Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Jan 12, 2016 at 12:55 AM Post #3,931 of 12,086
  Anyone have a suggestion for a portable (i.e. something you could fit comfortably in a bag) hard case for these? I checked Amazon for a bit and what I saw was too small to fit 'em.

Go to page 249 of this thread.

Jan 12, 2016 at 1:25 AM Post #3,932 of 12,086
  Stand arrived. Love how the Grain matches and it truly is a one of a kind!! 
cool.gif

@cartergaz Where did you get this stand, if I may ask?

Jan 12, 2016 at 2:24 AM Post #3,934 of 12,086
  Listening to Blackstar in memory of the Man, The Legend, David Bowie.

If anyone hasn't listened to the album yet, listen to the third track Lazarus on the Fostex TH-X00. 

HOLY ZIGGYSTARDUST. 

There's drums and a bass guitar playing at the beginning and it sounds ******* amazing.

same here.

check the basslines on the title track with da fostex.

and the saxophone mids sounding so liquid.

holy...

Jan 12, 2016 at 3:43 PM Post #3,936 of 12,086
Got impatient waiting for the pads from china, so ordered a pair of HM5 pads. These are so much more comfortable to me (must have bigger ears than i thought!).
They also sound so much better to me than the stock pads. The bass seems tighter and the mids brought forward slightly as well. Perhaps a slight adverse change to the highs, but not horrible.

Overall a significant improvement.

Just put Billie Jean on to see how it sounded. Yeah! Ended up listening to the whole of the Thriller album and i wouldn't really say I'm a MJ fan, but wow. Best i've ever heard it.

Was on the fence with the TH-X00 until now, but with the HM5 pads I've leaped over the fence and done a dance on the other side!

Jan 12, 2016 at 3:56 PM Post #3,938 of 12,086
Yes, pleather flat (i.e. not the angled) pads.

Jan 12, 2016 at 3:57 PM Post #3,939 of 12,086
I have been listening to the hm5 pleathers for a while now. Last night I put the stock back on and was surprised how much subbass was neutered with the branwavz pads. They will not be going back on....

Jan 12, 2016 at 4:27 PM Post #3,941 of 12,086
Hello, Head-fi'ers, I got my Fostex TH-X00 pair a week ago. First impresions was quiet good. Every day of using my cans sounding better and better by slight. 3 days ago, I tryed JLab audio burn in 10minutes (Pink noise/pause, white noise/pause brown noise/pause and etc..) file. I made playlist with 30 files and go to work, when I back home, I found still playing noises(Left 12hours). I put my headphones and notice slight difference. I listen more time and headphones start changing drastically. 1 hour and I notice day and night difference. Throught my Samsung Galaxy S5 it sounded amazing. I am not audiophile take this with grain of salt. Mids/Vocals was Full, Rich, very natural, instruments seperation great, Bass very tight, deep, low. Everything was very clean and natural...Wow, wow. But.. next day it won't sound as good as previous day. It's like sound quality rolling back drastically. I want to see opininions about this phenomenon.
you may want to check the 6.5 to 3.5 adapter. The one provided by MD is terrible and slips out without notice.

Jan 12, 2016 at 6:03 PM Post #3,942 of 12,086
Wish me luck, I just attached a modmic to my TH-X00's. Hopefully it will not ruin the clear-coat when I remove the clasp at some point. According to Will from Massdrop, there should be no issue, but I am not so sure about that. I did make 1 boneheaded move, I mounted the mic on my right earcup instead of my left. I know that it doesn't matter as the mic can be placed on either side but I am so used to my mic being on my left earcup (every headset ever has mic on left earcup) that my OCD is kicking in and I want to buy another clasp and change it to the other side LOL.

Jan 12, 2016 at 6:06 PM Post #3,943 of 12,086
  Wish me luck, I just attached a modmic to my TH-X00's. Hopefully it will not ruin the clear-coat when I remove the clasp at some point. According to Will from Massdrop, there should be no issue, but I am not so sure about that. I did make 1 boneheaded move, I mounted the mic on my right earcup instead of my left. I know that it doesn't matter as the mic can be placed on either side but I am so used to my mic being on my left earcup (every headset ever has mic on left earcup) that my OCD is kicking in and I want to buy another clasp and change it to the other side LOL.

You sir are the bravest soul I know....

In all seriousness hope this works out for you!

Jan 12, 2016 at 6:07 PM Post #3,944 of 12,086

For future reference or people who are thinking of modding in the future, a screen protector or maybe even painters tape (although ugly vs clear protector) under the mic adhesive would leave 0 doubt if the finish will be effected by mod mics. If you don't care about looks then a good painters tape (3M) should be good to protect the finish.

Jan 12, 2016 at 6:16 PM Post #3,945 of 12,086
The 3m adhesive is suppose to be paint friendly and therefore should be clearcoat friendly. I am more concerned about the fact that I installed it on my right earcup and not my left one LOL.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back