Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Jan 27, 2016 at 7:18 AM Post #4,336 of 12,086
  Not sure if you're confusing posters or if this wasn't directed at me, but I said I enjoy them with EDM,  I didn't call them amazing.   The only thing that truly amazes me about the Pro900's is how crazy big the bass can get while still sounding pretty cold overall and how finicky they are about fitment.  It's relegated to sessions where I will only be listening to EDM and not much else.  Even then the sessions aren't very long.  I've actually had both sets on at different times tonight.  The Pro900's made it around the hour mark and I swapped out for the TH-X00's.  Those have been on my head for the last three hours... everything from Blackmill to Ben E. King, Florence & the machine to Disturbed.  TH-X00's sounds good with it all.

I'm in agreement here and with @TWerk. The Pro900's have an incredible wow factor, but are very genre specific (EDM and hip-hop to these ears) and are quite fatiguing. But, when you're in the mood for some bassy electronic punishment, I haven't heard anything better than the Pro900's. Frankly, my advice on Ultrasone is to save your pennies and buy a good used pair of Signature DJ's. Far more genre friendly, better sub bass, and far more suitable for longer listening sessions.

However, unless you need isolation, I'd recommend the TH-X00 over the Signature DJ. To my ears, more sub bass, better mids, and roomier comfort. Also, I don't feel the X00 suffers too much from diminishing returns. The Signature DJ is a swanky headphone with the Ethiopian sheepskin and such, which you certainly pay for but I'm not so sure it's worth the price of admission. 

Jan 27, 2016 at 8:13 AM Post #4,338 of 12,086
Wooden headphones? WHAT SORCERY IS THIS?

They do look very impressive from the pictures. Goodness knows what the price to get these to Finland would be. Enjoying my X2 these days, but I could find some love for these...

Actually pretty inexpensive, 15$ international shipping.
You will have to pay customs for them though, so I think it'll end up around 450€ in total.

Also for the new page, so that someone might see it
Joined the drop, hopefully I'll enjoy these to their prices worth!

Got few questions in general I'd appreciate if someone can answer:

Do I need to wax the mahogany or something? Or is just wiping with micro fiber cloth enough to take care of these so that they last years?
Also this is totally off-topic I guess but is there anything I can do to preserve them for longer time too? I had my Beyer DT770/600 right ear driver die on my months ago which came as a shock after 5 years of daily use. I just use my headphones on computer that is on the floor, run the cable behind the table and always leave my headphones on desk, I assume having cable go long way like that doesn't wear it or anything and leaving them on desk doesn't hurt them.. or should I invest on headphone stand?
Damn, It's hard to cope with the loss.

Jan 27, 2016 at 9:45 AM Post #4,339 of 12,086
After scouring this thread, i might actually back out of the x00 and go with the HE-400i. it's not on sale right now, but finding it on sale some time in the next 3 months shouldn't be too difficult. might even go used. i know the bass won't punch as much as the x00, but i'm hoping it sonically compares when going into the deep bass frequencies. A big part of why I'm thinking this is a good idea is because my music interests are far too varied to ignore how important linearity is for me. But maybe the Fostex aren't as heavy W shaped as I'm making them out to be. Thoughts appreciated, thanks!

Also, whenever I see someone say "sonically"

Jan 27, 2016 at 9:51 AM Post #4,340 of 12,086
  After scouring this thread, i might actually back out of the x00 and go with the HE-400i. it's not on sale right now, but finding it on sale some time in the next 3 months shouldn't be too difficult. might even go used. i know the bass won't punch as much as the x00, but i'm hoping it sonically compares when going into the deep bass frequencies. A big part of why I'm thinking this is a good idea is because my music interests are far too varied to ignore how important linearity is for me. But maybe the Fostex aren't as heavy W shaped as I'm making them out to be. Thoughts appreciated, thanks!

Do not forget that they are totally different headphones, once I had bought HE-400s -  as my colleague said "They are headphones with built in speakers", there is no way to listen them at work in the office. I sent mine back (yes, that was S model, not i but there is no difference in sound leakage) the same day and got Denon ah-mm400 instead, then replaced ah-mm400s by x00.

Jan 27, 2016 at 9:51 AM Post #4,341 of 12,086

Yeah, if I had to pick one between the two, and sound leakage wasn't a concern, I'd go with the HE400i.  If I could use the HE400i at work, I don't know if I'd even need the THX00 at all.  But, the HE400i gushes sound out, and it's not really feasible at work when my secretary is in, so the THX00 it is for work.  And the THX00 is incredible, and I couldn't ask for a better work headphone.  But yeah, the HE400i is really very special.  I think it's a bargain even if you pay $499 for it.  

Jan 27, 2016 at 9:56 AM Post #4,342 of 12,086

Do not forget that they are totally different headphones, once I had bought HE-400s -  as my colleague said "They are headphones with built in speakers", there is no way to listen them at work in the office. I sent mine back (yes, that was S model, not i but there is no difference in sound leakage) the same day and got Denon ah-mm400 instead, then replaced ah-mm400s by x00.

Yeah, if I had to pick one between the two, and sound leakage wasn't a concern, I'd go with the HE400i.  If I could use the HE400i at work, I don't know if I'd even need the THX00 at all.  But, the HE400i gushes sound out, and it's not really feasible at work when my secretary is in, so the THX00 it is for work.  And the THX00 is incredible, and I couldn't ask for a better work headphone.  But yeah, the HE400i is really very special.  I think it's a bargain even if you pay $499 for it.  

i really appreciate the reassurance. I'm sure i'd love the x00s but i think i'll feel better about the he400i's. Also, my response to your concern with using these at work: https://youtu.be/UbkwELpUhmA

Jan 27, 2016 at 10:00 AM Post #4,343 of 12,086
I hear this headphone has a pretty good soundstage in terms of (semi)closed cans, but how does it hold up against even a bad open headphones? For reference I didn't find LCD2s soundstage to be claustrophobic or bad and I have a k7xx. I don't mind a smaller soundstage, it just needs to sound immersive and sorta open.

Jan 27, 2016 at 10:05 AM Post #4,344 of 12,086

i really appreciate the reassurance. I'm sure i'd love the x00s but i think i'll feel better about the he400i's. Also, my response to your concern with using these at work: https://youtu.be/UbkwELpUhmA

:)

BTW, they get flattened in about 50 - 100hrs of warn up time, i.e bass is still there but not disturbing anymore. I was worrying about bass quantity before I get them since I'm nor a bass head.

Sent mine to change stock cable - it is the only bad in these headphones for me.

Jan 27, 2016 at 10:23 AM Post #4,345 of 12,086
Given what I own, this is a nice addition to the small collection of things I have. It will be my 3rd set of cans all which have their own niche in their own right. @$399 I think these are worth it!

Others here can really point out the differences and for that I am more than thankful. Overall much more positive than negative, $399 is kind of pricey for me but this is one hobby where $399 is a DROP in the bucket, which is scary to somebody like me that lives in bargain land! :) Both my HD600s and my LCD2.1s were used,  this will be my first new cans ever!
o2smile.gif

Jan 27, 2016 at 12:21 PM Post #4,347 of 12,086
I hear this headphone has a pretty good soundstage in terms of (semi)closed cans, but how does it hold up against even a bad open headphones? For reference I didn't find LCD2s soundstage to be claustrophobic or bad and I have a k7xx. I don't mind a smaller soundstage, it just needs to sound immersive and sorta open.

I think the soundstage is very similar to the LCD pre-fazor.

Jan 27, 2016 at 2:08 PM Post #4,350 of 12,086

Users who are viewing this thread

Back