Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
May 1, 2016 at 3:00 PM Post #6,166 of 12,086
They have been listed on the site for little more than a month.

Looked at those when I bought a second set of Alpha Pads.  Looked at the Ether Pads but the for another $20.00 I went with the Alphas...

Yeah I can't imagine them being more expensive to produce than alpha pads. I guess the price difference is there simply because of the difference in price for the headphones.

May 1, 2016 at 4:32 PM Post #6,167 of 12,086

They have been listed on the site for little more than a month.

Looked at those when I bought a second set of Alpha Pads.  Looked at the Ether Pads but the for another $20.00 I went with the Alphas...

Yeah I can't imagine them being more expensive to produce than alpha pads. I guess the price difference is there simply because of the difference in price for the headphones.

Then I recall having seen the following posts about Ether pads... pure theoretic though.

I've been dreaming up a scenario where I can buy Dan's Ether C pads and transplant them to the TH-X00. I can already tell by the looks of these that I won't like the stock pads they have on there. Dan hasn't offered yet to sell the Ether / Ether C pads so I might just need another set of Alpha pads that will do for now.

I don't think the Ether pads are a good idea. They are specifically sewn to allow the Ether drivers (vertical rectangle) to breathe, and will create reflections with other types of drivers, especially round dynamic ones.

Do keep in mind almost all the well known pads out there will work with the TH-XXX lineup, including Brainwavz, Shure, etc. If it fits on a T50RP, it'll be a fit (albeit tight) on these.

I don't think the Ether pads are a good idea. They are specifically sewn to allow the Ether drivers (vertical rectangle) to breathe, and will create reflections with other types of drivers, especially round dynamic ones.

Do keep in mind almost all the well known pads out there will work with the TH-XXX lineup, including Brainwavz, Shure, etc. If it fits on a T50RP, it'll be a fit (albeit tight) on these.

I don't know about that. It looks like Ether C pads would be a good match and are still large enough to not cause reflections from the 50mm driver.

May 1, 2016 at 5:58 PM Post #6,169 of 12,086
Ether pads seem to be available for sale only recently, at least not when we got our hands on the first drop of TH-X00. Pals who would want to try them may not even know they are available now. The experiences hence not widely available as well, I suspect.

Yes, but now that we know I may be willing to purchase a pair of Ether pads as well as a few spare mounting rings so I can compare Alpha pads, Ether pads, and stock.

May 1, 2016 at 11:20 PM Post #6,170 of 12,086
Well, looks like the Purplehearts drop ended. I'll wait to see how the wood ages for other's pair before deciding on joining if it's ever available again.  

May 2, 2016 at 11:10 AM Post #6,174 of 12,086

You really expect it will change within 10 years? You could be waiting a while.

It should take quite some time to change, but that depends on the amount and intensity of the natural light it is exposed to and the quality of the UV protection the clear coat provides.

May 2, 2016 at 12:23 PM Post #6,176 of 12,086
An hour before work is - have thrown their impressions briefly between Thx00 and TH900
We begin c of headphones that completely different price categories and that in general, that's fine.
As allowed TH900 clear winner, it was expected, compared on Luxman P-1, while connecting two pairs of headphones.
At the same exposed TH900 volume play a little louder. Level when it begins to be felt almost physically membrane begins to work about the same. I have this sensation occurred after the volume knob approached about an hour. (Sometimes around 11 hours)
Well, then TH900 lighter headphones with an emphasis on high frequencies. THx00 noticeably darker, and bass work more accented - physically felt
There may not even affect the full warm-up ... I have worked for 40 hours, they can hardly more. At low frequencies the start were more. Here THx00 probably more comparable with the DX1000. So the impression is that from any point 0, these headphones apart in different directions in the lineup. At TH900 in my opinion it is not very high frequencies dominate, quite comfortable for me, but compared to THx00 already felt a little lack of bass. In Thx00 lack of high frequencies in general, that is not felt, and the bass in my opinion there is a small surplus.
The only time when the treble seemed to me a lot on the TH900 was the song "Songbird" Surganova and orchestra. (Remember the classics, and I do not listen hard, almost) in the beginning.
For general impressions advantage that in general it is natural to have TH900. DAC and amplifier are connected via Ortofon 8Nx (Cu), silver connection with advantage also think for TH900 left shifted toward THx00,
Slowly getting used to supply material Fostex headphones, but sympathy and remain (jazz, vocals, etc.) on the side of AT despite all Fostex quality.
data lay out their arguments in the two branches on the TH900 and Massdrop.
All of the above only applies to my personal perception.

I A>B compared the two headphones at CanJam.  The biggest difference to my ears was resolution.  The TH-900 had greater detail than the TH-X00 cans.  On intricate passages with a lot of different instruments playing, the TH-900 separated all of the instruments out, whereas the TH-X00 lacked that detail.  The TH-900 had more emphasis on the upper frequencies and dug a little deeper down low, but it was the resolution that set the TH-900 apart for me.  

I would also say: Comparing the TH-X00 and TH-900 on less expensive gear isn't a fair comparison for the TH-900.  When you start amping more expensive headphones with top-shelf gear, you get a better representation of what makes the more expensive headphone so great.  And the TH-900 is a world-class headphone, the TH-X00 is a very good headphone.  I own the TH-X00.  The source for my comparison was a Chord Hugo TT, a $5000 dollar amp/dac.  

When I first purchased the Sennheiser HD-800, it was nearly even with the HD-650 when I was playing it through a Woo Audio WA-6 (an entry level amp).  But when I jumped to the WA-5 (a summit-fi amp), the HD-800 was in a completely different category from the HD-650.  

The source really does matter.

May 2, 2016 at 2:19 PM Post #6,177 of 12,086
I listen to Luxman P-1 + Bel Canto 3
the second bunch of Icon Audio HP8 MKII + tube amplifier author with WaveIO
(DAC 1541 Dual (USB) - http://arkhipovs-laboratory.com/dacs.htm)
(http://arkhipovs-laboratory.com/photos/dac1541-d-2.htm)
it is certainly not top class but not quite entry level
and other than that I still have something to compare - my favorite wooden AT (W11R; W10LTD; W10VTG and others)

May 2, 2016 at 2:27 PM Post #6,178 of 12,086

I A>B compared the two headphones at CanJam.  The biggest difference to my ears was resolution.  The TH-900 had greater detail than the TH-X00 cans.  On intricate passages with a lot of different instruments playing, the TH-900 separated all of the instruments out, whereas the TH-X00 lacked that detail.  The TH-900 had more emphasis on the upper frequencies and dug a little deeper down low, but it was the resolution that set the TH-900 apart for me.  

I completely agree.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back