Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Jan 13, 2016 at 12:32 AM Post #3,962 of 12,086
Jan 13, 2016 at 2:43 PM Post #3,964 of 12,086
Got them last Monday after being held at customs for almost 1(!) month... cost me 100,- in addition to the delay.

Very beautiful cups, pads are fortunately deep enough for my ears. Treble seems a bit tamed vs. the TH900, but bass is still too much to my taste. The bass level of the Master-1 is all I can take for longer listening.

I would have loved to see the headband improved (its padding could be a bit better in my opinion) and the mount points of the gimbals are still edgy, just like with the TH600/TH900, not rounded like on the D7k.

The 3,5mm -> 6,3mm adapter is worthless unfortunately. While I appreciate the attention to that detail, a version with a short cable is a must to me, otherwise I fear breaking the socket -- its sticking out far too much.

Summary: best value of the current Fostex offerings to me given its beautiful wood cups, but tuning is simply not to my liking. I'm sure others will love it for its forceful bass paired with a smooth midrange and enough treble to not be called dark, but to me it will serve more as showpiece.

Jan 13, 2016 at 2:52 PM Post #3,965 of 12,086
Burn in and I bet you'll like the sound. Give it 150hrs but 72hrs should tighten the bass and bring out the highs.

Burn in with LOUD electronic music. (Dont wear headphones)
Very beautiful cups, pads are fortunately deep enough for my ears. Treble seems a bit tamed vs. the TH900, but bass is still too much to my taste. The bass level of the Master-1 is all I can take for longer listening.

Jan 13, 2016 at 3:05 PM Post #3,966 of 12,086
Burn in and I bet you'll like the sound. Give it 150hrs but 72hrs should tighten the bass and bring out the highs.

Sorry, not a believer in burn-in except brain-burn-in -- and that had enough time to happen, I own a TH900 for quite some time. Actually its overbearing bass became more and more visible over time, it simply stresses me.
Yes, the TH900 does bass impressively good (astoundingly clean given the volume), but its just too much. Same with the TH-X00... Knowing that problem I even paired it with the DAC2, which by itself is a touch lean (when compared to e.g. the Violectric V281).

I think I've simply had my share of earth-shattering bass (I do PA rental as a side business :wink: and now value precision more than volume (even if its far from muddy, bass on the Fostexes is not bad or one-note).

Jan 13, 2016 at 3:10 PM Post #3,967 of 12,086
Show of hands to everyone but how many people experienced bass tightening and treble sparkling after some time on their THX00?

--------------
You should let the thx00 make a believer out of you.
Sorry, not a believer in burn-in except brain-burn-in -- and that had enough time to happen, I own a TH900 for quite some time. Actually its overbearing bass became more and more visible over time, it simply stresses me.

Jan 13, 2016 at 3:21 PM Post #3,968 of 12,086
Ah, I won't go through this discussion just another time :wink:
Plus as I said I own a TH900 for more than 2 years... its still bugging me with too much bass every time I try it on, so the TH-X00 will not change either. Its fun for some minutes, but I listen quite a lot during work and neither the TH900 nor the TH600 or the TH-X00 does that for me.

That should not spoil anyones else enjoyment of these... they are beautiful and many love their bass massive and clean. To me they are just beautiful.

Jan 13, 2016 at 3:24 PM Post #3,969 of 12,086
Show of hands to everyone but how many people experienced bass tightening and treble sparkling after some time on their THX00?
You should let the thx00 make a believer out of you.  

Getting used to the sound is definitely a real thing.  Headphone burn-in might well be a real thing, too, but I can't say if that's what I experienced.  I've been listening and enjoying, but not comparing same songs played when they were new.  
So my show of hands is just a sideways palm-wiggle.

Jan 13, 2016 at 3:35 PM Post #3,970 of 12,086
  Getting used to the sound is definitely a real thing.

Very much so. Within limits one can get used to a headphone if listening to that one exclusively for some time. But to make this happen for me it has to pull me in somehow, pique my interest. The TH-X00 is just too much like the TH900, where I've already tried (and ultimately failed) to get acquainted to its sound signature. At that time the T1 won, now its the Master-1 and the HD800S.
The TH-X00 is still nice enough to keep it and I'll be listening from time to time. But it won't become one of my headphones for daily use. But again: that should not put off anybody, its not bad in any way, just not fitting properly so to say.

Jan 13, 2016 at 3:51 PM Post #3,971 of 12,086
Well @Soundsgoodtome got a little agitated because... burn-in IS real on TH-X00.
I am a burn-in disbeliever as well (yes I still 'am' because I suppose a successful product shouldn't rely on insecure client-side procedure. Actually I see TH-X00 as not a success since it can sounded really bad out of box and scares people away).
I can tell I was shocked when I found it sounded so bloated and unbalance out of box.
I can also tell I was shocked again when I found all the bloated mid-bass COMPLETELY gone after burn-in.
It was like a subwoofer being turned off so unless I was in fact getting deaf it couldn't be my brain.
Frankly I now call my pair bass-lite if the song doesn't contain good sub-bass.
And I didn't mention I am a neutralhead and my previous main phone is the infamous K550.

Of course I am not convincing you, I myself had not been perceived real burn-in on all my previous phones. I can't say every pair of TH-X00 all has this chance. Just feeling a bit of... call of duty to post
wink.gif

Jan 13, 2016 at 4:16 PM Post #3,972 of 12,086
You're lying :)

Your experience is just like mine. At $399 I don't expect a company to burn in phones. For marketing purpoSes I'd do just the opposite to get people buzzing about said product lol

Well @Soundsgoodtome
 got a little agitated because... burn-in IS real on TH-X00.
I am a burn-in disbeliever as well (yes I still 'am' because I suppose a successful product shouldn't rely on insecure client-side procedure. Actually I see TH-X00 as not a success since it can sounded really bad out of box and scares people away).
I can tell I was shocked when I found it sounded so bloated and unbalance out of box.
I can also tell I was shocked again when I found all the bloated mid-bass COMPLETELY gone after burn-in.
It was like a subwoofer being turned off so unless I was in fact getting deaf it couldn't be my brain.
Frankly I now call my pair bass-lite if the song doesn't contain good sub-bass.
And I didn't mention I am a neutralhead and my previous main phone is the infamous K550.

Of course I am not convincing you, I myself had not been perceived real burn-in on all my previous phones. I can't say every pair of TH-X00 all has this chance. Just feeling a bit of... call of duty to post:wink:  

Jan 13, 2016 at 4:56 PM Post #3,973 of 12,086

the level of the bass doesn't change with burn-in though.  And the level seems to be what he has a problem with.  I'd just let this one go as a "different strokes for different folks" thing.

Jan 13, 2016 at 5:06 PM Post #3,975 of 12,086
  I brought these with me on the plane for a day trip to Dallas yesterday, with the Hugo and AK240.  I would have liked another hour or two of flight time!

wow, they were enough isolation for you on a flight?  About the only thing that works for me on a flight are IEMs or ANC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back