Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Jan 13, 2016 at 7:15 PM Post #3,991 of 12,086
Less bass bloat as well as less mid-bass, so yes less bass. Depending on who you ask that's a good thing or not.

Hmm, that definitely wasn't my experience. I've also never seen burn in that actually changed the frequency response, though people have tried to measure it any number of times. My experience was that the bass decay sped up, and distortions smoothed out. But no actual change to the frequency response. Though I suppose faster bass can sometimes be perceived as lower quantity bass.

Jan 13, 2016 at 7:40 PM Post #3,994 of 12,086

You're saying it has less bass after burn in? Not better bass, but actually less bass?

Less bass bloat as well as less mid-bass, so yes less bass. Depending on who you ask that's a good thing or not.

That's also my experience. The higher, blooming part of bass removed but the lower, rumbling part retains. As a result mids may also appear more forward. Before, the mids and mid-bass and sub-bass are somewhat like... they are 'one', bass directly took the hand of lower mids together into a booming dance hall. While now mid-bass definitely has retired to become the back dancer leaving mids solo, with sub-bass and highs are the band.

I'm guessing it's a change similar to that of Alpha Pads makes, in short I would just describe the change like the way the owner of Alpha Pads did.

Jan 13, 2016 at 7:42 PM Post #3,995 of 12,086
My response was in context to his "treble tamed" "too much bass" original post. But his initial on the THX00 both coincides with the amount of decay the bass had so I said let it burn in and the bass settles down while the highs sparkle. Less quantity of bass is faster bass, no?

Misread you when you said level of bass as opposed to quantity of bass, less quantity is less bass no? But we do both agree that burn-in changes the bass (in quantity).
Quote:
Hmm, that definitely wasn't my experience. I've also never seen burn in that actually changed the frequency response, though people have tried to measure it any number of times. My experience was that the bass decay sped up, and distortions smoothed out. But no actual change to the frequency response. Though I suppose faster bass can sometimes be perceived as lower quantity bass.

Burn in and I bet you'll like the sound. Give it 150hrs but 72hrs should tighten the bass and bring out the highs.

Burn in with LOUD electronic music. (Dont wear headphones)

Quote:

Very beautiful cups, pads are fortunately deep enough for my ears. Treble seems a bit tamed vs. the TH900, but bass is still too much to my taste. The bass level of the Master-1 is all I can take for longer listening.

Quote:
  hhhh nice xD 

Bass on a budget!

Jan 13, 2016 at 7:49 PM Post #3,996 of 12,086

Use them until the bass "runs out" then buy yourself a new one.
wink.gif

Pretty much. Bass bloom, while supplies last.

Yeah, I actually become worry about the life-span of stock pads, apparently if Alpha Pads reduce mid-bass then I can't choose them to replace stock pads, they will make my pair's mid-bass no more than K550 if be reduced further.

Jan 13, 2016 at 7:49 PM Post #3,997 of 12,086

That's also my experience. The higher, blooming part of bass removed but the lower, rumbling part retains. As a result mids may also appear more forward. Before, the mids and mid-bass and sub-bass are somewhat like... they are 'one', bass directly took the hand of lower mids together into a booming dance hall. While now mid-bass definitely has retired to become the back dancer leaving mids solo, with sub-bass and highs are the band.

I'm guessing it's a change similar to that of Alpha Pads makes, in short I would just describe the change like the way the owner of Alpha Pads did.

Yea I'm hoping for that as well, I really want the sound stage to open up a little more

I'm hoping swapping to my Balanced Amps is going to help with that, but the mids on the TH x00 are rather forwad... It's different kinda nice 

Jan 13, 2016 at 7:51 PM Post #3,998 of 12,086

Yeah, I actually become worry about the life-span of stock pads, apparently if Alpha Pads reduce mid-bass then I can't choose them to replace stock pads, they will make my pair's mid-bass no more than K550 if be reduced further.

What, no way man, having a nice THICK sub bass to back it will give the mid bass some nice Umph well in "natural" instruments. Now for Synth instruments, It's hard to say, but Honestly the "attack" of the TH X00 is pretty nice, even in the mid bass

Not sure why your experincing a loss of it, could be seal. Might be that the Stock pads aren't sealing well enough 

Jan 13, 2016 at 8:50 PM Post #3,999 of 12,086

Agree with you. However I found that even after improvements with break-in that the upper bass was a little prominent for my taste and the sub bass just a little light. I began experimenting with parametric EQ and have arrived at a starting EQ that improves the overall listening experimence IMO. When somebody does on-head measurements that I can compare with the Harman target curve I will probably refine the EQ settings. In case anybody wants to experiment, and share, these are my current Jriver MC21 parametric EQ settings for the X00.

20Hz  +2.5dB Q=1.5
130Hz   -2.0dB Q=1.3
600Hz   +2.0dB Q=0.8

I have also been trying a shelf filter for a small lift above 4kHz but am not through with that yet.

Jan 13, 2016 at 10:44 PM Post #4,000 of 12,086
Hi all,

Another noob question, guys. I got some Alpha pads, but I'm not sure how to install them. Do they go over the plastic ring that the stock pads were attached to and then attach to the body of the headphones the same way? They look more elliptical compared to the roundish stock pads. Just want to do this right so I don't damage anything.

Jan 13, 2016 at 10:54 PM Post #4,001 of 12,086
  Hi all,

Another noob question, guys. I got some Alpha pads, but I'm not sure how to install them. Do they go over the plastic ring that the stock pads were attached to and then attach to the body of the headphones the same way? They look more elliptical compared to the roundish stock pads. Just want to do this right so I don't damage anything.

BAM, Mark used to have this on his WebSite, not sure why he took it down 

Jan 14, 2016 at 12:14 AM Post #4,002 of 12,086
Originally Posted by CRUZMISL /img/forum/go_quote.gif

"No tools, just my hairy man hands. I had to flex the ring and be very rough with the pads, everything took the punishment fine."

Thank you very much for the guidance; you are correct that the HM5 pads have high tolerance.  After a few "violent" stretching sideways exercises, both pairs fit the ring just fine as you stated. For my "normal" size ears, the HM5 pads are much comfortable than the stock ones. 

Jan 14, 2016 at 12:51 AM Post #4,003 of 12,086
Maybe I did my install wrong for the Alpha pads.. but it was super easy folding the lip inside out and then working it back over the plastic ring. I tried for 15 minutes trying to force it the other way without much luck.

Jan 14, 2016 at 1:09 AM Post #4,005 of 12,086
The elliptical shape of the Alpha pads takes a little bit of muscle to stretch them around the plastic ring. Also don't be too afraid to bend the ring inwards to get the pads to stretch around. I was worried the ring would break when I bent it but it didn't.

Ideally it would be nice to have another identical plastic mounting ring for the TH-X00. That way it would be very easy to do a comparison with the stock pads. Just twist to unlock the mounting ring and swap pads. Is there somewhere I can order this mounting ring?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back