Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Jul 13, 2016 at 12:07 PM Post #7,306 of 12,086
I like the variations being offered. It gives each its own unique feeling especially since they are all priced differently.

If only it was all offered at the same time. Fantastic strategy massdrop! Hahah

I will be content with my Purpleheart. I will be content with my Purpleheart. I will be content with my Purpleheart. I will be content with my Purpleheart. I will be content with my Purpleheart.

Jul 13, 2016 at 12:14 PM Post #7,308 of 12,086
Honestly, I'll be pretty disappointed if these headphones have differences in tuning.  Not because one sounds "better" than another necessarily, because everyone's tastes differ.  However I bought a purpleheart thinking that the only difference between it and the original were the cups.  I based my purchase off of thinking that it would sound almost identical to the Mahogany, with the only differences being the wood density.  If they are tuned differently, I think that's pretty dishonest of MD not making that clear.  As a buyer, I like knowing what I'm buying, especially since no one had a purpleheart to review or test really when the drop was open.  If the tuning differences are true, I'll certainly have to think twice about buying another Massdrop exclusive and trusting the description shown there.  Also, the differences in Jude's measurements above seem far greater than those in Will's description of the purplehearts.

These drivers ARE NOT tuned differently. The only differences ARE the cups, which just so happens to naturally change the sound because of their difference in density.

If only it was all offered at the same time. Fantastic strategy massdrop! Hahah

I will be content with my Purpleheart. I will be content with my Purpleheart. I will be content with my Purpleheart. I will be content with my Purpleheart. I will be content with my Purpleheart.

You will be content with your Purpleheart. :p

Jul 13, 2016 at 12:24 PM Post #7,309 of 12,086
Well.
Even though I congratulate to Massdrop and I am thankful to them for making available the X00 series, I find too much marketing and profit orientation in this third edition.
I own and love the Mahogany edition, but releasing the third ebony version seems to be a bit unfair to the PH buyers.
Many PH buyers thought they will purchase a better version of the Mahogany edition. NOW they know PH will be a 'more fun' version of the originals (which are way enough fun for most of us already) and ebony will be the 'improved' version of the Mahoganies.
At this point it starts to seem to be pure marketing. (Very well done in that regard.)
 At least I am not interested anymore in the PH version (sorry for PH buyers, as it seems to be slightly unfair, that they are not allowed to change their orders as buyers of the 2nd Mahogany drop were allowed. Understandable though, if the ebony is limited to 1000.)
I am interested in the ebony version , of course I am. But I won't pay another $500+ for a slightly tuned version of my Mahogany X00s. Maybe in the far future for a second hand pair.
 I think, for me it is time to get off the hype train (super express) now and just enjoy my Mahogany edition. (For which I am very thankful to Massdrop.)
Massdrop seems to be balancing between the love of customers and profit. They have done very well so far, but with ebony they reached the limit IMO. (And they seem to be aware of it, emphasising more than once, there won't be more versions of X00s.)
 So, my opinion in a nuthshell: Mahogany is fun enough for me. I don't need the extra bass of the PH. Ebony I'd love to try, but I am not joining the drop. I rather stick with my Mahogany version and just enjoy music in my room with Mojo. :) If I had 3 times bigger budget though, buying ebony wouldn't be a question for me.

Edit: Looking at the graphs there seem to be even less difference between ebony and mahogany than between mahogany and purpleheart.

Edit 2: I think in selling the cups separately there would be more potential.

Jul 13, 2016 at 12:33 PM Post #7,310 of 12,086

Can you help a noob like me make sense of this?   I thought the graph shows Purpleheart has the deepest bass extension?

I think what that means is that the bass peak is in the deepest territory with the ebony. While the PH have more bass, it peaks @50Hz and then starts to draw down from there while the ebony doesn't peak until @30Hz. 

Jul 13, 2016 at 12:44 PM Post #7,312 of 12,086

Can you help a noob like me make sense of this?   I thought the graph shows Purpleheart has the deepest bass extension?

Hi jamor, great question.

The Purpleheart version may have greater levels in the low frequencies, but the Ebony bass peak and level relative to the rest of the spectrum is at a lower frequency.

(Purpleheart bass peak centers close to 50Hz while the Ebony bass peak is close to 30Hz.)

Our overall sound impressions are colored by what sticks out or by what is missing. In this case it may only be a subtle difference in listening or pretty recording-dependent (tracks that reach that low may be more affected).

We're looking forward to seeing how closely subjective impressions match objective measurements.
tongue.gif

Jul 13, 2016 at 12:48 PM Post #7,313 of 12,086
  Why is the fostex logo on the PH black in Jude's photo? The logo was clearly white/silver in the drop...

Hi marts30, good eyes!  Jude's pair are a prototype sample and we requested the logo color change for production.

Jul 13, 2016 at 12:59 PM Post #7,315 of 12,086
Measurements do not tell us much about what really happens at the eardrum for each buyer, talk less of how sonic impressions at the ear drum are emotionally interpreted by the buyer or hearer...

ERGO : Do not expect what appears on paper in these comparisons and graphs, to always match the expectations you have formed about each iteration.  Some expectations may be met, or even favorably exceeded, but others shall surely be underwhelmed or disappointed.

Maybe one of the downsides of having as many drops as the X00 in such a short span of time, and in three different iterations, is that people still really only have one version, the mahogany version, in hand so far,  so there has been no real world reviews of the latest two versions, and no comparisons between the three.  As a buyer of the first drop group, I did not know before buying that the mahogany version would be followed in less than a year by two other versions, otherwise I would have waited to read real-world reviews and impressions of all three before ever joining any of the drops.

I will not consider selling my mahogany version, or joining another X00 drop, until I have read real life reviews, impressions, and comparative evaluations of all three iterations. 

Jul 13, 2016 at 1:07 PM Post #7,316 of 12,086
Ok so any chance you would do a drop on the pads for the TH-X00? Or even an individual sale type of thing for these? Really want to buy a pair of those pads. Original ones.... not eBay Chinese knockoffs.

Hi Daze513,

Not sure that we would be able to do a drop on just the TH-X00 pads. I'll need to look into it. (The reason I'm not sure that we could offer a component of the headphone separately is that we are not able to sell the cups by themselves due to constraints by the manufacturer.)

That said, the pads on the TH-X00 were specifically chosen to achieve the sound signature of the phone and are an integral part of the tuning. Yet, some members will still like to mod and personalize their TH-X00...some pads may come up for sale from time to time.  Hope this could work for you in the event that we don't have drops for the pads separately.

Jul 13, 2016 at 1:11 PM Post #7,317 of 12,086
  Measurements do not tell us much about what really happens at the eardrum for each buyer, talk less of how sonic impressions at the ear drum are emotionally interpreted by the buyer or hearer...

ERGO : Do not expect what appears on paper in these comparisons and graphs, to always match the expectations you have formed about each iteration.  Some expectations may be met, or even favorably exceeded, but others shall surely be underwhelmed or disappointed.

Maybe one of the downsides of having as many drops as the X00 in such a short span of time, and in three different iterations, is that people still really only have one version, the mahogany version, in hand so far,  so there has been no real world reviews of the latest two versions, and no comparisons between the three.  As a buyer of the first drop group, I did not know before buying that the mahogany version would be followed in less than a year by two other versions, otherwise I would have waited to read real-world reviews and impressions of all three before ever joining any of the drops.

I will not consider selling my mahogany version, or joining another X00 drop, until I have read real life reviews, impressions, and comparative evaluations of all three iterations. 

So you and me are obviously not the target group of the third version (4th drop).
I think, the target group is the headphone freaks with enough cash, who just can't help to buy a slightly modified 'final' and 'best' version of an already good pair of headphones.
I also think, not the resources of ebony wood was the number one reason they have limited the drop to 1000 instead of the usual 2000. It is rather the decreasing market they can reach. To stay on the safe side only 1000 is announced. Which always can be changed to 2000 in the future, depending on buyer interest.
I am not blaming Massdrop, I honestly like them. And probably I would do the same. :)

Edit: Finding 1000 of the mentioned target group on a global level seem to be a reasonable expectation.

Jul 13, 2016 at 1:12 PM Post #7,318 of 12,086
Hi Daze513,

Not sure that we would be able to do a drop on just the TH-X00 pads. I'll need to look into it. (The reason I'm not sure that we could offer a component of the headphone separately is that we are not able to sell the cups by themselves due to constraints by the manufacturer.)

That said, the pads on the TH-X00 were specifically chosen to achieve the sound signature of the phone and are an integral part of the tuning. Yet, some members will still like to mod and personalize their TH-X00...some pads may come up for sale from time to time.  Hope this could work for you in the event that we don't have drops for the pads separately.

Yea been trying to find a set second hand and it's been difficult. I even bought a set of TH500RPs to get the pads you have on the THX00, but now my TH500RPs are without pads and I find myself having to swap back and forth. So I needed a second set.

Anyways thanks and I'll be on the lookout.

Jul 13, 2016 at 2:03 PM Post #7,320 of 12,086
Love my TH-X00's with Ebony EMU cups. Think there's several of us on here now that have them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back