Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Mar 29, 2016 at 6:10 AM Post #5,731 of 12,086

I own both so I'll give my 10 cents.

TH-X00 is more comfy for me, bigger, earpads go around your ears not on them like PM-3. PM-3 being on your ear makes it feel even more closed off and the soundstage suffers with less space. For me it's very comfortable and you can always swap pads in the future, there are a few options out there.

TH-X00 are made for metal music, they're far more exciting than the PM-3 and have a more extended top end and deeper bass. They're my favourite metal headphone and I've had a lot! Mids aren't really recessed, just not as prominent as bass/treble.

thx, for your 10 cents man, do you think that the newer th-x00 will have a more recessed mids?
I really like mids which is why I like pm-3, still thinking whether to get this or beyer dt1770. the cans will only be used for primarily for metal, seems like this can will perform very well.

Mar 29, 2016 at 9:12 AM Post #5,732 of 12,086
  thx, for your 10 cents man, do you think that the newer th-x00 will have a more recessed mids?
I really like mids which is why I like pm-3, still thinking whether to get this or beyer dt1770. the cans will only be used for primarily for metal, seems like this can will perform very well.

Mids won't be the focus like the PM-3. TH-X00 excels more at bass, soundstage and treble so there is some trade-offs but the mids still sound good to me, and the new version will sound really similar, the person who tried it said not to worry about the perceived differences as they were minor to him.

If you want mids + highs then I really enjoy the Grado sr60e. Been listening to the new Moonsorrow album on PM-3/TH-X00 and sr60e today and the sr60e is really awesome. I prefer the 60e to the more expensive 325is and Magnum v6.

Mar 29, 2016 at 10:23 AM Post #5,733 of 12,086

I had the PM3 on loaner last year so my memory could be off - but what struck me about the PM3 is how smooth/laid back it was with some good bass.  But when i first listened to the TH-X00 what impressed me was how impactful the bass was and how sharp/energetic the highs were..so it definitely has a U shaped sound. The mids also seemed slightly vieled, but not that bad. 

THX00 should excel at metal i would think

Mar 29, 2016 at 10:35 AM Post #5,734 of 12,086
The TH-X00 are great with Metal.
evil_smiley.gif

Mar 29, 2016 at 12:47 PM Post #5,737 of 12,086
How about X00 for electronica like Carbon Based Lifeforms, Infected Mushroom, Juno Reactor, Koan, Liquid Soul, Shpongle, Solar Fields, Tycho, Vibrasphere, etc?

Mar 29, 2016 at 1:12 PM Post #5,738 of 12,086
  How about X00 for electronica like Carbon Based Lifeforms, Infected Mushroom, Juno Reactor, Koan, Liquid Soul, Shpongle, Solar Fields, Tycho, Vibrasphere, etc?

Yes the great thing about the TH-X00 is how well they scale with Bass EQ.  If you want you can jack your Bass up +8db and your headphones/ears will basically be vibrating like a subwoofer wrapped around your head.  It's really fun.  Basshead approved.

I'm not saying that's how you listen to your Electronica (+8db) I'm just letting you know how capable they are.

Mar 29, 2016 at 1:23 PM Post #5,740 of 12,086

Yes the great thing about the TH-X00 is how well they scale with Bass EQ.  If you want you can jack your Bass up +8db and your headphones/ears will basically be vibrating like a subwoofer wrapped around your head.  It's really fun.  Basshead approved.

I'm not saying that's how you listen to your Electronica (+8db) I'm just letting you know how capable they are.

Cool, thanks. I am not a fan of EQ-ing. With Micro iCan I did like to use the bass knob on the first switch (out of the two) but with Mojo I do not feel at all I need to exaggerate any part of the frequencies, not even bass. It is just there in the perfect quantity and quality. I could never stand software EQ. Therefore I was worrying a little bit before purchasing Mojo, that is doesn't have physical EQ (like Micro iCan had). But my worries were without any base. X2 gives me enough bass with Mojo. Although the bass could be a bit tighter and snappier. But that is what I hope X00 will give me. With no additional EQ.

Mar 29, 2016 at 1:24 PM Post #5,741 of 12,086
  hifiman he500 vs the thx00 anyone who has experience with both

Had both.  HE500.  The x00 was fun, certainly a quality phone, and excelled in particular genres. felt the 500 was a better all rounder, was generally better in a lot of regards and was close enough to giving me what the x00 was better at that i would just take the 500 over it.  

Mar 29, 2016 at 1:44 PM Post #5,742 of 12,086

Cool, thanks. I am not a fan of EQ-ing. With Micro iCan I did like to use the bass knob on the first switch (out of the two) but with Mojo I do not feel at all I need to exaggerate any part of the frequencies, not even bass. It is just there in the perfect quantity and quality. I could never stand software EQ. Therefore I was worrying a little bit before purchasing Mojo, that is doesn't have physical EQ (like Micro iCan had). But my worries were without any base. X2 gives me enough bass with Mojo. Although the bass could be a bit tighter and snappier. But that is what I hope X00 will give me. With no additional EQ.

Yea I'm not a big fan of software EQ but I plug into my Yamaha receiver and use the hardware Bass boost if I'm really in the mood.  Otherwise I like to listen to flat EQ.  

The bass is already north of neutral without EQing so I wouldn't worry about that.  I returned my X2 and kept the TH-X00 after A-B testing the two and I also listen to Electronica.  The TH-X00 was definitely a step up for me. 

Mar 29, 2016 at 2:01 PM Post #5,744 of 12,086
Updated with specific guidelines on simple and easy mods to bring out more quality out of your Fostex here.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/802704/th-900-fostex-ez-simple-mods-and-other-fostex-dynamic-variants-x00-denon-more-bass-mid-soundstage-smooth-trebles#post_12447388

Users who are viewing this thread

Back