Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Dec 17, 2015 at 4:38 PM Post #3,002 of 12,086
I am currently not happy with Massdrops customer service. I email them about an issue with my TH-X00's. They respond to me last night, and emailed me Return Label with the question of if want another one shipped or just a refund. I reply by saying I want another one shipped and asked how long I have to return the one I have as I'd like to make sure I get a product that's better and not worse then what I already have. The support responds within minutes again and says, please ship the return as soon as possible and she should be able to ship a new one by this weekend and once again asks me if I want a new one. I again respond that of course I want a new unit as that is why I put in for an RMA in the first place.

The email communication stopped, I am not sure why I was asked multiple times if I want a new one. It has now been 24 hours and no response to that last email after a great customer experience with quick communication it goes cold, no communication. I am not sure if she is processing the new one, if it will actually ship by this weekend anymore or if she somehow didn't receive my emails. This is unlikely as we were emailing back and forth in rapid succession and then nothing. This is frustrating!! Finish with your customer that you are rapidly communicating with and asking the same question over and over to instead of just basically ignoring them for 24 hours and counting.

Dec 17, 2015 at 4:51 PM Post #3,003 of 12,086
Are you asking them if you can have both headphones at the same time to compare? I am unaware of any companies that will allow that. I think you just need to return your headphones and then wait for your new pair. What else can they say? Seems clear.

Dec 17, 2015 at 4:55 PM Post #3,004 of 12,086
Are you asking them if you can have both headphones at the same time to compare? I am unaware of any companies that will allow that. I think you just need to return your headphones and then wait for your new pair. What else can they say? Seems clear.

They ship the new pair immediately and send a label for return, its common practice. If I don't return the other headphone in a certain time, my account gets charged for the new one.  

Dec 17, 2015 at 4:59 PM Post #3,005 of 12,086
  I am currently not happy with Massdrops customer service. I email them about an issue with my TH-X00's. They respond to me last night, and emailed me Return Label with the question of if want another one shipped or just a refund. I reply by saying I want another one shipped and asked how long I have to return the one I have as I'd like to make sure I get a product that's better and not worse then what I already have. The support responds within minutes again and says, please ship the return as soon as possible and she should be able to ship a new one by this weekend and once again asks me if I want a new one. I again respond that of course I want a new unit as that is why I put in for an RMA in the first place.

The email communication stopped, I am not sure why I was asked multiple times if I want a new one. It has now been 24 hours and no response to that last email after a great customer experience with quick communication it goes cold, no communication. I am not sure if she is processing the new one, if it will actually ship by this weekend anymore or if she somehow didn't receive my emails. This is unlikely as we were emailing back and forth in rapid succession and then nothing. This is frustrating!! Finish with your customer that you are rapidly communicating with and asking the same question over and over to instead of just basically ignoring them for 24 hours and counting.

I would honestly consider sending Will a PM here if they don't respond.

Dec 17, 2015 at 5:37 PM Post #3,006 of 12,086
Just received mine today.. for those who were asking, Canadian duties was $36.00 CAD on these.

Dec 17, 2015 at 6:14 PM Post #3,010 of 12,086
Lucky for us in Australia, personal imports are tax free under $1,000 AUD. Even with the plummiting AUD it's still useful for purchases like this.

Dec 17, 2015 at 6:32 PM Post #3,011 of 12,086
To hear clear bass on these I've found that some jazz records recorded on the Contemporary label and also RCA Victor sound very good. Sonny Rollins "The Bridge" has really good synergy with these headphones.

Dec 17, 2015 at 6:33 PM Post #3,012 of 12,086
  Question:

Here's a question for all the overseas shipping recipients who have been griping about their less-than-ideal conditions of shipping...  If you had American friends or associates who could take delivery of your product here in the US, and then ship it to you as a "gift" for purposes of "Customs clearance,"  would that reduce some of the customs/VAT (like) charges and taxes you would ordinarily have to pay otherwise?  Of course, that might also mean understating the nominal value of the product, on customs declaration forms, but I am wondering whether this might be worth it?

Not that I am volunteering to provide this type of service for anyone here.  I just sent a couple of mid-fi Sennheiser headphones and one Fiio E10k DAC/Amp to a friend in Australia as a real "gift" package, and I really only needed to pay the nominal USPS international 1st class parcel post rate, and no additional charges or taxes...  I also do not expect my friend to pay any duties or taxes at the receiving end, because I declared all items in the package as "gifts", and chose to understate their dollar values.

In Australia we don't have to pay any tax if the item is declared at less than $1000. Free to import cheaper items :)

Dec 17, 2015 at 6:52 PM Post #3,015 of 12,086
I'll happily push you over the edge! 

I love my Hifiman HE 4, loved my DT 880 before it, an was never a fan of the Mad Dog

That said, give your nice collection of Planars I think you'd enjoy the TH X00, even though technically my HE 4 is the cleanest headphone I have, do prefer closed  back headphones for Metal an Electronic Dance Music, For that power taut double bass lines, an the Th X00 does just that, offers a nice sound stage with good spatial cues an a nice sense of air between each instrument. 

Still though, if I were to compare the HE 4 directly to my TH X00, listening to Metallica's Eye of the Beholder, what I like about the TH X00 is the BASS, it kicks an it's taut an clean! Ulrich does an amazing job in this track, an REALLY drives this track forward, with the HE 4 I have a gorgeous sense of tactility from the guitars an a good driving force from Ulrich an Cliffs bass lines, how ever swapping over to the TH X00, I can take my focus away from the Guitars an really hone in on the rythm guys, Ulrich an Cliff all the while still having very clean mids, so I trade that mid based tactility for more force in the low end, which I really like... an frankly I find it hard to pick an choose which sound sig I like best

Another thing to, is the TH X00 is VERY marginally forgiving of poorer masterings, a lot of Metal Bands don't quite have the splendor of Metallica's An Justice for All Album, which honestly... just sounds amazing on my HE 4. So for those albums that aren't the BEST of the best, an I'm talking albums that lack crystal clear HEAVY ROUGH guitar riffs, driving bass lines an a nice shimmering high hat [which sadly is a lot of albums] the TH X00 does a nice job at giving me a clear picture of that music with enough bass to help me forget the... lack of refinement. Now with poorly recorded music or BAD encodes the TH X00 isn't going to forgive, but for a poor master/Mix the Th X00 is a little more flexible than my HE 4 

Given your collection, I think you'd appreciate them! 

I actually find that unlike most stuff I have, the TH-X00 shows low quality recordings and files to a painful degree. As in, "wow this version of the song is crappier than I bought..."

Why do Aussie get USPS? DHL is so slow.

Cuz it is absolutely painful to ship to Australia from the US.

Received them today in Germany. Customs duties were collected on delivery by DHL. My first experience with Massdrop is very smooth so far. No time to try them though as I just received Beyer DT-1700 Pro too. As Beyers arrived first I start with them.

Very gentlemanly of you. :smile:

This thread really should just be called the TH-X00 'shipping' review...
:rolleyes:

Jude make it happen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back