Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Jan 27, 2016 at 3:55 PM Post #4,366 of 12,086
I'm not sure about metal as the flex in the plastic helps changing pads, but i'd buy a couple of pairs of plastic ones to make switching between pads easier.

yes, you absolutely need the plastic flex to get some of the pads people use for these on.

Jan 27, 2016 at 5:54 PM Post #4,368 of 12,086
  Wide for a semi-closed or closed headphone... not when comparing to dynamic open back's.  Don't mislead prospective purchasers with hype and hyperbole.

I wouldn't say it is hype or hyperbole. I think the TH-X00 soundstage is as good or better than the HD600 and that headphone isn't exactly known for having a massive soundstage like the AKGs but it counts as an open dynamic headphone. EDIT: And to be fair, I'm using Alpha pads not stock pads. That has something to do with why I perceive a bigger soundstage. With the stock pads there was great width, less depth cause of the shallower space for ears and distance to drivers.

Jan 27, 2016 at 6:01 PM Post #4,369 of 12,086
  I would say the soundstage on the thx00 is pretty good for a closed can. Seems to me the soundstange is roughly the same size as the 400i, but I might miss recall.

Either way, I feel like the soundstage on the thx00 is very good in general, and the statement did not read as exageration to me at all.

Adding the Alpha Pads also adds to the sound stage as well!  Though honestly, "width" is... easy there are lots of very WIDE headphones in terms of sound stage, what the TH X00 does really well is depth! For Metal and EDM I find the TH X00 has a better sense of Depth than my LA D5k, though frankly the LA D5k is more transparent so if your metal band didn't actually take the time to record or mix any kind of depth into the recording... it won't be there

how ever the some what forward mids, darker top end and solid sub bass do a nice job of adding a psudeo depth to a lot of badly mix'd music! Ofc with a high quality mix or master, the LA D5k takes the cake easy, but that's what I love about the TH X00, it has a great quality of sound, very even and not too picky 

Jan 27, 2016 at 6:46 PM Post #4,370 of 12,086

I love the naturalness of the XOO as the timbre of the instruments sound spot on for me listening to jazz. I think this is end-game for me for a closed can. The only thing I`d like more of is separation, so the hunt continues for the right open hp. The X2 and the 400S just aren`t quite there for me.

Jan 27, 2016 at 7:13 PM Post #4,371 of 12,086

I love the naturalness of the XOO as the timbre of the instruments sound spot on for me listening to jazz. I think this is end-game for me for a closed can. The only thing I`d like more of is separation, so the hunt continues for the right open hp. The X2 and the 400S just aren`t quite there for me.

I haven't heard the X00 yet, so I can't say which open backed cans might sound similar, but I see a lot of praise on here for the HE-560, and of course I think the HD600/650 are hard to beat.

Jan 27, 2016 at 7:40 PM Post #4,372 of 12,086

I haven't heard the X00 yet, so I can't say which open backed cans might sound similar, but I see a lot of praise on here for the HE-560, and of course I think the HD600/650 are hard to beat.

Thanks Merrick, I`m pretty familiar with other`s impressions with these hp`s. I`m in no hurry as I`m enjoying the XOO`s immensely.
atsmile.gif

Jan 28, 2016 at 12:24 AM Post #4,376 of 12,086

I have both the X2 and the TH-XOO. The X2 is collecting dust. To my ears the XOO is clean, balanced, detailed yet smooth. I listen to mostly small jazz groups. YMMV

I returned my X2s.  They were noticeably sibilant after using the X00 and not as enjoyable so I just knew I wouldn't use them anymore after getting the X00.

Perk of buying from Amazon I guess.

Jan 28, 2016 at 1:59 AM Post #4,377 of 12,086
I have the X2 and I had the TH-X00 (until I gave it to my brother in law) and I thought the TH-X00 was clearly superior to the X2 in most respects except for sound stage. The thick, stiff, non-detachable cables of the TH-X00 were a also a bit awkward as compared to the X2's outstanding cable. Still, overall, the Fostex was the better of the two and it is well worth its not inconsiderable price. In fact, it's good enough that I have another one on order from Massdrop.

Jan 28, 2016 at 8:07 AM Post #4,378 of 12,086
Looks like today is the day it will finish (probably before noon). Wonder how many fence sitters FOMO (fear of missing out) is gonna snare? If the FOMO hits hard it could be done before noon.

Jan 28, 2016 at 8:42 AM Post #4,379 of 12,086
Looks like today is the day it will finish (probably before noon). Wonder how many fence sitters FOMO (fear of missing out) is gonna snare? If the FOMO hits hard it could be done before noon.

I woke up today secretly hoping they'd be sold out so that I wouldn't have to spend another day sitting in my hands.

Must.. resist.. dark side..

Jan 28, 2016 at 9:05 AM Post #4,380 of 12,086
I woke up today secretly hoping they'd be sold out so that I wouldn't have to spend another day sitting in my hands.

Must.. resist.. dark side..

Why don't you just join us and feel the power of the dark side?.. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back