Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Apr 30, 2016 at 11:37 AM Post #6,136 of 12,086

I hope not because the THX00 are IMO better than the TH900.  The TH900 are almost unlistenable to me...

I take it you consider yourself treble sensitive? I can see the treble on the TH 900 being an issue, but I found the few times it pushed it past being pleasant I could easily bring it in line with some very modest parametric EQ cuts. Still, I get that ideally we shouldn't need to do that, but surprisingly very extended treble still seems to be quite popular. I suspect overall I am more like you in the sense that I would rather have slightly rolled off treble as opposed to slightly bright treble.

Apr 30, 2016 at 11:49 AM Post #6,137 of 12,086
  I take it you consider yourself treble sensitive? I can see the treble on the TH 900 being an issue, but I found the few times it pushed it past being pleasant I could easily bring it in line with some very modest parametric EQ cuts. Still, I get that ideally we shouldn't need to do that, but surprisingly very extended treble still seems to be quite popular. I suspect overall I am more like you in the sense that I would rather have slightly rolled off treble as opposed to slightly bright treble.

Yes and no.

I have no problem with my pair of Grado SR225e but I almost destroyed my ears with the HE-560.

Apr 30, 2016 at 12:30 PM Post #6,139 of 12,086

Yes and no.

I have no problem with my pair of Grado SR225e but I almost destroyed my ears with the HE-560.

So funny, I loved the SR225i, but they could fatigue me, but I had no issues with the 560 at all. It might have to do with our sources. I used the 560 from direct speaker taps coming from my NAD M3 with the M51 as DAC. Those two components each I think have a slightly soft signature so they may have helped my perception of the 560. In general, I don't prefer darker headphones; however complicating things I equally don't like lean/neutral or bright headphones. I take it you are a dyed in the wool Audeze fan as their house sound is a darker one. I can enjoy darker signatures, but they would never be my only choice, I would need something a little brighter to compliment them.

I am very much looking forward to hearing the Sine.

Apr 30, 2016 at 4:00 PM Post #6,140 of 12,086
Do you guys feel like the purpleheart version will bring the TH-X00 closer to the TH-900 sound?
This makes me worry too. Not a fan of bright headphones. Worried that Fostex is trying to make it sound more like the TH900. I hope there will be a review of the Purpleheart version soon. I did join the drop though. I hope it'll sound just as great as the mahagony version.

What amp are you guys using with the TH-X00?

Apr 30, 2016 at 4:40 PM Post #6,141 of 12,086
This makes me worry too. Not a fan of bright headphones. Worried that Fostex is trying to make it sound more like the TH900. I hope there will be a review of the Purpleheart version soon. I did join the drop though. I hope it'll sound just as great as the mahagony version.

I do not think a different cup makes a huge difference. (Although it is relative.)
Z on YouTube said for example he is not even planning to review PH, as it must be almost identical to Mahogany. (Which he quite liked.)

Apr 30, 2016 at 4:44 PM Post #6,142 of 12,086
  I did not say they wouldn't be comparable, in fact I said that the TH X00 would likely get close. I owned a TH 900, never a TH X00 so obviously my post was theoretical as opposed to experience based. As for preferences, well that was not my point, I'm quite sure some people will prefer the TH X00 sound, just like some people will prefer the Grado 325 over say an HD 650. My point was, and remains, from a technical stand point it would be foolish for Fostex to produce a headphone that was the technical equal of the TH 900 for so much less, more than foolish, ludicrous. Now as people have said, preference wise that is a different thing, and I am equally confident that there will be some TH 900 owners who own both but still prefer the TH 900.

If Fostex created this equivalent headphone what will that do to the TH 900, or any headphone they try to release with a much higher retail price? I'm sure for some people they won't care and they will buy the new premium offering anyway, but I would think a great many people would look at a very expensive offering and wonder what they are paying for as the TH X00 suggests it is hype and bling only. If this is the business model Fostex is engaging in all I can say is wow, that is stupid and frankly, it will keep me from buying any new flagship from them again as it seems clear they are going to undercut their customers eventually so I should just wait. That is the take away message I get from this type of arrangement.

And as for price not equaling performance, well I agree there isn't a perfect linear relationship, but I think price does carry a significant effect on quality. That might not always be the case, but more often than not it does matter. The real question is diminishing returns and I certainly am aware of that, but I will not say price has no relationship to the finished product either.

You're overthinking this a bit. My guess is that Fostex made the TH-X00 due to the dismal sales of the TH600 and used the leftover parts like the alloy frame and the 1.0 Tesla driver to retune and essentially create a new line. The TH600 is officially discontinued but you can still buy them online.

Also if I might add, the way your attitude towards the TH-X00 seems a little prejudiced? If I spent $2000 MSRP or even $1200 on a TH900 I would probably feel the same way if the TH-X00 sounded more balanced in frequency response with a slight loss of resolution and bass depth versus the TH900. Then I would be shaking my head asking Fostex why they made me waste my money. That is why I keep thinking if you threw a 1.5 Tesla rated TH900 driver into the Mahogony cups then you would circumvent the need to even own a TH900 (unless you want the Urushi Lacquer)

Apr 30, 2016 at 4:45 PM Post #6,143 of 12,086
I do not think a different cup makes a huge difference. (Although it is relative.)

Z on YouTube said for example he is not even planning to review PH, as it must be almost identical to Mahogany. (Which he quite liked.)
Yea probably the slightest of a difference, and I'm not even a proper audiophile so I guess I won't be hearing any if I compare side by side.. (but I do detect brightness haha)

Apr 30, 2016 at 5:02 PM Post #6,144 of 12,086

You're overthinking this a bit. My guess is that Fostex made the TH-X00 due to the dismal sales of the TH600 and used the leftover parts like the alloy frame and the 1.0 Tesla driver to retune and essentially create a new line. The TH600 is officially discontinued but you can still buy them online.

Also if I might add, the way your attitude towards the TH-X00 seems a little prejudiced? If I spent $2000 MSRP or even $1200 on a TH900 I would probably feel the same way if the TH-X00 sounded more balanced in frequency response with a slight loss of resolution and bass depth versus the TH900. Then I would be shaking my head asking Fostex why they made me waste my money. That is why I keep thinking if you threw a 1.5 Tesla rated TH900 driver into the Mahogony cups then you would circumvent the need to even own a TH900 (unless you want the Urushi Lacquer)

I sold my TH 900 and no, I don't feel cheated. I picked up a TH 600 recently for a decent price in great condition. I would have happily picked up a TH X00 had one been available, in fact it was my first choice. I was also tempted by the PH, but I'm quite happy with the TH 600 and if your thinking is correct, it likely sounds very much like the TH X00 and whatever tuning differences exist can be managed with an EQ. So no, I'm not bitter, I was just suggesting that if indeed the TH X00 and PH are as good (preferences aside) as the TH 900, or even the TH 600 for that matter, it would be a stupid business decision and I still stand by that opinion. Others are free to disagree, and I may even come to change my mind with more information, but as it stands, I fail to see why Fostex would do that.

Apr 30, 2016 at 5:15 PM Post #6,145 of 12,086
  I sold my TH 900 and no, I don't feel cheated. I picked up a TH 600 recently for a decent price in great condition. I would have happily picked up a TH X00 had one been available, in fact it was my first choice. I was also tempted by the PH, but I'm quite happy with the TH 600 and if your thinking is correct, it likely sounds very much like the TH X00 and whatever tuning differences exist can be managed with an EQ. So no, I'm not bitter, I was just suggesting that if indeed the TH X00 and PH are as good (preferences aside) as the TH 900, or even the TH 600 for that matter, it would be a stupid business decision and I still stand by that opinion. Others are free to disagree, and I may even come to change my mind with more information, but as it stands, I fail to see why Fostex would do that.

This might not be the case with the Fostex line up, and I have never heard the 900s. But many people just want to buy 'the most expensive', 'the flagship'. And they do not care if the actual sonic difference is not $500 worth. (Or let's say it is not better, just different for +$500) This is also marketing. There just must be a $1000+ option for people with money and desires.
 I am saying again, this might not be the case this time, but the mentioned marketing approach does exist in headphone industry.

Apr 30, 2016 at 5:42 PM Post #6,146 of 12,086

This might not be the case with the Fostex line up, and I have never heard the 900s. But many people just want to buy 'the most expensive', 'the flagship'. And they do not care if the actual sonic difference is not $500 worth. (Or let's say it is not better, just different for +$500) This is also marketing. There just must be a $1000+ option for people with money and desires.
 I am saying again, this might not be the case this time, but the mentioned marketing approach does exist in headphone industry.

I agree, there is often a big premium put on small sound quality differences. In my case, the TH 900 was a signature I just had to hear as a few years earlier I had owned a D7000 (which I wish I had never sold). Did I think it was going to sound way better than say a $600 headphone? No, but I did anticipate really liking the signature of the TH 900, which I did, as I do now with the TH 600. I do feel, from recent memory that the TH 900 certainly sounds better, but I would be hard pressed to suggest it was so much better that the extra expense was completely worth it; however it wasn't wasted money either. Anyway, the whole hobby is subjective what should a $500 headphone sound like? What should a $1000 headphone sound like? Will we let Tyll or Jude tell us, or some really rich head-fi member who can buy them all and drive them with the best gear? I don't know, so I just try what I feel is worth trying and I hope for the best.

Apr 30, 2016 at 6:26 PM Post #6,147 of 12,086
  I agree, there is often a big premium put on small sound quality differences. In my case, the TH 900 was a signature I just had to hear as a few years earlier I had owned a D7000 (which I wish I had never sold). Did I think it was going to sound way better than say a $600 headphone? No, but I did anticipate really liking the signature of the TH 900, which I did, as I do now with the TH 600. I do feel, from recent memory that the TH 900 certainly sounds better, but I would be hard pressed to suggest it was so much better that the extra expense was completely worth it; however it wasn't wasted money either. Anyway, the whole hobby is subjective what should a $500 headphone sound like? What should a $1000 headphone sound like? Will we let Tyll or Jude tell us, or some really rich head-fi member who can buy them all and drive them with the best gear? I don't know, so I just try what I feel is worth trying and I hope for the best.

Agree that the TH-900 is better than the TH-600, the gear in your audio chain that you use to drive them also makes a difference in how they will perform, after hearing both on a friends high end equipment I felt that my current gear didn't quite match up to the TH-900's technical abilities and would not do it justice so I went with the TH-600.  Still interested in TH-900 but not until I have upgraded parts of my audio chain.  Diminishing returns really makes the TH-900 a hard sell IMO, the same can be said for many TOTL headphones.

Apr 30, 2016 at 10:44 PM Post #6,148 of 12,086

Used to use an m9xx, which I bought specifically for the TH-X00, as it was my first headphone beyond entry level audiophile.  Since then, I've moved to a Liquid Carbon/Gungnir setup, which sounds awesome.  I think the important part to prioritize is an amp with very low output impedance.  A highly resolving DAC is extremely helpful as well.

May 1, 2016 at 1:52 AM Post #6,149 of 12,086
Used to use an m9xx, which I bought specifically for the TH-X00, as it was my first headphone beyond entry level audiophile.  Since then, I've moved to a Liquid Carbon/Gungnir setup, which sounds awesome.  I think the important part to prioritize is an amp with very low output impedance.  A highly resolving DAC is extremely helpful as well.
How much did you get the setup for?

We are now in the last hour of the purpleheart drop, so you'd better be quick!

May 1, 2016 at 2:28 AM Post #6,150 of 12,086
How much did you get the setup for?

We are now in the last hour of the purpleheart drop, so you'd better be quick!

My LC/Gungnir came out to be around $1200.  I just ordered a Gumby because I found one for a nice price and wanted to compare the multibit to the delta-sigma. 

I have my mahogany TH-X00.  I'll wait for reviews of the purpleheart to come out first, comparing it to the mahogany, before I decide to purchase one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back