Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Dec 21, 2015 at 12:35 PM Post #3,242 of 12,086
  Sounds like a marketing gimmick to keep parts sold directly by the manufacturer.  plus it may be copy written. So if someone wants to make accessories, then they would have to go through the manufacturer 

yea, it's a money thing I'd imagine, a propritary connector to reduce the chances of smaller cable guys making a profit on their product, really not my style :/ oh well I'm sure said cable guys will be more than happy to mod out the orignal variant 

Dec 21, 2015 at 1:02 PM Post #3,243 of 12,086
I'd be surprised if the driver isn't retuned in some fashion or another. It seems pretty obvious to me that people have been clamoring for a TH900 with better mids and smoother treble (basically, what some people were hoping the THX00 would be). Definitely an opportunity here for Fostex to make a big mark on the totl headphone market if they execute.

Edit: Side note, those detachable cable connectors are hideous.

I agree... Like Beyer T1 V2 and Sennheiser HD800S, they will probably fix some problems with the headphone, mainly some peaks in highs. It might be only a 5% difference, but it would make me buy TH900 again. I loved TH900, it is an amazing headphone, if only it didn't have those peaks in highs...

Dec 21, 2015 at 1:02 PM Post #3,244 of 12,086
Dec 21, 2015 at 1:40 PM Post #3,246 of 12,086
How do they compare to D2000s?

I prefer th-x00 to the D2000 overall. Bass a bit less "billowy", treble less bothersome.

Edit: FYI, I sold my D2000 a few days before receiving the TH-X00, so it was not a live direct comparison. Just a lot of listening to each on the same equipment. And there is fallible memory involved.

Dec 21, 2015 at 1:44 PM Post #3,247 of 12,086
  How do they compare to D2000s?

I can barely tell the difference doing an A/B with my TH-X00 vs. D2000 (D7000 cups / cable) if they are both using the same pads. 

Also, have anybody opened the cups to see if there is any dampening yet on the TH-X00?  

Dec 21, 2015 at 1:49 PM Post #3,248 of 12,086
I can barely tell the difference doing an A/B with my TH-X00 vs. D2000 (D7000 cups / cable) if they are both using the same pads. 

Also, have anybody opened the cups to see if there is any dampening yet on the TH-X00?  

Check my review for pictures (no dampening is inside).

Dec 21, 2015 at 3:37 PM Post #3,249 of 12,086
I'm really enjoying them. Last night I put on the new Mammothwing, and the bass was spine-tingling: https://mammothwing.bandcamp.com/releases

Dec 21, 2015 at 3:58 PM Post #3,250 of 12,086

I am waiting to come back from work trip abroad to find the THX at home.
I definitively do not agree that TH-600 is same as Denon adh2000. There is major improvement in TH 600 in sound clarity  and less distortion. After applying Lawton damping materials to the back of the driver and the metal cups, these phones give a very balanced sound, and with the damping material in front of the driver, also with very balanced highs. The drivers for me seem a quit a big step up in quality to the old Denon line (which of course is the original incarnation of the Fostex design). The TH-900 is another improvement in detail, "realness" and staging, on the TH600, not needing any cup treatment as far as I am concerned. I also applied the in front of driver damping (which is very easily done when taking off the pads) and although it works it is also remarkably subtle in effect. I am really looking forward to hear the THX  and the way it lives up to the other 2 TH's.
I also have a much older ADH5000 modded, with very good mids, but it is showing its use a bit (lost total coherance between left and right, which could be the pads worn......?) and a much newer second hand ADH 7000 which I also modded a bit (with damping on the back of the driver) which I like very much too, but which I find to have too little mid high frequency response, which makes  recordings sound a bit less open, also compared to my 5000) The TH-600, after applying Lawton damping ,really benefitted, lowering the slight mid bass hump it had without the mod, and evening the mids, tightening the sub bass even more, and it is now my best and most neutral sounding TH. The 900 still is the most involving to listen too. But to really judge a recording on.....?
I also have a really old, but in good shape Sony CD3000, with new (not so nice) pads, as the old ones where giving off liquid black..., and it is still a very good sound too, with less sub bass, but with a lot of resolution too, for a closed design.

Dec 21, 2015 at 6:53 PM Post #3,252 of 12,086
I know it's only just been outted on Massdrop and delivered recently, but since this is Head-Fi, has anyone disconnected the fixed cables and rebalanced them yet? :)

Dec 21, 2015 at 6:54 PM Post #3,254 of 12,086
I know it's only just been outted on Massdrop and delivered recently, but since this is Head-Fi, has anyone disconnected the fixed cables and rebalanced them yet? :)

Yes it's been done. You'll have to go back on this thread but it's definitely been done.

Dec 21, 2015 at 7:59 PM Post #3,255 of 12,086

Friend of mine had his delivered directly to Peterek to be modded into mini-XLR terminations so he can use his own cables on them. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back