Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Oct 27, 2021 at 4:11 PM Post #11,972 of 12,086
Is the transient impact smoother than with cups, due to no back resonance?
Negative and positive. Smoother if you mean less dynamic and less quick. Smoother frequency response minus bloated bass. Trade off. I had been using TRX00 with TH500RP open cups previously. No cups sounds same as TH500RP cups before I added damping mods…

Dec 16, 2021 at 10:03 PM Post #11,973 of 12,086
Has anyone has experience using TH-X00 mahogany with authentic Th900 pads and dekoni attenuation rings?

I love the comfort of the 900 pads but they make the treble super fatiguing. Do the rings help?

Dec 18, 2021 at 12:29 AM Post #11,974 of 12,086
Has anyone has experience using TH-X00 mahogany with authentic Th900 pads and dekoni attenuation rings?

I love the comfort of the 900 pads but they make the treble super fatiguing. Do the rings help?
Usually people use the attenuation ring to get the bass back. I can confirm you definitely get more bass but I don't remember much about the treble.

It's been a long time but I don't remember focusing on the treble, so it's entirely possible that it drop it to listenable amount lol.

But I also remember nothing sound as good as stock pads so I end up selling the headphone. :p

Dec 18, 2021 at 1:30 AM Post #11,975 of 12,086
The time is rapidly approaching when I will need to replace my stock pads, which truth be told have NOT worn very well.
The outer layer of the pads has not proven to be very durable and is flaking.

Million dollar question is where to find stock pads??
I don't want anything else other than stock, for all the reasons enumerated in many threads on the subject.

Any advice would be most appreciated!
At this stage I am (almost) prepared to buy another headphone just for the pads...:sweat_smile:

Dec 18, 2021 at 2:29 AM Post #11,976 of 12,086
The time is rapidly approaching when I will need to replace my stock pads, which truth be told have NOT worn very well.
The outer layer of the pads has not proven to be very durable and is flaking.

Million dollar question is where to find stock pads??
I don't want anything else other than stock, for all the reasons enumerated in many threads on the subject.

Any advice would be most appreciated!
At this stage I am (almost) prepared to buy another headphone just for the pads...:sweat_smile:
Yes I've tried like 10+ pads nothing beats stock pads (in terms of sound).

E-Mu used to carry them but people complained so they have since switched to leather ear pads (which I suspect will sound different). Unless they have left over stock which you can probably shoot them an e-mail and ask.

That being said, I do have an extra pair of earpad that I bought a long time ago and only used for like testing so I might've used it for 5 min here and there. Bought it to try it on D2000 and TH900 but found their respective stock pads better so back to the drawer it goes LOL.

Bought it when I was pad rolling like crazy:
https://drop.com/talk/23166/denon-fostex-ear-pad-guide?mode=guest_open

It's the one that says TH-X00/E-Mu Teak Earpad.

If you're interested I can sell it to you, send me a pm if you're interested lol.

EDIT: The billion dollar question is where to find stock D2000 pad LOL. I've went through mountains and seas and have yet to find a genuine source of official stock pad. Tried a bunch of ebay seller too who claims to have "official" D2000 pads but all turn out to be knock off.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2021 at 12:44 PM Post #11,978 of 12,086
@Hyde00 Thanks for the link to your excellent article, most informative indeed!
And yes, I will gladly buy your spare pair if the numbers make sense.
Challenge will be shipping from Toronto to Cape Town I suppose, but where there's a will...

I will PM a little later today.
:slight_smile:
LOL now looking back a lot of the info are kind of old since I wrote them so long ago.

Now I have new found knowledge that I should update the guide a little bit. Just....... too lazy....... will come around to it at a later time LOL.

But yeah no rush just PM me whenever haha.

Dec 20, 2021 at 8:47 AM Post #11,979 of 12,086
I just bumped into these very cheap pads - it's $10 incl. shipping for me. Anyhow, if this can help anyone (and maybe you get a $1 off and I get a $1 off, or just choose the right poison and shop directly.

Leather - Perf - multiple variants.

H84bd5a3d04cd46569738175e30f2be5aw.jpg

Your US $1.00, My US$ 1.00 in coupons are here!
https://a.aliexpress.com/_m0SNGWC

Dec 20, 2021 at 10:17 AM Post #11,980 of 12,086
I just bumped into these very cheap pads - it's $10 incl. shipping for me. Anyhow, if this can help anyone (and maybe you get a $1 off and I get a $1 off, or just choose the right poison and shop directly.

Leather - Perf - multiple variants.

H84bd5a3d04cd46569738175e30f2be5aw.jpg

Your US $1.00, My US$ 1.00 in coupons are here!
https://a.aliexpress.com/_m0SNGWC
Hey thank you for the reply! I've tried some of them before and I believe they're the same as pads from AHG. So some are TH-X00/E-Mu Teak pads (10 cm diameter) some are actually ZMF pads (11 cm diameter).

They're not bad but maybe I was picky so I was looking for identical sound. :p

But for anyone that's not super picky like me they're actually not too bad haha.

Dec 20, 2021 at 10:20 AM Post #11,981 of 12,086
Hey thank you for the reply! I've tried some of them before and I believe they're the same as pads from AHG. So some are TH-X00/E-Mu Teak pads (10 cm diameter) some are actually ZMF pads (11 cm diameter).

They're not bad but maybe I was picky so I was looking for identical sound. :p

But for anyone that's not super picky like me they're actually not too bad haha.
Yes that's correct. But these must all be 10cm, I've bought a couple now, all are 10cm. Fit my EMU and Hifimans fine.
The real OG pads are... quite hard to find nowadays. And stupidly priced while they're not even real leather.

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2021 at 10:30 AM Post #11,982 of 12,086
Yes that's correct. But these must all be 10cm, I've bought a couple now, all are 10cm. Fit my EMU and Hifimans fine.
The real OG pads are... quite hard to find nowadays. And stupidly priced while they're not even real leather.
lol I know eh? I don't know why they're so expensive and they're actually just protein leather too. Like I bought official TH610 and TH900 pads a while back and it cost me an arm and leg.

But yes AHG pads are quite nice and priced very reasonably priced too (again change sound signature slightly). :)

Feb 28, 2022 at 2:11 PM Post #11,983 of 12,086
Well, I received the pads yesterday. Yep, real leather and memory foam. Incredibly soft and so comfortable! Very good build quality, too, especially for the price. They are thicker and have a larger ear hole compared to the stock pads.
Measurements:
Thickness: ~31mm (Back), ~20mm (Front)
Earhole: 67x45mm
Diameter: 105mm
Width (around the earhole): 33mm (Back), 23mm (Front), 17mm (Top and Bottom)

Dimensionabley, they are similar to the knock off Dekoni hybrid pads I was using except with a much larger earhole (58x38mm on the Dekoni-like).

Pictures side-by-side with the stock pads:

1020211615c_HDR.jpg
1020211615a_HDR.jpg
Back
1020211615b_HDR.jpg

I also took some measurements to see how they compared (non-standard homemade measurement rig, don't compare to anything else and take with grain of salt).
X00-PH-Stock-vs-Sheepskin.jpg
In a word: BASS!
If you liked to listen to your stock X00s with an EQ bass boost, these are the pads for you! They don't harsh up the treble (*cough*ori pads*cough*) or wreck the midrange (I'm looking at you, Dekoni knock-offs...), but just add some really nice heft to the low end. This is honestly how I thought my Purplehearts would sound when I bought them. Keep in mind this measurement is without an attenuation ring on the sheepskin pads (more on that later).

I also compared them to my Dekoni-like knock-offs.
X00-PH-Sheepskin-vs-Dekoni-Hybrid.jpg
A little more bass (but, keep in mind, this is will full 3D printed attenuation rings on the hybrids and none on the sheepskin) but they really bring the scooped out midrange back (300hz-2khz), which has always annoyed me about those hybrid pads.

And here is with and without attenuation ring compared to stock
X00-PH-Sheepskin-AT-Ring-vs-Stock.jpg
That bass is just madness! More than a 10db boost over stock! :astonished: Too much for me, but if you really like to crank that EQ with other pads, the attenuation rings might be fun for you.

I've been using them without the attenuation rings and I have been enjoying them a lot. Even with the boosted bass, it's still clean for a dynamic (my HE6se V2 has been spoiling me for tight and punchy bass) and not boomy/bleeding. This is honestly what I wanted from them all along, boosted bass, smooth midrange, and a little top end sparkle for fun listening. For $17 shipped, these are a killer deal for the comfort alone, if nothing else.

Anyway, I hope this was helpful to anyone who was on the fence about these. Stay safe and happy listening! :o2smile:
Thanks for this great post! Just checking to see whether the $17 pads have held up well and if you still like them. Just ordered some Fostex X00 Ebony HPs and was about to pull the trigger on Dekonis when I saw your post and measurements. Thanks!

Feb 28, 2022 at 2:48 PM Post #11,984 of 12,086
Thanks for this great post! Just checking to see whether the $17 pads have held up well and if you still like them. Just ordered some Fostex X00 Ebony HPs and was about to pull the trigger on Dekonis when I saw your post and measurements. Thanks!
Yes! The pads are still great and I'm still loving the sound, exactly the sound profile I wanted from my purple hearts. Made a headphone that I rarely listen to and made it one of my faves in my collection for bassy music and video games/movies.

Jun 30, 2022 at 3:29 PM Post #11,985 of 12,086
TR-X00 Ebony owner here. I just wanted to update this thread to say that the $15 Amazon NewFantasia cable has basically fixed the microphonics problem that I personally felt plagued these headphones. Always loved the way these sound, but found the microphonics on the stock cable (and the length!) to be ridiculous and unacceptable. I saw the NewFantasia cable recommended on other sources as a potential fix to the cable problem but never read any updates as to whether it solved the problem. Because they are rubberized and not fabric coated, the scratching sound is gone. There's still a fair bit of microphonics if you were to bump or touch the cable, but it is now within acceptable range for me. Just FYI.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back