Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Feb 22, 2018 at 4:04 AM Post #11,176 of 12,086
@bsoplinger, don't take apart your headphone just to take a picture since I've done the SMC mod to 4 TH series headphones but haven't done one with MMCX jacks since I've found them to not last as long when used on headphones that a person will detach/attach the cables a few times per week. The reddit post shows what I wanted to see

Feb 27, 2018 at 8:56 AM Post #11,177 of 12,086
IMO, I would put driver dampening and suitable pads with custom attenuators over DAC/amp selection if you really want to improve TH-X00 dynamics, detail, clarity, and instrument separation for any use it sees. Stock is noticeably more muffled, closed, and conjested sounding compared to a modded one with proper driver dampening and suitable earpads with custom attenuators. Would much rather listen to a modded TH-X00 straight out of a phone/tablet than a stock one out of any headphone DAC/amp desktop setup... For less than $100 you can mod the TH-X00 and have a noticeable increase in the sound quality which no DAC/amp combo can do for it due to the nature of the stock ones chamber resonance/reflections and pad design.

So the Lawton driver tune up kit arrived yesterday. Installing was straightforward just the straight strips needed some cutting into correct length. The increase in clarity was immediately audible. Most possibly really an effect of getting rid of unwanted resonance. Although I didn't realized any resonance before...
So yeah, given the TH-X00 is a 400$ headphone and the mod was around 40$ shipped internationally, that is 10% of the original price and I say it was money well spent. So a big +1 for your suggestion.
And at the moment I had only my phone for audition. Got rid of my desktop amp and dac, and my portable gear didn't arrive yet. I hope the added clarity will even scope better with more quality source and amplification. Got the parts for a shortened custom cryo occ cable aswell, but I don't want to rush that modification because I don't have much spare time atm.

Feb 27, 2018 at 9:00 AM Post #11,178 of 12,086
My kit will be delivered this week if nothing happens with the customs.
Looking forward to feel what does "increase in clarity" means lol

Feb 27, 2018 at 11:25 AM Post #11,179 of 12,086
My kit will be delivered this week if nothing happens with the customs.
Looking forward to feel what does "increase in clarity" means lol
It’s literally what the word means. It’s more clear and defined. It’s not as muddy and congested as VRacer-111 said. It opens it up where you also can hear more instrument separation between notes. I believe you’ll hear an immediate improvement. You’ll also notice the bass may not have as much quantity (because it’s cleaner with faster decay) but it’ll definitely be quality with more punch and oomph!

Feb 27, 2018 at 11:40 AM Post #11,180 of 12,086
Get the Lawtons full mod.

Feb 27, 2018 at 1:06 PM Post #11,182 of 12,086
No, thanks. I love how the wood sounds without dampening and don't know anyone who would want to pay $720+ to mod a pair of $500 headphones.
Had two TH900S fully modded by Lawton. Theres a big diffetence in the density / hardness of the multitude of wood cups. A friend modded his x and it scaled up very high. But if you ok a slight improvement thats cool.

Feb 27, 2018 at 2:59 PM Post #11,183 of 12,086
Good to see more hopping on the Lawton train! Haha had my Tune-Up kit sitting on my desk before my Purplehearts even arrived :)

Feb 28, 2018 at 12:11 AM Post #11,184 of 12,086
Just got my TH-X00 PH today. I'm mostly a basshead EDM listener and they make my Ultrasone Pro 900 feel so...lifeless. I've loved my Pro 900 for awhile now and am kind of sad they've been dethroned so easily for my listening tastes.

Ultrasone Pro 900 has been my go-to standard for EDM until recently, as I've created a rotation by adding the M1060C. The M1060C brings more energy and detail to the mids and highs compared to the Pro 900, but at a big loss of bass quantity a little bit in quality too.

Pro 900 has a little bit more bass quantity than the TH-X00 PH, but it's more boom than punch, definitely less bass detail than the TH-X00 PH. For total sound, TH-X00 PH has more energy, clarity, and fun than either the Pro 900 or the M1060C, with almost all the bass of the Pro 900. I kind of doubted there was a headphone that could combine everything I wanted.

Really looking forward to getting more hours on these TH-X00 PH, the Lawton Tune-Up, Dekoni Sheepskins, and the Schiit Loki as they come in the next few weeks.

Mar 2, 2018 at 3:11 PM Post #11,186 of 12,086
Okay, so the TH-X00 are really growing on me, especially fed by my newly acquired Cayin N5ii DAP.
Time to ask again the more experienced people...
I was thinking of getting an iem with similar sound signature for work and daily commute. Looking purely at fr graphs show similarity with the Vsonic GR07 bass edition (as seen on innerfidelity) plus the fact that the GR07 has dynamic biocellulose diaphragm drivers too.
Any thoughts or other suggestions?

Mar 2, 2018 at 3:23 PM Post #11,187 of 12,086
Had two TH900S fully modded by Lawton. Theres a big diffetence in the density / hardness of the multitude of wood cups. A friend modded his x and it scaled up very high. But if you ok a slight improvement thats cool.

The full Lawton mod is great with the Fostex TH900s but I wouldn’t recommend them for the TH-X00. I had installed full driver side mod and when I met up with Vracer at the Houston meet, he let me listen to just his driver side modded PurpleHearts. Ripped out the cup side mod right there and then.

There was a different conversation over ear pads that Cskippy, VRacer and a few others were testing and I sent V my Lawton pads. Told him they make it sound lean and hollows out the sub bass. Once he tested them he agreed and promptly sent them back.

The Fostex TH900 benefits from these changes. The TH-X00 doesn’t. As always, this is my subjective and a few other’s views.

Mar 2, 2018 at 8:34 PM Post #11,189 of 12,086
I had installed full driver side mod and when I met up with Vracer at the Houston meet, he let me listen to just his driver side modded PurpleHearts. Ripped out the cup side mod right there and then.
When I ordered my Lawton mod for my TH-X00, Mark Lawton kindly recommended essentially this. Indicated I should try installing everything but the cup-side mod before moving on to the whole thing. Will be interested in comparing them next week when it arrives.

Mar 2, 2018 at 9:29 PM Post #11,190 of 12,086
When I ordered my Lawton mod for my TH-X00, Mark Lawton kindly recommended essentially this. Indicated I should try installing everything but the cup-side mod before moving on to the whole thing. Will be interested in comparing them next week when it arrives.

If you like the stock TH-X00PH bass, you most likely won't like what the cup dampening does to it. Just took one listen of Phantaminum's TH-X00 with the full kit dampening and decided then an there to not put in the cup dampening... did not like what it did to the bass. And once he heard mine he went ahead and got rid of the cup dampening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back