Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Dec 13, 2015 at 2:28 PM Post #2,641 of 12,086

Here's to the people in Europe getting their cans...
beerchug.gif

biggrin.gif

beerchug.gif
 I am really excited about getting these cans. I hope that it won't take forever in customs and that I will get them in next week. Will post my impressions when I get them 
L3000.gif

Dec 13, 2015 at 2:35 PM Post #2,642 of 12,086
I just got an update from Canada Post.

The package is now in MISSISSAUGA and the expected delivery date is 2015/12/15.

Where abouts are you pfillion? I got a delivery date of the 10th... Today hahah. Guessing it will take another week to hit Alberta

Dec 13, 2015 at 2:44 PM Post #2,644 of 12,086
  Cables absolutely make improvements. of course there is snake oil crap out there, and there are people who will explain technical / science reasons why or why not; but from my experience A/B testing between quality cables vs stock its nearly unanimous that there is a difference. I say don't knock it till you try it. 

Note: the A/B testing people include myself, and with others some audiophiles, musicians, sound engineers, as well as normal people, several different mechanical engineers / electrical engineers (whom had a lot of doubt till they listened.). I'd think the tests were well conducted, i do have a science background after all.

On the otherhand, if you can't hear a difference then good for you. That just means you get to enjoy music without having to burn more money to try and hear every color / texture / detail.

Ok so going away from the cable talk for a bit (because thats a never ending rabbit hole whenever people discuss it, ive said my piece =P). These cans are friggin amazing. I've been too busy listening and am going to resume listening (burned in for about 24 hours now. They've REALLY opened up.) The only thing holding these things back is the sound leakage. Anyone have any ideas on how we would mod these to seal it without changing the sound? (I'd love to use these during work but i fear the leakage may annoy others)

You know... I was a skeptic on headphone cables, but Kimber Kable had a little exhibit in a recent Head-Fi meet, where they had one Sony Z7 with stock cables, and another Z7 with Kimber Kables. Since they had two of the same headphones, I could switch them off at the same volume levels. 

I admit it wasn't a blind test, but I heard a difference, and it definitely made me a believer. At least in Kimber Kables. 

Honestly, what I've found is with my Balanced Dac/Amp there is a small improvement in decay, speed an seperation. 9/10 of every headphone I own needs to be reterminated to a 4pin XLR, so while I'm doing that I just go ahead an pay an extra $60 to get them recabled. Though half of my headphones are atm modular, meaning I can swap cables in an out. At some point I'll be doing a full recable on my HE 4 so I can then swap out the different cables an see what the differances are 

But for me a recable is around $100, so I don't mind the extra cost 

Here's to the people in Europe getting their cans...
beerchug.gif

Right right!

Dec 13, 2015 at 2:50 PM Post #2,646 of 12,086
Okay, so the best amp for these I've heard is with my Zodiac Platinum, but that's rather impractical. :xf_eek: Second place is the Fostex HP-P1. Bass isn't as well controlled and overall it's a warmer signature, but it produces a smooth, velvety sound that I could listen to for hours and hours. I'm thinking the Fostex TH line is tuned using this DAC/amp as a reference, at least in part, because it's just such a complementary pairing. Yeah, I'm aware of the low damping factor, but sometimes the whole is greater than the sum of its parts (aka. "synergy").

Third place (tie) is a surprise, the FiiO E18. Seriously, it does an amazing job of driving these and is the value winner, hands down. Overall it's neutral, neither too cold or warm, and even though bass isn't nearly as tight as with the Zodiac, and it's not as detailed overall (no surprises there), it's still a very musical, pleasing experience, for 1/35th the price. Right in with the E18 is the Pico Slim, which to my ears is nearly the same. It's slightly more revealing with a touch more bass control but it's very hard to tell unless you're doing A>B switching on specific passages. As far as value, I don't believe the small differences are worth choosing the Pico Slim over the E18, at least not with the TH-X00s.

The O2? It's cold, harsh in the upper treble, and even though it does a good job of diaphragm control, the bass is lacking in texture and quality. I'd avoid that pairing.

PS. I don't have my Grace m9XX yet, might be arriving tomorrow, and the above ranking could change, we'll see.

Dec 13, 2015 at 2:51 PM Post #2,648 of 12,086
I thought I should start a proper "Owners Impressions" thread that would be devoted more strictly to "impressions", since this present thread includes too much information about shipping, tracking, and related expectations and disappointments etc etc.  I am hoping and praying that any outstanding shipping-related issues would be successfully resolved sooner, rather than later to the satisfaction of all buyers, of course.

In the meantime,here's the new Massdrop/Fostex THX00 owners impressions thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/791071/massdrop-fostex-th-x00-owners-impressions

Dec 13, 2015 at 2:58 PM Post #2,649 of 12,086
I thought I should start a proper "Owners Impressions" thread that would be devoted more strictly to "impressions", since this present thread includes too much information about shipping, tracking, and related expectations and disappointments etc etc.  I am hoping and praying that any outstanding shipping-related issues would be successfully resolved sooner, rather than later to the satisfaction of all buyers, of course.

In the meantime,here's the new Massdrop/Fostex THX00 owners impressions thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/791071/massdrop-fostex-th-x00-owners-impressions

I can dig it. +1

Dec 13, 2015 at 3:11 PM Post #2,650 of 12,086
@plaudio yes the vero cables do improve the sound, I would say these are not the snake oil type of cables. So I mentioned this in anothe thread. Right out the box (no burn in both the thx00 or the vero full/bass/adapt cables) I ab tested with an engineer in doubt and he was shocked that it was indeed better with the vero.

To my ears the vero improves the overall details, tightens up the bass, reveals a little more texture to the mids, and opens up the soundstage.

Now listening to it (36 hrs of burn in roughly for both) theres even more improvement. Personally i feel like the cables punch up the headphones into the Lcd xc territory with stock cables (though mids and general texture still isn't as good, but it's close). I think they're worth every penny, but YMMV

Now I might look into making these into audeze minixlr connects so I can use my full reference cable. not sure if it has enough space tho. Might also look into a way for sealing the cans to make it a try closed back headphone without changing the sound

Dec 13, 2015 at 3:14 PM Post #2,651 of 12,086
Sorry for adding shipping updates, i'm quite new to headfi and was treating it as a community rather than purely review and impressions thread. I'll stop posting such updates now.

Dec 13, 2015 at 3:26 PM Post #2,653 of 12,086
Sorry for adding shipping updates, i'm quite new to headfi and was treating it as a community rather than purely review and impressions thread. I'll stop posting such updates now.

Welcome to head-fi, and post whatever. We all love to communicate about this hobby :D. I am surprised, as I have yet to see any nice series number as 999 or 1999 ? Common guys...I need to see it

Dec 13, 2015 at 3:29 PM Post #2,654 of 12,086
Thanks, have to admit I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas, although that was a long time ago now!

Dec 13, 2015 at 3:42 PM Post #2,655 of 12,086
This is my biggest hp purchase yet. Until a couple of years ago I was focused on hifi, but a battle with cancer and 6 months of chemo made portable alot bigger part of my life and really helped me through hard times.

I splashed out on a colorfly c4 and Etymotic Er4, which i love and started my journey. I've since added Sony MDR-1A's as i wanted something more comfortable, couldn't resist a pair of B&W P5 when the original range was being cleared by Amazon at less than half price and in the summer added some 2nd hand AKG K702s to try open backs. All of these are flawed in there own ways and I'd love to be able to try some flagships, but they are beyond my budget. When I saw these on Massdrop i couldn't resist as is a great opportunity to get near flagship (i hope) but more affordable to me (i've spent more than i can really justify, so there is a bit of worry that it will disappoint)
Thanks again for the welcome. Hopefully over time i'll add more value to headfi than shipping updates.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back