Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Dec 12, 2015 at 2:02 AM Post #2,506 of 12,086
I am in total agreement with you. I went back and forth about buying them, and I figured the price/quality/performance was too good to pass up. I can count on one hand the number of headphones and IEMs that have put an immediate grin on my face at first listen, and these are one of them!

When I first put them on and turned on the music, I was really surprised at how much I immediately liked the sound. I'm no good at describing well but these phones are just right across the spectrum. Definitely fun and enjoyable headphones to have, and so far to my ears they seem very forgiving in terms of source (still kind of a noob, not sure if my terminology is right).

Not to mention they are just beautiful headphones. I have seen some comments around about the wood finish on cups not being perfect but mine are pristine. Glad I bit the bullet on these.

My only nag is the pretty terrible monoprice adapter, but that's an easy fix. Glad to know it wasn't just me who had issues with it.

woops, my reply ended up in your quote, it's time for me to shut up and enjoy the music
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 12, 2015 at 2:15 AM Post #2,507 of 12,086
Please do report back. I sold my beloved Pioneer VSX-1121 because I hated its surround processing for games. I then purchased the Soundblaster X7, which I like.

I miss the convenience of running everything via Hdmi to a high-quality avr, however. I hear Yamaha and Marantz are better for headphone listening than the other big names.

Well I've been listening through the 1/4 inch jack tonight on my Yamaha HTR-5840 receiver that I've had for 10 years now and it sounds absolutely phenomenal.  Really happy with the pairing.   This will be my go-to setup now.  Moved the room around so it's by my computer now but still hooked up to the speaker system.  Windows is showing it as a 192/24 bit DAC so I'm betting this thing has something really nice in it. 

It scales really well with +/- Bass using the receiver analog buttons and dials. It's also nice adjusting volume and bass/treble through the receiver with your hands instead of Windows. It's obviously not as technical or hz specific but it gives you some sort of weird satisfaction turning those knobs and clicking those buttons instead of using a mouse and software lol.  Also nice that its a universal EQ change instead of just foobar.  Then I can unplug the headphones and boom my speakers are rockin.  Don't have to change playback devices in settings switching between headphones and speakers.

Dec 12, 2015 at 4:47 AM Post #2,509 of 12,086
Really digging these cans the more head time I give them. They are pretty similar in sound to my (heavily) modded HE-400's.

Compared to them:
-they have a similarish soundstage
-a bit less air (prob due to how open the HE-400's are)
-bass on both are nice, to me the TH-X00's have more a rumbling bass while the HE-400's more 'thumping' if that makes sense
-vocals are more align with the instruments on the X00's while with the HE-400's they are more behind/encompassed giving a bit more of a distant sound. Vocals on my HE-400 also have a bit more raspiness while they are more softer/rounded on the X00's
- less sibilance
- A LOT more comfortable, comfort quite similar to my DT-880's

Overall, pretty happy with them :)

Running them through a NFB-15 -> Gustard H10 (full op-amp swap with Burson V5 op-amps).

Dec 12, 2015 at 4:52 AM Post #2,510 of 12,086
First impressions on the TH-X00... These are very, very, very different to all of the headphones I have owned. At first I was like crap... I might not like these.

Played a few songs.. hrmm.. ok, bass is is definitely there, very different. Mids are a bit recessed, ok, expected that. Treble... hrm, It's missing a bit of the "ring" and decay that I would come to expect from my usual range of headphones..
Few different songs later.. increasing volume on my Bifrost Uber + Modi stack...
Adele - Hello comes on.

HOLY ******

THIS IS VERY DIFFERENT, IN A VERY GOOD WAY.
While its character as a headphone isn't as full-range ( neutral and wide reproduction ) as I would have hoped, it definitely has a bit of the SE846 character. Maybe not as detailed.. the bass is pretty awesome, not as accurate as the SE846, but it's there, and noticeable. The voice of Adele is very well rendered, gives me goose bumps. In fact I think the voice of a dele in this particular song is better rendered vs the T90 on the HA-2. Reduces a lot of the harshness.

T90 on HA-2 was unbearable for Hello. The T90 on the schiit stack was borderline unbearable for Hello.

Update: Tried it on the HA-2. Definitely different sound signature on it. It's a tad more forward than the Schiit. As if you were sitting closer to your loudspeakers kind of. I can't comment on sound stage just yet, but I think these definitely sound closer to the SE846 on the HA-2.
On the Schiit they sound a bit more laid back, I guess less fatiguing in a way.

Dec 12, 2015 at 5:56 AM Post #2,511 of 12,086
I have the T70 and THX00 and they're polar opposites. It's beyond complimentary sets really, more like being in different universes. I believe we're experiencing the same thing.
HOLY ******

THIS IS VERY DIFFERENT, IN A VERY GOOD WAY.
While its character as a headphone isn't as full-range ( neutral and wide reproduction ) as I would have hoped, it definitely has a bit of the SE846 character. Maybe not as detailed.. the bass is pretty awesome, not as accurate as the SE846, but it's there, and noticeable. The voice of Adele is very well rendered, gives me goose bumps. In fact I think the voice of a dele in this particular song is better rendered vs the T90 on the HA-2. Reduces a lot of the harshness.

T90 on HA-2 was unbearable for Hello. The T90 on the schiit stack was borderline unbearable for Hello.

Update: Tried it on the HA-2. Definitely different sound signature on it. It's a tad more forward than the Schiit. As if you were sitting closer to your loudspeakers kind of. I can't comment on sound stage just yet, but I think these definitely sound closer to the SE846 on the HA-2.
On the Schiit they sound a bit more laid back, I guess less fatiguing in a way.

Dec 12, 2015 at 7:13 AM Post #2,513 of 12,086
These pads were made for the thX00. Clearly, it is going to be difficult to replace them as they were created to get the sound just as it is. I think people should really give them a chance. They really are not as bad as people are saying, I'm surprised by it frankly as I like them.

They remind me very much of the denon pads and people didn't seem to be complaining much about those.

Well people payed markl a small fortune to get new pads. Wasn´t it some of the most successful ear pad business in existence?

But I don´t argue haven´t heard much about bad comfort with the stock pads but people still changed them. 

Dec 12, 2015 at 10:46 AM Post #2,515 of 12,086
  Huh, interesting that some guys in the UK are already receiving their TH-X00's and my tracking information still says "[size=20.007px]En Route[/size]
Processing Completed at Origin".
What a bummer!

At least your's are still enroute, mine say it was delivered and signed for yet my last name is mispelled on the signature and no one was home at my house. I hate dishonest people. Now I'm not sure how I'll get a pair at all unless that person has a change of heart and drops them off at their proper home. :frowning2:

Dec 12, 2015 at 1:26 PM Post #2,518 of 12,086
These are too good. They do clean up with some burn in and sound awesome. Simply superb and the price is just icing on the cake. I am so impressed with them. They're awesome plugged straight into the macbook.

I can imagine them getting really popular as more people actually hear how good they are.

Dec 12, 2015 at 1:35 PM Post #2,520 of 12,086
It's excellent for gaming. The U shaped frequency response gives awesome impact for explosions and such. They're so powerful sounding that they can make you jump from the impact. I can imagine they'd do great with movies too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back