016 at 5:25 AM Post #7,482 of 12,086
A few requests on thread are for where folks can buy wood cups besides Lawton. You can ask at EMU by contacting Chan, a super guy; many already know this.

Wanted to post this for a few months and kept forgetting, but there is a fellow selling custom wood cups at very good prices made to fit TH-X00. His versions also are made to fit Denon D5k, D7k, Fostex TH-600, TH-900, TH-X00, so make sure to specify your headphone model. I believe he has 2 different fits ( I am not affililiated with seller ).

His woods occasionally vary from time to time, currently he has Teak, Monkey Pod and Longan right now. Sometimes sells out, but restocks quickly. Colors vary, so may be able to ask for darker or lighter wood cups. Not sure of the curvature interior cut, depth, wall thickness or volume, but they look externally to match the Denon line. He includes installation guide page.

Fellow is on ebay and ships from either UK or South East Asia, ebay id is "artisanaudiolab". Not sure of sonic presentation, but cups do look well made and finished very nicely, labor intensive process described. Buyers owning TH-600 say the timbre/tonality changes warmth & also results in tighter bass with his cups.

Just passing info along if it helps anyone, since a few have asked on the thread.

Jul 16, 2016 at 5:51 AM Post #7,484 of 12,086
  Hi Everyone!

Physical Differences
Ebony is so dense, there is an obvious increase to cup weight.  There is some natural variance between species of the same wood and different samples, but for comparison…our quick measurements found single cups to weigh:

Mahogany       30g
Purpleheart     50g
Ebony              80g

Ebony cuts with a smoother unfinished surface texture. Inside the cups (behind the driver) there is a progression in rougher to smoother surface texture going from Mahogany to Purpleheart to Ebony.

Please also compare the weight of all 3, on the fence with Ebony because of the weight.

Here you go...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back