Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Apr 29, 2016 at 9:27 PM Post #6,122 of 12,086
Not long to go fellas! 
cool.gif

Apr 30, 2016 at 12:11 AM Post #6,123 of 12,086
  I am interested in this model but I have already got TH900. So I may not buy it anymore.

I agree with Whitigir, there is almost no hope in hell the TH X00 is going to sound as good as the the TH 900, that would be the stupidest thing that Fostex could do so I'm not buying that line. I'm sure the TH X00 is an amazing headphone, and it probably gets close to the performance of the TH 900, but to think that it equals it, well .... If you already have the TH 900 and an EQ, you can do a fair amount with that alone and nobody on this planet will convince me the TH X00 is going to be better than the TH 900, that just is so freaking unlikely to border on fantasy.

Ask yourself, why on earth would Fostex do that? They didn't need to partner with Massdrop, they decided to, but it isn't like, oh my god, we are in so much trouble, Massdrop can save us, but we have to cannibalize our existing lineup and produce a design that sells for way less money and that is just as good as our flagship, this will save our company! Seriously, imagine trying to sell your managers on the need to best your flagship for cheaper. I wouldn't like to bet my position in a company on that type of "outside the box" thinking.

Apr 30, 2016 at 5:20 AM Post #6,124 of 12,086
I agree with Whitigir, there is almost no hope in hell the TH X00 is going to sound as good as the the TH 900, that would be the stupidest thing that Fostex could do so I'm not buying that line. I'm sure the TH X00 is an amazing headphone, and it probably gets close to the performance of the TH 900, but to think that it equals it, well .... If you already have the TH 900 and an EQ, you can do a fair amount with that alone and nobody on this planet will convince me the TH X00 is going to be better than the TH 900, that just is so freaking unlikely to border on fantasy.

Ask yourself, why on earth would Fostex do that? They didn't need to partner with Massdrop, they decided to, but it isn't like, oh my god, we are in so much trouble, Massdrop can save us, but we have to cannibalize our existing lineup and produce a design that sells for way less money and that is just as good as our flagship, this will save our company! Seriously, imagine trying to sell your managers on the need to best your flagship for cheaper. I wouldn't like to bet my position in a company on that type of "outside the box" thinking.

Let me remind you that being more expensive does not make the 900 "better" than the X00, they are pretty much in the same league and I think it comes down to a matter of personal preference.

Apr 30, 2016 at 5:46 AM Post #6,125 of 12,086
  I agree with Whitigir, there is almost no hope in hell the TH X00 is going to sound as good as the the TH 900, that would be the stupidest thing that Fostex could do so I'm not buying that line. 

I had a TH900 and currently use a TH X00. Let me say you are wrong. The TH X00 is comparable.  

The main issue with the TH X00 is to get comfortable fit with the small earpads.  

Apr 30, 2016 at 9:16 AM Post #6,127 of 12,086
I did not say they wouldn't be comparable, in fact I said that the TH X00 would likely get close. I owned a TH 900, never a TH X00 so obviously my post was theoretical as opposed to experience based. As for preferences, well that was not my point, I'm quite sure some people will prefer the TH X00 sound, just like some people will prefer the Grado 325 over say an HD 650. My point was, and remains, from a technical stand point it would be foolish for Fostex to produce a headphone that was the technical equal of the TH 900 for so much less, more than foolish, ludicrous. Now as people have said, preference wise that is a different thing, and I am equally confident that there will be some TH 900 owners who own both but still prefer the TH 900.

If Fostex created this equivalent headphone what will that do to the TH 900, or any headphone they try to release with a much higher retail price? I'm sure for some people they won't care and they will buy the new premium offering anyway, but I would think a great many people would look at a very expensive offering and wonder what they are paying for as the TH X00 suggests it is hype and bling only. If this is the business model Fostex is engaging in all I can say is wow, that is stupid and frankly, it will keep me from buying any new flagship from them again as it seems clear they are going to undercut their customers eventually so I should just wait. That is the take away message I get from this type of arrangement.

And as for price not equaling performance, well I agree there isn't a perfect linear relationship, but I think price does carry a significant effect on quality. That might not always be the case, but more often than not it does matter. The real question is diminishing returns and I certainly am aware of that, but I will not say price has no relationship to the finished product either.

Apr 30, 2016 at 10:14 AM Post #6,128 of 12,086
Having owned both and currently owning the TH-X00, I will say that the TH-900 is superior in terms of technicalities, but I do prefer the meatier sound signature of the TH-X00 and find its presentation as a whole to be more satisfying.

The TH-900 has a more expansive soundstage, but sounds thinner in comparison.  My opinion may change if I got to try the TH-900 on the same setup as the TH-X00 right now.

Apr 30, 2016 at 10:37 AM Post #6,129 of 12,086
The TH-X00 should be more comparable to the TH-610. The TH-610 is the MK2 of TH600 but with detachable cable and more presence in mid range. 
The X00 should not be compared with the TH900 or the TH900MK2 since Fostex is not dumb. 

Apr 30, 2016 at 10:38 AM Post #6,130 of 12,086
On another note, I find it extremely important to get the ear pads rotated to a certain position and an exact placement on my head before I achieve optimal comfort and sound quality from the TH-X00.

This is kind of annoying and somewhat OCD inducing but is rewarding in the sense that I don't have any comfort issues and the sound is sublime!  I perfect blend of relaxation and quality.

Apr 30, 2016 at 10:53 AM Post #6,131 of 12,086
On another note, I find it extremely important to get the ear pads rotated to a certain position and an exact placement on my head before I achieve optimal comfort and sound quality from the TH-X00.

This is kind of annoying and somewhat OCD inducing but is rewarding in the sense that I don't have any comfort issues and the sound is sublime!  I perfect blend of relaxation and quality.

You are not ocd, just read this post, and make sure your foam discs are in place.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/802704/th-900-fostex-ez-simple-mods-and-other-fostex-dynamic-variants-x00-denon-more-bass-mid-soundstage-smooth-trebles

Apr 30, 2016 at 11:15 AM Post #6,133 of 12,086
  I will say that the TH-900 is superior in terms of technicalities, but I do prefer the meatier sound signature of the TH-X00 and find its presentation as a whole to be more satisfying.

The TH-900 has a more expansive soundstage, but sounds thinner in comparison.

+1

The TH900 is an audiophile way of listening to music, for rocking out the THX00 wins. For audiophile 'nerd' listening the TH900 brings out more than the THX00. Rocking out is more fun. I like the THX00 better with my music 
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back