Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Aug 8, 2022 at 8:55 AM Post #12,002 of 12,086
Hi all, I just got the Qudelix 5k and want to try EQ for the THX00. The preset oratory EQ in the Qudelix doesn’t sound good to me and I wonder what PEQ settings you guys use? I mainly want to tame the treble and harshness of the headphone.

Aug 8, 2022 at 9:16 AM Post #12,003 of 12,086
I don't use any kind of PEQ or EQ with my TH-X00 Mahogany.

This is because I love the stock sound but also because in my experience the headphone does not respond well to EQ.
Or rather, I have not yet found the settings that I prefer to stock.

Anecdotally there are also many examples hinting at a wide range of variance between units.
So difficult to determine which settings might be best for any particular unit.

Fortunately the highs on my unit are just perfect for me, but then again I am of an age where I don't hear much at all above 13kHz (according to my last test) so your mileage may well vary.

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2022 at 9:21 AM Post #12,004 of 12,086
Yeah I think that was ultimately the issue for me, I tried TH900 and D9200, which I thought was more different in tuning and small bump in resolution. But to me the difference didn't warrant the 3-4x price jump. I guess diminishing return hits hard in this hobby.

Though stock TH900 did give me treble headache which was surprising since I'm generally very treble tolerant (I even thought Grado sounds good).

To me the new D5200/D7200/D9200 line has more refined tuning but in general is more closed sounding than the Fostex made headphones D2000/D5000/D7000 and TH-X00/TH610/TH900. Since the new Denon line is more closed where as Fostex is more semi-open.

I was using D2000 for a while later switched to D5200, right now using Hifiman R7DX LOL (surprise!). But I never did own the Purpleheart (demo for 5 min only), so this piqued my interest........ LOL. Maybe now I should also hunt down a Purpleheart. Though I keep remembering I didn't like the stock TH-X00 pads...... sigh....... choices.........
@Hyde00 Luckily for me you did not like the stock pads! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

One day you should tell the story of how they managed to end up on my headphones at the southernmost tip of Africa.

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2022 at 11:41 AM Post #12,005 of 12,086
Hi all, I just got the Qudelix 5k and want to try EQ for the THX00. The preset oratory EQ in the Qudelix doesn’t sound good to me and I wonder what PEQ settings you guys use? I mainly want to tame the treble and harshness of the headphone.
If I'm not mistaken I think the Oratory EQ flattens the FR to make it either neutral or Harman Target. So I'd imagine it's like buying a bassy headphone and make it not bassy which might explain why you find it not sound good?

But yeah would be nice if you're able to EQ down the treble a bit for taste, I feel like there must be a way to do it but unfortunately I don't have Qudelix 5K so can't really help you there sorry. :slight_frown:
I don't use any kind of PEQ or EQ with my TH-X00 Mahogany.

This is because I love the stock sound but also because in my experience the headphone does not respond well to EQ.
Or rather, I have not yet found the settings that I prefer to stock.
Yeah I also like the stock sound of TH-X00 Mahogany the best. The struggle I had was that the earpad by design make the soundstage small, but the earpad by design also make the tuning sound the best.

Oh the struggle! LOL.
@Hyde00 Luckily for me you did not like the stock pads! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

One day you should tell the story of how they managed to end up on my headphones at the southernmost tip of Africa.
LOLLLL does make a fun story. Funny enough it all started from me trying to find authentic earpad for my D2000, and the eBay seller swear it's authentic pad, turns out it's authentic alright just not for D2000 LOL. So I end up with an extra authentic TH-X00/E-Mu Teak earpad. Which sounds amazing on TH-X00 and E-Mu Teak but not the best pairing for D2000.

Then I saw you looking for replacement pads and after months of planning (literally) we finally managed to find someone going to South Africa from Canada and we almost missed it because stupid Canada Post didn't deliver the package on-time LOL. :joy: Fun times LOL.

But glad it arrived in one piece though haha.

Aug 8, 2022 at 11:57 AM Post #12,006 of 12,086
If I'm not mistaken I think the Oratory EQ flattens the FR to make it either neutral or Harman Target. So I'd imagine it's like buying a bassy headphone and make it not bassy which might explain why you find it not sound good?

But yeah would be nice if you're able to EQ down the treble a bit for taste, I feel like there must be a way to do it but unfortunately I don't have Qudelix 5K so can't really help you there sorry. :slight_frown:

Yeah I also like the stock sound of TH-X00 Mahogany the best. The struggle I had was that the earpad by design make the soundstage small, but the earpad by design also make the tuning sound the best.

Oh the struggle! LOL.

LOLLLL does make a fun story. Funny enough it all started from me trying to find authentic earpad for my D2000, and the eBay seller swear it's authentic pad, turns out it's authentic alright just not for D2000 LOL. So I end up with an extra authentic TH-X00/E-Mu Teak earpad. Which sounds amazing on TH-X00 and E-Mu Teak but not the best pairing for D2000.

Then I saw you looking for replacement pads and after months of planning (literally) we finally managed to find someone going to South Africa from Canada and we almost missed it because stupid Canada Post didn't deliver the package on-time LOL. :joy: Fun times LOL.

But glad it arrived in one piece though haha.
You really went the extra mile for a fellow audiophool though - you didn't mention that shipping was slightly more than we anticipated and you made up the difference.
So thanks again for that, the effort was well worth it in the end and my beloved Mahoganies have a new lease on life.
:beerchug:

Aug 8, 2022 at 12:30 PM Post #12,007 of 12,086
You really went the extra mile for a fellow audiophool though - you didn't mention that shipping was slightly more than we anticipated and you made up the difference.
So thanks again for that, the effort was well worth it in the end and my beloved Mahoganies have a new lease on life.
:beerchug:
LOL no worries, just glad we're able to revive your TH-X00 Mahogany.

Let's hope it last a while or let's hope Fostex continues to keep selling those pads LOL.

Oct 11, 2022 at 10:06 PM Post #12,011 of 12,086
Oct 11, 2022 at 10:15 PM Post #12,012 of 12,086
Can the purple heart non removable cable be reterminated to 4.4 balanced? I want to use this with my new dap and other amps without using adapters if possible.
I don’t see why not. It should be similar to 900 that has 4 conductors ready, just break out your irons and work it away
If you do this, could you YouTube it? I'd love to see how it's done.

Oct 11, 2022 at 11:22 PM Post #12,013 of 12,086
Can the purple heart non removable cable be reterminated to 4.4 balanced? I want to use this with my new dap and other amps without using adapters if possible.
Hello,

You can convert any headphone on the cable to the Pentacon plug.
You just need to know which cable is which to solder it to the plug.

For example, you need to know which cable colour is L+ and L-, R+ and R- and then solder them to the Pentacon connector.

That's all there is to it.
And that is the most important thing to remember.

Oct 12, 2022 at 12:16 AM Post #12,014 of 12,086
Last friday the tubes were out. Not a backwards flying unicorn pairing to my ears but I would have enyoyed it all evening if this dinner thing didn't come between. Liquid Platinum (Tesla E88CC) + TH-X00 Purpleheart was bit thick and warm, bit closed in but at the same time width in the soundstage. I liked the timbre, note weight, separation and general presentation. I usually prefer the Fostex with something that cuts the fat and tightens it up, this took it in another direction. It's heavy and meaty, but it wasn't a bad thing. Need to give this combo more time, can't decide how good it is 😄

SMSL_VMV_D1se_Liquid_Platinum_Fostex_TH-X00.jpg

Oct 13, 2022 at 5:28 AM Post #12,015 of 12,086

Wait a moment - don't screw up your cable without knowing it properly.
I don't believe it may have 4 conductors. There's a splitter in the middle.
The stock cable I have for the EMU Teak might just be the exact same cable that comes with Fostex(es).

I don't think my cable has 4 conductors. It's terminated with a 3.5mm - I believe down the splitter, it might just have 3 conductors. I expect the same for your cable. So in essence, you may just need to make your own or get a 3rd party cable with actual 4 conductors to make a 4.4 Pent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back