Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Jan 13, 2016 at 5:14 PM Post #3,976 of 12,086

wow, they were enough isolation for you on a flight?  About the only thing that works for me on a flight are IEMs or ANC.

Awesome experience.  Cranberries at 35,000 feet.  I have custom IEMs but the sound is nowhere near as grand as the Fostex.  The only downside?  Those pretty wood cups are going to get dinged in travel.  

Jan 13, 2016 at 5:15 PM Post #3,977 of 12,086

Awesome experience.  Cranberries at 35,000 feet.  I have custom IEMs but the sound is nowhere near as grand as the Fostex.  The only downside?  Those pretty wood cups are going to get dinged in travel.  

I'm fairly certain I will be rather pissed the first time I scratch/scuff these.  They've only left the house for one trip to work because I wanted to get some time in and let a couple of co-workers check them out.

Jan 13, 2016 at 5:23 PM Post #3,978 of 12,086
  I'm fairly certain I will be rather pissed the first time I scratch/scuff these.  They've only left the house for one trip to work because I wanted to get some time in and let a couple of co-workers check them out.

yes.  Also the finish on these isn't very durable.  Even minor dings will result in a little white spot where the finish separates from the wood underneath.  It's the least durable finish of any headphone I've ever owned.

Jan 13, 2016 at 6:03 PM Post #3,979 of 12,086
Wow cool. How would you get it recabled? They aren't detatchable.

@PETEREK

Fellow member HiGHFLYiN9 offers a recabling service:

http://www.zynsonix.com/

@PETEREK

I like him because his work is really great, an his prices are really well reasonable! Why he even has his own thread :D 

the level of the bass doesn't change with burn-in though.  And the level seems to be what he has a problem with.  I'd just let this one go as a "different strokes for different folks" thing.

indeed, I like the bass. Sadly after the Lawton Pads my LA D5k isn't as fun as it used to be, while it's more transparent imo it's not quite as "fun" an I'm ok with that! My Project starlight adds some nice UMPH back to it! An my NFb10ES2 lets me enjoy all of the LA D5ks transparency when I want need it :D 

an on the other hand, my TH X00 brings the FAAWWWN when I want it! 

Jan 13, 2016 at 6:16 PM Post #3,980 of 12,086

the level of the bass doesn't change with burn-in though. 

Quite the opposite of what I've experience but YMMV. Here's my A/B when my THX00 were still a few days young to the Denon D5K. I have a chance to do the same A/B on the 30th here I believe (to the exact same D5K), I should have a good impression if the bass has tightened to the D5K sound, which if memory serves me right it has become quite the D5K sounding phone now. Tight bass, treble sparkle, slight mid recess, faster decay + more clarity.

Jan 13, 2016 at 6:16 PM Post #3,981 of 12,086
@PETEREK

@PETEREK

I like him because his work is really great, an his prices are really well reasonable! Why he even has his own thread :D 

+1

Here is his website for contact

https://www.etsy.com/shop/TheAudMod

Jan 13, 2016 at 6:21 PM Post #3,982 of 12,086
+1

Here is his website for contact

https://www.etsy.com/shop/TheAudMod

Thanks I always forget his website, I've been working with him from right before he started his etsy 

Jan 13, 2016 at 6:37 PM Post #3,985 of 12,086
Quite the opposite of what I've experience but YMMV. Here's my A/B when my THX00 were still a few days young to the Denon D5K. I have a chance to do the same A/B on the 30th here I believe (to the exact same D5K), I should have a good impression if the bass has tightened to the D5K sound, which if memory serves me right it has become quite the D5K sounding phone now. Tight bass, treble sparkle, slight mid recess, faster decay + more clarity.

You're saying it has less bass after burn in? Not better bass, but actually less bass?

Jan 13, 2016 at 7:05 PM Post #3,987 of 12,086
Less bass bloat as well as less mid-bass, so yes less bass. Depending on who you ask that's a good thing or not.

So you saying I need to NOT burn mine in and just use them sparingly to keep from doing so?

:D

Jan 13, 2016 at 7:08 PM Post #3,988 of 12,086
So you saying I need to NOT burn mine in and just use them sparingly to keep from doing so?

:D

Use them until the bass "runs out" then buy yourself a new one. :wink:

Jan 13, 2016 at 7:09 PM Post #3,989 of 12,086
You're saying it has less bass after burn in? Not better bass, but actually less bass?

Less bass bloat as well as less mid-bass, so yes less bass. Depending on who you ask that's a good thing or not.

biggrin.gif

Attack an decay are different, while some headphones lose some of their decay over time, it's not often that a headphone will... have less attack over time 

Though some people like that extra touch of decay an bloom, I like it some times with some generes, an not so much with others 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back