Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Jul 13, 2016 at 2:43 PM Post #7,322 of 12,086
For those looking to upgrade their ear pads to leather, a lot of people have been using our Alpha Pads, but the ETHER C angled pads may fit better.  

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Jul 13, 2016 at 2:49 PM Post #7,323 of 12,086
I wonder will the laquer coating be still as crappy as it was on original x00 hehe
Hope you guys will get better quality control than me
Because I will newer forget massdrop's qc and the $10 voucher they offered me for a crappy laquered cups

Jul 13, 2016 at 2:58 PM Post #7,326 of 12,086
Hmm, after looking at the graphs, and then taking said graphs and running them through my own patented Reality Filter (tm), I think Purplehearts were the best choice for how I now see myself using them.

I never was after a flat response with my PH purchase, intending to marry them with my HD600's as a flat + bassy pair, switching between the two as needed.

Then I fell into my baby Stax, and my poor HD600's are languishing on my stands :p I have not seen graphs for my Stax, but after a month of use, my brain would categorize them as W-shaped. That is, take HD600, and add roughly 2db across the board. Everything seems forward and emphasized, but not overly so.

Bass extension is certainly there, but sheer bass volume can be outdone by others. That's not to say it's lacking, I rarely think that...but occasionally wish for "just a little more"....

Enter my TH-X00 purchase, and its' intended usage :)

As good as I expect my Purplehearts to be......and I expect them to be VERY good.......I also sincerely doubt they will dethrone my Stax as my all-round daily driver. I am quite seriously in love with these Electrostats :)

I consider myself EXTREMELY fortunate to have the gear that I already have, and my Purplehearts *should* fit in like a missing puzzle piece when they arrive.

Jul 13, 2016 at 3:15 PM Post #7,327 of 12,086
Hmm, after looking at the graphs, and then taking said graphs and running them through my own patented Reality Filter (tm), I think Purplehearts were the best choice for how I now see myself using them.

I never was after a flat response with my PH purchase, intending to marry them with my HD600's as a flat + bassy pair, switching between the two as needed.

Then I fell into my baby Stax, and my poor HD600's are languishing on my stands :p I have not seen graphs for my Stax, but after a month of use, my brain would categorize them as W-shaped. That is, take HD600, and add roughly 2db across the board. Everything seems forward and emphasized, but not overly so.

Bass extension is certainly there, but sheer bass volume can be outdone by others. That's not to say it's lacking, I rarely think that...but occasionally wish for "just a little more"....

Enter my TH-X00 purchase, and its' intended usage :)

As good as I expect my Purplehearts to be......and I expect them to be VERY good.......I also sincerely doubt they will dethrone my Stax as my all-round daily driver. I am quite seriously in love with these Electrostats :)

I consider myself EXTREMELY fortunate to have the gear that I already have, and my Purplehearts *should* fit in like a missing puzzle piece when they arrive.

We seem to have very similar taste in headphones it seems: I have SHP9500 (modded for more bass), T50RP Mark III & T40RP Mark III (just picked up today-will probably be selling the T50RP's now...), AKG K7XX, and Denon AH-D2000 (modded) and I think you will like the Purplehearts. I got in on the Purplehearts to upgrade from my Denon AH-D2000's (was thinking of Lawton cups for the D2000's, but the cheapest cups cost more than the Purpleheats!) The D2000's have bass extension down low you FEEL in your head....and it's clean enough and tight enough to be fine. The PH have less THD across almost the whole spectrum and higher dB in the low end that is less rolled off than the D2000's based on the charts...should be FUN! Can you say BASS MONSTER!!!

I want some lower end Stax too...ever since I heard the LR-300 I really want a pair. Very nice 'W' presentation with oh so nice clarity, very much prefer them to the higher end Stax models. They don't have the massive bass output of the Denon's/Fostex but they do have great output with excellent extension.

Jul 13, 2016 at 3:15 PM Post #7,328 of 12,086
@WillBright @jamor

sure

http://www.head-fi.org/t/788776/fostex-x-massdrop-th-x00-review/5220#post_12400191
http://www.head-fi.org/t/788776/fostex-x-massdrop-th-x00-review/5220#post_12400391

and helpdesk proposal:

a 10USD coupon for a QC failure in a $400 headphone - that was ridiculous

I am not a hater or something, I really like the sound of x00 - and they do still remain my office rig

Jul 13, 2016 at 3:39 PM Post #7,329 of 12,086
  Hi Everyone!

"Physical Differences
Ebony is so dense, there is an obvious increase to cup weight.  There is some natural variance between species of the same wood and different samples, but for comparison…our quick measurements found single cups to weigh:

Mahogany       30g
Purpleheart     50g
Ebony              80g

Ebony cuts with a smoother unfinished surface texture. Inside the cups (behind the driver) there is a progression in rougher to smoother surface texture going from Mahogany to Purpleheart to Ebony."

​
Interestingly I weighed the cups of my DENON 5000, including the internal applied Lawtond damping material, and that was 31 grams. But I also weighed the cups of TH-X00 Mahogany and they were just over 42 grams and not 30 as you state above. I have added some pictures (again?) You can see that the original DENON has less wood on the sides, where the TH-X00 has more.​
I also think that a choice of separate pads available by Massdrop for the Fostex (including white ring) would be a very successful offering. Sound differences and comfort differences have great impact by changing pads. For me the TH-X00 pads sound too coloured in the mids, and with the Fostex TH-600 or 900 pads they sound more open again, but also have more highs. i really like the original DENON 5000 pads, but here in Europe I cannot find new ones of those....... I have one cheaper Chinese replacement pair, which comes close, but are not as filled. So that my ears touch the grid. I stuffed them a bit (behind) to change that and although they sound ok like that, it is not ideal. Bring on a choice of original DENON, Fostex 600/900 and X00pads! Please.​

Jul 13, 2016 at 3:56 PM Post #7,330 of 12,086
Darn, I was always hoping they'd do Ebony. I wish PurpleHeart purchasers had the opportunity to switch drops like the second round of Mahogany purchases had.

Jul 13, 2016 at 4:39 PM Post #7,333 of 12,086
Darn, I was always hoping they'd do Ebony. I wish PurpleHeart purchasers had the opportunity to switch drops like the second round of Mahogany purchases had.
The upgrade option will not happen sadly. Unlike the Mahogany buyers where they were offered a chance to upgrade to the Purplehearts. Maybe it's because the Purpleheart is deep into production already?

Jul 13, 2016 at 4:57 PM Post #7,334 of 12,086
The upgrade option will not happen sadly. Unlike the Mahogany buyers where they were offered a chance to upgrade to the Purplehearts. Maybe it's because the Purpleheart is deep into production already?

That's my guess. Understandable. It could really leave them in a bind as the hype is surrounding the ebony now. So it could potentially take a while to try to find new buyers for the purplehearts.

Jul 13, 2016 at 5:04 PM Post #7,335 of 12,086

LEGEND
Brown: Mahogany
Purple: Purpleheart
Black:  Ebony

Additional Observations

Bass - Ebony has the deepest bass extension of any TH-X00 editions.

Mids - Where the Mahogany & Purpleheart lose some steam in the 3-4kHz region, Ebony maintains a smoother descent. Mids are more present without harsh transitions.

Treble - Where the original TH-X00 has a peak at 9kHz, Ebony (and Purpleheart to a degree) reduces that area and chance of harshness while leaving the 10kHz+ sparkle.

Summary
Mahogany is “The Original”.
Purpleheart is the “fun” one.
Ebony is “The Original”, refined.

The graph of the Ebony looks almost identical to the graph of the Denon AH-D5000 Tyll made in 2012

Users who are viewing this thread

Back