Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Jan 27, 2016 at 1:28 AM Post #4,321 of 12,086
  A quick comparison, so X100 bass is much better than my current Custom One Pro? I use Fiio E17 btw

I only briefly listened to the COP (in a large store setting) so I can't really compare but I really doubt the two are in the same league from a technicality standpoint...

Jan 27, 2016 at 1:29 AM Post #4,322 of 12,086
The word amazing u use for pro900 and great for TH X00. 
Haha, I'm wondering now :frowning2:

How amazing ultrasone pro900 for EDM? and can it bears with current top songs out there?

But can TH X00 be really amazing too in EDM? :frowning2:

Jan 27, 2016 at 1:31 AM Post #4,323 of 12,086
Hahaha. Thanks man. I know they are not on the same level.
This is why Ive been wonder between Pro900 and TH X00 for my big upgrade.

Just to mention, this is gonna be the headphone that i listen at home mostly. I will use my jaybird for any outside activity. :)

Jan 27, 2016 at 1:38 AM Post #4,324 of 12,086
  The word amazing u use for pro900 and great for TH X00. 
Haha, I'm wondering now :frowning2:

How amazing ultrasone pro900 for EDM? and can it bears with current top songs out there?

But can TH X00 be really amazing too in EDM? :frowning2:

Not sure if you're confusing posters or if this wasn't directed at me, but I said I enjoy them with EDM,  I didn't call them amazing.   The only thing that truly amazes me about the Pro900's is how crazy big the bass can get while still sounding pretty cold overall and how finicky they are about fitment.  It's relegated to sessions where I will only be listening to EDM and not much else.  Even then the sessions aren't very long.  I've actually had both sets on at different times tonight.  The Pro900's made it around the hour mark and I swapped out for the TH-X00's.  Those have been on my head for the last three hours... everything from Blackmill to Ben E. King, Florence & the machine to Disturbed.  TH-X00's sounds good with it all.

Jan 27, 2016 at 2:03 AM Post #4,326 of 12,086
I found the mids too recessed and the bass too messy on the X2. Am I going to have the same problem with the TH-X00?

nope, Th X00 is rather mid forward actually! I was impressed how it compared to the some what more withdrawn but articulated mids of my LA D5k, and as others has said

the TH X00 is one of the easiest cans I've owned! It just sounds good with everything, yea I can nick pick [and often do] but if you don't want to own a headphone for like every genre, the TH X00 is a great way to go! 

Jan 27, 2016 at 2:10 AM Post #4,328 of 12,086
Thank you! The X2 started out good, but once I compared them to the Grado 225e I realized how boomy and messy the bass on the X2 is, and how much I was missing from the mids. I saw an earlier comment that the TH-X00 is a can for Grado lovers who want to remember what bass sounds like, which is encouraging because I do love Grados!

Jan 27, 2016 at 2:12 AM Post #4,329 of 12,086
So glad these are back up for sale. Grabbed mine immediately. A few years ago I purchased the th-600 and loved the way it sounded except for the bass, which I found completely overpowering. Ended up returning them for that reason. I missed the boat on the first batch of th-x00's and was so bummed. Very excited to hear something like the th-600 with a more controlled bass response.

Nope, stock pads have worse bass than a TH-600 (more quantity with more bloat). The bass being toned down is non-sense. When they are using the same pads, the bass is identical. 

Jan 27, 2016 at 2:42 AM Post #4,330 of 12,086
Can anyone compare these to the AKG k712, or the LCD-2?

Considerably more efficient than either of those and unlike those, is easily driven by a low-output impedance solid-state amp.

More sub-bass quantity than the K712, along with more treble quantity. Weirder soundstage too, almost tunnel-like, which just annoyed me most of the time as it was very unnatural compared to the K712's which is more 3D-convincing. Might be a good, even a great, purchase for those who listen to any kind of electronica, because for me that's pretty much the only genre it didn't annoy me with. I couldn't use it with anything else (classical, jazz, folk/bluegrass, rock, metal).

(Btw, I'm using past tense because I just sent them off to the 1/30 Phoenix AZ meet.)

Jan 27, 2016 at 3:10 AM Post #4,331 of 12,086
Joined the drop, hopefully I'll enjoy these to their prices worth!

Got few questions in general I'd appreciate if someone can answer:

Do I need to wax the mahogany or something? Or is just wiping with micro fiber cloth enough to take care of these so that they last years?
Also this is totally off-topic I guess but is there anything I can do to preserve them for longer time too? I had my Beyer DT770/600 right ear driver die on my months ago which came as a shock after 5 years of daily use. I just use my headphones on computer that is on the floor, run the cable behind the table and always leave my headphones on desk, I assume having cable go long way like that doesn't wear it or anything and leaving them on desk doesn't hurt them.. or should I invest on headphone stand?
Damn, It's hard to cope with the loss.

Jan 27, 2016 at 3:16 AM Post #4,332 of 12,086
   Fostex x TH-X00 cost 2x as much as the X2, What. I have not listened to the Fostex x TH-X00, but I don't see it as that much of a upgrade. It's unreasonable in term of price when compare to the X2 price. I would rather save up and get the hifiman he-560

With excuses like this, you're missing a chance to experience one of the best basshead headphones in the market. I was where you were in the first drop and didn't join it. One of the biggest mistakes of 2015 for me. I had TH900 for a week and it had the best bass I've ever heard. Forget about planar magnetic fans and their words about how planar bass is the best bass ever. I've had and listened to various planar headphones from Audeze, Oppo, Hifiman... If you like jazz, top 40 music, classical etc. then yes planar bass is great. But if you're an EDM fan, a hiphop addict, drum'n bass lover, then no, planar bass just won't cut it. Decay is too fast and you don't feel the impact and pressure needed for those genres. You must get an audiophile basshead headphone from brands like Fostex, Ultrasone, JVC... Dynamic bass is indeed something else when the driver is good and the tuning is done right. HE-560 could never ever give you that.

X2 is a good, fun headphone. But its strong point is its mid-bass. It has some sub-bass but nowhere near the extension, power and authority of TH-X00. I didn't keep TH900 because its treble was a bit bothersome in some tracks, my ears are very sensitive. TH-X00 treble is tamed compared to TH900's treble so there should be no problems with it. Thus, I joined the 2nd drop and I think you should too. 

Jan 27, 2016 at 6:25 AM Post #4,334 of 12,086
Just ordered these after listening to the incredible TH-900 at my local store. Listened to some other high end headphones like the HE1000, HD800, HE560, Edition X etc but the bass of the 900's sold me. If these are anything close to the TH-900 I'll be a happy camper.

Jan 27, 2016 at 6:59 AM Post #4,335 of 12,086
Does anyone know if the yoke that connects the drivers is made of metal or of plastic? My HP150's yoke snapped because it was made of plastic, is it the same case here? 

Magnesium.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back