Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Dec 4, 2015 at 10:22 PM Post #1,457 of 12,086

I hadn't gotten any communication from Massdrop, finally emailed customer service. Hillary did answer and said my phones were ready to ship but they need a physical address (instead of trusty PO Box) because UPS needs a signature. So probably no mahogany cups for me next week
frown.gif

BTW, just I case I can work up the energy to switch to a 4-pin XLR, can anybody tell me which wire is which?

Thanks, all

Dec 4, 2015 at 10:40 PM Post #1,458 of 12,086
SAdddddddd, apparently Massdrop IS in SF, but their warehouse is in New Jersey!!!! I thought I'd be one of the first to get mine as I live right across the bay. Evidently it's going to arrive on the 11th. :frowning2: 

Can't wait to tinker with them though. hue hue. 

Dec 4, 2015 at 10:58 PM Post #1,459 of 12,086
People paid and some are getting anxious as to why they did not receive a tracking number. It is just an email to which even if 4000 people shoot an email at a time, a customer service rep. could easily send back an answer within minutes.
Can't believe you're advising people to hold back to next week to get their answers.

Massdrop indicated we should expect an update on the drop Dec 7 in their last communication. They hoped to get them all out the door Friday. You, sir, have unrealistic (borderline unfair) expectations based on what their communication has been thus far. Don't email them and bug them, read the email they already sent you!

Dec 5, 2015 at 1:34 AM Post #1,463 of 12,086

I hadn't gotten any communication from Massdrop, finally emailed customer service. Hillary did answer and said my phones were ready to ship but they need a physical address (instead of trusty PO Box) because UPS needs a signature. So probably no mahogany cups for me next week
frown.gif

I found myself in the same situation, and went through the same moves, and got a similar response from Hillary.  After providing her with an alternative physical address, I received an acknowledgement of the new address from her, and a
pre-shipping notification instead of the actual shipping notification I was hoping for, namely:

"you will receive another e-mail with a tracking number once your order has shipped" blah, blah, blah...

Not exactly what I wanted to hear, but I refuse to cry about it...  I opt to observe the entire circus with amusement, since I expect to have my unit on my head in a week from now, even if my notification comes on Monday... I am in Massachusetts, and hence, not too far from NJ.  In the meantime, I can't wait to read about the first impressions of those who receive this little toy earlier than me...

Dec 5, 2015 at 1:37 AM Post #1,464 of 12,086
Guys, these things don't need much in a way of an amp. I've been playing the review unit all day on my FiiO X5 which has a weak on board amp made for IEMs and portables, and the THX00 doesn't sound underamped one bit. The X5's colored amp plays very nicely with the THX00's tuning as well. Last night I got in some time with both Project Sunrise 3 and Horizon 3, surprisingly I'm liking these more at the lower current Horizon 3 that puts out 300mW to 25ohms where as the Sunrise 3 is  double that (both can be switched between 3, 35, and 125ohm output).

Lots of fun but without getting too colored. I'm really liking the tuning on these so far; jazz, acoustic, vocals, and anything that plays into a bass boosted sound. The phones behave and have a nice tone when listening to most of my music but get in some Unfinished Symphony by Massive Attack with it's deep sub-bass action or some rap/electronic/etc that has a big bass sound and these things turn into party phones. Those who own mostly neutral phones like myself will really enjoy the contrast and those who favor warmth/color will find some masterful fun tuning in these. Hats off to Fostex and Massdrop for getting this phone out in the world at such pricing! More reason to be excited for those shipments!

Actual review will be up in a few days.

Dec 5, 2015 at 1:55 AM Post #1,465 of 12,086
  Guys, these things don't need much in a way of an amp. I've been playing the review unit all day on my FiiO X5 which has a weak on board amp made for IEMs and portables, and the THX00 doesn't sound underamped one bit. The X5's colored amp plays very nicely with the THX00's tuning as well. Last night I got in some time with both Project Sunrise 3 and Horizon 3, surprisingly I'm liking these more at the lower current Horizon 3 that puts out 300mW to 25ohms where as the Sunrise 3 is  double that (both can be switched between 3, 35, and 125ohm output).

Lots of fun but without getting too colored. I'm really liking the tuning on these so far; jazz, acoustic, vocals, and anything that plays into a bass boosted sound. The phones behave and have a nice tone when listening to most of my music but get in some Unfinished Symphony by Massive Attack with it's deep sub-bass action or some rap/electronic/etc that has a big bass sound and these things turn into party phones. Those who own mostly neutral phones like myself will really enjoy the contrast and those who favor warmth/color will find some masterful fun tuning in these. Hats off to Fostex and Massdrop for getting this phone out in the world at such pricing! More reason to be excited for those shipments!

Have you heard the X2's? If so, how do they compare? Thanks

Dec 5, 2015 at 2:12 AM Post #1,467 of 12,086

So, is it safe to say a borderline basshead, like myself, can rest easy with my purchase? 
L3000.gif

Dec 5, 2015 at 2:17 AM Post #1,468 of 12,086

So, is it safe to say a borderline basshead, like myself, can rest easy with my purchase? 
L3000.gif
  <---they need to recreate this emoji without the suspension headband

Rest easy? No you should be freakin excited! This thing does bass very gracefully enough to keep a neutral head like myself not annoyed (I'm not a basshead but do enjoy my sub-bass here and there). However plug in some music with 50-100hz boost in the music (not eq) and this thing goes from class to party mode.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back