Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Feb 10, 2018 at 7:03 AM Post #11,161 of 12,086
Yep, thanks for that. Thats a pretty nice option with that lightning cable, but unfortunately I'm on Android and have one USB connection. I'm either charging or using an external device, but not both :frowning2:

So far I need to audition the Mojo and iDSD. Maybe I get some other suggestions as well till then.

If I may, a comparison of the products in the same price range:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/ris...c-amps-mojo-idsd-micro-m9xx-vs-others.863765/
Personally I’d go with the iDSD because the Fostex is already very musical. A bit more neutrality in the DAC is a perfect combination. That said, I honestly don’t think there would be a huge difference between the 2

Feb 10, 2018 at 1:36 PM Post #11,162 of 12,086
Before I get started, I wanted to say that haven't , nor will I ever EQ my headphones. That being said...

I recently was able to buy a set of Mahogany Th-x00 cheap. I love the sound , but the pads don't cut it.

I tried pad rolling with HM5 Sheepskin, Alpha Pads and ZMF Ori pads. In each case, the mids were further recessed (Ori mids not as much) and the treble became scorching hot to my ears. Adding varying types of attenuation rings made little to no difference. Rotating the foam ring on top of driver made 0 difference, contrary to what some have stated.

Is there any way to tame the treble enough so that I can actually use the ZMF Ori Pads? The comfort is there, the bass cleaned up nicely...but mids sound goofy and recessed a tad and treble sounds now like the He-400i, which in my case is a nightmare (I loathe bright treble).

Again, no suggestions on using EQ, driver foam rotation, attenuation ring, Lawton driver mod will be entertained. I'm looking for a sane answer to taming treble without losing great deal of the sound signature.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2018 at 2:02 PM Post #11,163 of 12,086
Before I get started, I wanted to say that haven't , nor will I ever EQ my headphones. That being said...

I recently was able to buy a set of Mahogany Th-x00 cheap. I love the sound , but the pads don't cut it.

I tried pad rolling with HM5 Sheepskin, Alpha Pads and ZMF Ori pads. In each case, the mids were further recessed (Ori mids not as much) and the treble became scorching hot to my ears. Adding varying types of attenuation rings made little to no difference. Rotating the foam ring on top of driver made 0 difference, contrary to what some have stated.

Is there any way to tame the treble enough so that I can actually use the ZMF Ori Pads? The comfort is there, the bass cleaned up nicely...but mids sound goofy and recessed a tad and treble sounds now like the He-400i, which in my case is a nightmare (I loathe bright treble).

Again, no suggestions on using EQ, driver foam rotation, attenuation ring, Lawton driver mod will be entertained. I'm looking for a sane answer to taming treble without losing great deal of the sound signature.
Wish I could help. I was in the same boat as you (except I found the sound with the Alpha pads very sweet). Eventually I moved on, realizing there will always be piercing treble spikes with certain songs and the Fostex, no matter what you do to them. That and the fixed cable eventually led me to the ZMF Atticus, and in all honesty it’s a major upgrade in almost every way (of course in price as well!) I say almost because no headphone does bass and sub bass quite like the Fostex, but the Atticus gets damn close, especially with a well matched amp like the Audio-GD R2R-11. Good luck in your search, hope you find a solution that works for you.

Feb 10, 2018 at 2:20 PM Post #11,164 of 12,086

You seem to be fairly treble sensitive. Which Ori pads - leather or suede? I like the suede Ori's on my Palo Santo cupped TH-X00PH (which hovers between the Mahogany and Purpleheart cups in sound flavor), even with the bass reduction. Have you tried experimenting with covering the driver grill with tissue paper/toilet paper to tame the highs? My Purplehearts are a tad tamer in the treble than the Palo Santos, but they use Jmoney V3 pads, which are absolutely impossible to get, haven't been made in years. The Jmoney V3 pads also don't work as well overall on the Mahogany/Palo Santo as they do on the Purpleheart/Ebony. Also, don't remember, but do you have the Lawton driver dampening installed? That helps out with the mids. The mids in both my Purplehearts and Palo Santo are noticeably better than stock.

DAC and amp selection also help some... warm leaning actually works better for me than neutral for my TH-X00s - did not like Schiit DACs with it.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2018 at 4:21 PM Post #11,165 of 12,086
You seem to be fairly treble sensitive. Which Ori pads - leather or suede? I like the suede Ori's on my Palo Santo cupped TH-X00PH (which hovers between the Mahogany and Purpleheart cups in sound flavor), even with the bass reduction. Have you tried experimenting with covering the driver grill with tissue paper/toilet paper to tame the highs? My Purplehearts are a tad tamer in the treble than the Palo Santos, but they use Jmoney V3 pads, which are absolutely impossible to get, haven't been made in years. The Jmoney V3 pads also don't work as well overall on the Mahogany/Palo Santo as they do on the Purpleheart/Ebony. Also, don't remember, but do you have the Lawton driver dampening installed? That helps out with the mids. The mids in both my Purplehearts and Palo Santo are noticeably better than stock.

DAC and amp selection also help some... warm leaning actually works better for me than neutral for my TH-X00s - did not like Schiit DACs with it.

Unfortunately, I am pretty sensitive to treble. In stock form, I have 0 issues with the sound ...probably bass is blanketing it. Weirdly, I can tolerate treble on different cans (T50RP and X2 I tolerate very well). My hunch is that it is specific to a certain frequency ...I just wish I knew which one. If I knew, it would help me in future mods and purchases.

I have the leather ZMF Ori pads, ZMF Oval Sheepskin & Pleather, Alpha Pads, HM5 angled sheepskin and Pleather, Cascadia audio Impact pads, HM5 velours, HM5 hybrid, Dekoni Elite sheepskin TH-900 (sounded the best but gutted the bass and mids even with attenuation rings).

The tp/ptowel I have yet to try. Im guessing you start with 1 sheet and then add another until suitable? I plan on doing that once I get my cans back, as they were sent away to Pterek for the cable mod he does so well.

Feb 10, 2018 at 5:33 PM Post #11,166 of 12,086
Unfortunately, I am pretty sensitive to treble. In stock form, I have 0 issues with the sound ...probably bass is blanketing it. Weirdly, I can tolerate treble on different cans (T50RP and X2 I tolerate very well). My hunch is that it is specific to a certain frequency ...I just wish I knew which one. If I knew, it would help me in future mods and purchases.

I have the leather ZMF Ori pads, ZMF Oval Sheepskin & Pleather, Alpha Pads, HM5 angled sheepskin and Pleather, Cascadia audio Impact pads, HM5 velours, HM5 hybrid, Dekoni Elite sheepskin TH-900 (sounded the best but gutted the bass and mids even with attenuation rings).

The tp/ptowel I have yet to try. Im guessing you start with 1 sheet and then add another until suitable? I plan on doing that once I get my cans back, as they were sent away to Pterek for the cable mod he does so well.

T50RP/T40RP have kind of a rolled off laid back treble, SHP9500 have a far more intense treble... which is where the tissue paper/toilet paper filters come in. Yeah, try adding a ply at a time to see how it changes. Too much and you get a veil/loose clarity. TH-X00 is a very V-shaped can, and with how good the treble and mids still come across with that massive bass, you know it's not laid back in the highs.

The Lawton driver dampening really helps out the TH-X00 in many ways, you really should consider installing it - #1 recommended thing to do for a Fostex/Denon biodyna driver headphone. It takes them from solid mid-fi to a near top end level can when combined with proper pads and attenuators. And it's cheaper than most pads that work well @ $30ish (must ask for no cup dampening/driver dampening only) ...and it's the only Lawton thing I have liked. Can't stand their angled ear pads - both in sound and comfort/fit and no idea on their enlarged chamber wood cups, especially at their asking prices. But based off what I've read it's similar change to the pads...essentially you are changing the TH-X00 into a too different headphone that's lost its original, focused purpose. Will 100% endorse the driver dampening as a must do for Fostex/Denon if you want to bring their fidelity up - I just can't go back to the stock slightly bloomy, dulled, and conjested sound of a stock TH-X00.

Feb 11, 2018 at 12:51 AM Post #11,167 of 12,086
I'm feeling like an idiot but hopefully someone here can help me out with the info I need.

I was just starting to install the MMCX connectors talked about in this thread when I was interrupted. I carefully put the 8 screws from the one side along with the rubber strain relief into a little zip lock bag. But I have absolutely no idea where I put it. I have the cup, the driver, the foam surround for the driver all right here where I expected everything to be. But no little plastic bag of screws. I don't really need the strain relief unless I want to go back to stock but I really do need the screws.

Does anyone know by chance the correct sizes for the 2 different screws? The ones that are for securing the eaf cup and the other for securing the driver? If they were larger sized screws I could just remove one of each from the other side and go to the local hardware store and find matching screws but I'm pretty sure these are smaller than those one can find in the local big box hardware store.

Feb 13, 2018 at 1:44 AM Post #11,168 of 12,086
So I ordered a Tune-Up Kit from Mark yesterday, I wonder how long will it take to deliver to my country.
Hopefully I would be able to share impressions untill the end of month.

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2018 at 12:17 PM Post #11,169 of 12,086
T50RP/T40RP have kind of a rolled off laid back treble, SHP9500 have a far more intense treble... which is where the tissue paper/toilet paper filters come in. Yeah, try adding a ply at a time to see how it changes. Too much and you get a veil/loose clarity. TH-X00 is a very V-shaped can, and with how good the treble and mids still come across with that massive bass, you know it's not laid back in the highs.

The Lawton driver dampening really helps out the TH-X00 in many ways, you really should consider installing it - #1 recommended thing to do for a Fostex/Denon biodyna driver headphone. It takes them from solid mid-fi to a near top end level can when combined with proper pads and attenuators. And it's cheaper than most pads that work well @ $30ish (must ask for no cup dampening/driver dampening only) ...and it's the only Lawton thing I have liked. Can't stand their angled ear pads - both in sound and comfort/fit and no idea on their enlarged chamber wood cups, especially at their asking prices. But based off what I've read it's similar change to the pads...essentially you are changing the TH-X00 into a too different headphone that's lost its original, focused purpose. Will 100% endorse the driver dampening as a must do for Fostex/Denon if you want to bring their fidelity up - I just can't go back to the stock slightly bloomy, dulled, and conjested sound of a stock TH-X00.

So I have went ahead and ordered the Lawton driver dampening. Hopefully it won't be that hard to do. Did the driver dampening just tame the treble and clean things up? I have also heard horrible things about the Lawton pads. I am hoping that with the treble tamed, I can use the ZMF Ori Leather pads...they are some of the most comfortable pads I have ever used.

Feb 13, 2018 at 12:58 PM Post #11,170 of 12,086
So I have went ahead and ordered the Lawton driver dampening. Hopefully it won't be that hard to do. Did the driver dampening just tame the treble and clean things up? I have also heard horrible things about the Lawton pads. I am hoping that with the treble tamed, I can use the ZMF Ori Leather pads...they are some of the most comfortable pads I have ever used.

The driver dampening is not really about taming the treble, but it does help some to lessen listening fatigue. Main thing the dampening does is improve clarity, detail, and instrument separation bass is also improved with slightly better extension and finesse. Lyrics will be more intelligible, and small details will be more prevalent...opens up the sound more like an open headphone.

Feb 13, 2018 at 2:18 PM Post #11,171 of 12,086

My Purplehearts have the Lawton damping (minus the foam damping for the chambers), ZMF Ori Lambskin pads, and ZMF Pilot Pad. I haven't done the attenuator yet as Vracer recommends, nor have I played with the rotation of the foam disc yet. But these last 2 are just due to legendary procrastination on my part :)

I believe you'll enjoy the combo quite a lot.

Feb 21, 2018 at 3:39 PM Post #11,173 of 12,086
I finally got around to doing the MMCX cable mod. They are just so much more comfortable without the heavy stock cable. The only problem was finding a decent MMCX cable amongst those I have that didn't have wire cable guides (or any style really). It was surprisingly simple and done in almost no time.

Feb 21, 2018 at 11:43 PM Post #11,174 of 12,086
I finally got around to doing the MMCX cable mod. They are just so much more comfortable without the heavy stock cable. The only problem was finding a decent MMCX cable amongst those I have that didn't have wire cable guides (or any style really). It was surprisingly simple and done in almost no time.
Got some pictures of the finished product?

Feb 22, 2018 at 2:15 AM Post #11,175 of 12,086
Got some pictures of the finished product?
I'll try to take pictures if I'm feeling like bothering to remove the cup for an internal shot. That would better show exactly what needs to be done. Here's a reddit thread covering both the SMC (which also was in this thread) and pictures of the MMCX mod. I got a slightly shorter connector. It allowed me to skip using the additional screw so it sits nice and flush. With the connector from the reddit post the person doing it had to put an additional nut on the outside of the connector to keep it from going too deep into the hole where it would interfere with the driver housing / flange. I'm not a picture person but I'll try to pop off the cup, take photos and put the connector ordering info from Amazon and Aliexpress along with an extremely simple description to get it all gathered up in one place.

https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones...x_thx00_detachable_cable_mod/#bottom-comments

Users who are viewing this thread

Back