Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Mar 28, 2016 at 11:22 AM Post #5,717 of 12,086
And for the love of god, Massdrop, contact Hifiman for some updated ORIGINAL HE400. Double-sided magnet, big body bass included, with less treble.

You'd make an absolute MINT off them. We want a true HE-400 successor, not these 400i and 400s headphones that don't even sound anything like an HE400.

TRUST ME ON THIS. If you got HFM to do this with you, you'd make a LOT of people happy.

For someone who has owned TH900s and various other headphones, only to come back to owning a HE-400 as my main headphone, I'm telling you, the market wants it.

Agreed! I don't agree with the HE-400 being more enjoyable than the TH900's in most regards; however, I would certainly love a revamped HE-400. This honestly would be my favourite drop yet! My current HE400's are one of my favourite headphones easily. Massdrop needs to listen to you :)! I've heard amazing things about the HE-500, but have never owned them...so a revamp drop of them would be amazing as well in my opinion.

Mar 28, 2016 at 12:01 PM Post #5,719 of 12,086
Hello HeadFi.

About four months ago I bought M100s for half price of the $300 retail during Black Friday. It is my first over $100 headphones and at first they sounded well, but then I heard about the Fostex TH-X00 and now I have my eyes set on those. Is it worth the upgrade? I do not care about the looks, portability, earcups, wires, etc (well, maybe later). The sound quality is where it's at. I might have to sell my M100s to contribute to the price of the TH-X00s. Also, if it is worth the upgrade, is a amp/dac good to have? Thanks.

Mar 28, 2016 at 12:21 PM Post #5,720 of 12,086
  Hello HeadFi.

About four months ago I bought M100s for half price of the $300 retail during Black Friday. It is my first over $100 headphones and at first they sounded well, but then I heard about the Fostex TH-X00 and now I have my eyes set on those. Is it worth the upgrade? I do not care about the looks, portability, earcups, wires, etc (well, maybe later). The sound quality is where it's at. I might have to sell my M100s to contribute to the price of the TH-X00s. Also, if it is worth the upgrade, is a amp/dac good to have? Thanks.

I'd say this would be very hard to answer....as they are your first audiophile grade headphones. The TH-X00's are a better headphone in my opinion, but if you're used to the sound signature of the M100's....you may feel like you're losing out on bass and mistake that for losing out on quality. I'm only saying this because a lot of people I know who have grown accustom to such heavy hitting bass headphones think that headphones with less bass impact are not as good. The M100's are more bright with huge bass impact, and would be considered a "bass can". If you're happy with your M100's, I wouldn't recommend switching without listening to other set's of headphones first....maybe at a meet-up or store. Also, the TH-X00's are not as portable/durable as the M100's and not as isolated. So if you plan on listening to them in public areas a lot and don't want others hearing what you're listening to....probably not the headphone for you. For home-use, I'd highly recommend them if they are in your budget.

Hopefully someone else can go into detail about the differences between the two sets of headphones, but I'd highly recommend trying a pair before buying them on the off chance that you're not a fan. It sucks that listening to the TH-X00's might be hard to do as they are a Massdrop exclusive and it's unlikely to be able to listen to them at any store near you.

Mar 28, 2016 at 12:59 PM Post #5,721 of 12,086
Hello HeadFi.

quality headphones dont really start to get good until you get around the mid teir range. So yea thx00 will be better.

Mar 28, 2016 at 1:44 PM Post #5,722 of 12,086
  Hello HeadFi.

To add to what @Raizel posted above, I would suggest listening to a few other headphones in the $200 to $500 range if possible to get a better idea of what type of sound you like.  While I don't have a TH-X00 I have the M-100 and TH-600, I have heard the TH-900 a few times and own a few other headphones.  The M-100 is a "basshead" headphone, it has too much bass IMO but for someone who like bass its a better headphone than any Beats or Bose that I have heard.  If you do get the TH-X00 don't sell your M-100 until after you have had a chance to listen to the TH-X00 to be sure its a sound signature that you like.

Amp/DAC upgrade for your M-100 is not needed but for the TH-X00 is might be worthwhile depending on what you currently have.  If you are currently using the output from a phone or computer then the DAC/amp upgrade may be something to consider but some computers have decent/good sound chips on the motherboard so "upgrading" to a cheap DAC/amp may not yield much improvement.

Mar 28, 2016 at 1:56 PM Post #5,723 of 12,086
  To add to what @Raizel posted above, I would suggest listening to a few other headphones in the $200 to $500 range if possible to get a better idea of what type of sound you like.  While I don't have a TH-X00 I have the M-100 and TH-600, I have heard the TH-900 a few times and own a few other headphones.  The M-100 is a "basshead" headphone, it has too much bass IMO but for someone who like bass its a better headphone than any Beats or Bose that I have heard.  If you do get the TH-X00 don't sell your M-100 until after you have had a chance to listen to the TH-X00 to be sure its a sound signature that you like.

Amp/DAC upgrade for your M-100 is not needed but for the TH-X00 is might be worthwhile depending on what you currently have.  If you are currently using the output from a phone or computer then the DAC/amp upgrade may be something to consider but some computers have decent/good sound chips on the motherboard so "upgrading" to a cheap DAC/amp may not yield much improvement.

I owned M100. I like bass and I thought I could be happy with M100 only. X2 however is just much more my taste. More opened, more natural, more spacious. Even with EDM. M100 was congested and limited to my ears. Yes, they have a really enjoyable bass. But that is it. No natural and present mids, no spacious and sparkling highs.
There are tons of better sounding semi-opened or opened hedphones out there than M100.
 X2 and NH are 2 of them.
Hopefully X00 will be even better than X2 or NH. As X2 and NH are not perfect, but miles better than M100.

Mar 28, 2016 at 5:10 PM Post #5,724 of 12,086
Hopefully X00 will be even better than X2 or NH. As X2 and NH are not perfect, but miles better than M100.

Having owned all 4 headphones, I agree with this. And in my opinion, the X00's are.

Mar 28, 2016 at 5:58 PM Post #5,725 of 12,086
@bestula, had the X2 but not yet tried the NH.  I returned the X2 since it was really similar to the X1 that I have and didn't do anything different enough to make me want to keep them.  Yes there are many headphones out there that sound better than the M-100, I still have my M-100 but its packed away in the original box waiting for me to sell or give away.  I got them for a really good price is the only reason I got them since living in Hawaii there are no places to audition.

Mar 29, 2016 at 12:35 AM Post #5,726 of 12,086
As someone who does not like a V-shaped signature, would I be put off by the TH-X00's signature? Right now, I'm used to the sound signature of the AD2kX as well as the U12 IEM.

Mar 29, 2016 at 3:04 AM Post #5,727 of 12,086
I need some info in this cans regarding comfort guys..

I'm using oppo pm-3 now, the opening of the pads fits my ears perfectly, although sometimes i feel that it is a bit too small, regardless it is still comfortable.

Is the th-x00 earpads opening bigger or at least the same size as oppo pm-3?

btw, I'm into metal music, does someone has any experience with this cans with metal musics?

I'm a bit worried that the mids might be too recessed to my liking

thx guys 

Mar 29, 2016 at 3:17 AM Post #5,728 of 12,086
  I need some info in this cans regarding comfort guys..

I'm using oppo pm-3 now, the opening of the pads fits my ears perfectly, although sometimes i feel that it is a bit too small, regardless it is still comfortable.

Is the th-x00 earpads opening bigger or at least the same size as oppo pm-3?

btw, I'm into metal music, does someone has any experience with this cans with metal musics?

I'm a bit worried that the mids might be too recessed to my liking

thx guys 

I own both so I'll give my 10 cents.

TH-X00 is more comfy for me, bigger, earpads go around your ears not on them like PM-3. PM-3 being on your ear makes it feel even more closed off and the soundstage suffers with less space. For me it's very comfortable and you can always swap pads in the future, there are a few options out there.

TH-X00 are made for metal music, they're far more exciting than the PM-3 and have a more extended top end and deeper bass. They're my favourite metal headphone and I've had a lot! Mids aren't really recessed, just not as prominent as bass/treble.

Mar 29, 2016 at 5:58 AM Post #5,730 of 12,086
  And so the long wait begins.

No doubt ! Hell I am a old guy, I may not be around in late summer/ fall. I think I will just wait for the TH610. Is anyone else struggling on this too ?
Never mind, just looking back a few pages I see I am not the only one that has a issue with the wait time !
That's just too long in my humble opinion. Plus the TH610 has detachable cables, I just need to stop looking at the Purpleheart.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back