Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Aug 6, 2017 at 12:01 AM Post #10,396 of 12,087
Aug 6, 2017 at 10:57 AM Post #10,397 of 12,087
TH900 has more seperation, sound stage, more deeper and wider bass and better quality treble.
This is true spec wise, and they put more money into it obviously, though it's a matter of taste. The EMU Teak - of all the Fosters (ie. Denon, Fostex, EMU) is considered the least V shaped. It has what many call the "least dry" sound. Tyll agreed and having heard the others, I also agree. I have an aversion to bright headphones, and while I love bass, too much can ruin a headphone for me. To suit my own ears, the Teak is closest to that. The THXX Ebony is a close second. It has a bit more sub, and a bit more between 5-10 khz (while the EMU has a bit more at 10-15 khz). Pretty much all of the other in this family (Denon ADH series, Fostex) have a more mid bass bump and brightness than I can tolerate.

Tyll heard the TH900 Mk 2 ("improved" version) and he couldn't stand it. I mean he outright said they were terrible, which he rarely does. Probably due to their price vs. others. The reaction was like: "These are their flagships, really?" I trust his ear on these things since his opinion about every can I've tested mirrored mine. The Mr Speakers Ether C Flow? Yep, great bass, peaky highs ruin it. Oppo PM3? Yep, definitely rolled off in the bass while others here found them "bassy". It shows how different we all hear. Don't sell anything. You should tell us what you're looking for sound-wise. If you want to test the TH900, find a place with a very good return policy in case the treble and bass bother you too much.

Aug 6, 2017 at 11:07 AM Post #10,398 of 12,087
Im a Audiophile basshead and I dislike bright extended treble. I hate the SSSSSS sound on every track. I have the TH900 and it can get bright but its so easy to tame its treble. I can just EQ the treble to make the SSS totally disapear. I can also change its cable, and I can and did have Lawton mod it.

Aug 6, 2017 at 8:49 PM Post #10,399 of 12,087
It might motivate him if you let them know that faster email responses and overall action could get them a lot more customers, especially if they create a pad that, without attenuation rings, gets the sound as good (or better) than the original, with more comfort. Many of us will be seriously watching to see how it goes. Finding something like that would be nothing short of a miracle around here.

Thought I'd update everyone.
It's been a very slow process but Vesper audio is finally making the custom pads for my Purplehearts.
Vracer111 has been an incredible help, sending me literally drawn schematics of all the measurements of what the pad needs to be like. Lots of slooooow communication (because they're in Romania???? who knows) but I believe we may have come up with a pad that "should" be close to the DC'd Jmomey pads that Vracer111 loves with the THX PH's.
I also had Lawton do the level 1 tune-up but only had the driver dampening done. It really cleaned everything up. Didn't want anything done to the cups as I've read and heard it really takes a lot of the bass and it's slam away which is what the PH is all about. Vracer also turned me on to a pair of ZMF Ori leathers along with his customized attenuators. These HP's have a completely different SQ that I'm really diggin a lot. I really didn't think the bass was that slow and bloated with the stock pads until I got the tune-up and new pads with rings. These sound so sweet now. The bass is a lot faster and tighter but still goes really deep and doesn't overpower the mids at all. The treble was smoothed out where they're still bright but not to bright while keeping that sparkle with really nice separation and detail. It also seems the sound stage is better versus stock everything. I really love the way these sound now. It's like a new set of HP's.

Once I get the Vesper pads, I'll let you guys know how they sound compared to the stock and the Ori's.
Oh yeah, not that crazy expensive either as they were $69 bucks with $8 shipping from Romania to Arizona. Not too bad!

Aug 6, 2017 at 9:01 PM Post #10,400 of 12,087
I'd be interested in trying the Vesper pads with my TH-X00 and HE-6 sometime. Let me know when you get them and if you would like to do a meet up.

Aug 6, 2017 at 10:23 PM Post #10,402 of 12,087
I will say the Jmoney pads are slightly less technically capable and comfortable than the Ori pads (other than the bass presentation), but they present a sound that is uniquely appealing in comparison. Hard to describe, but it just sounds so right with the TH-X00 PH + Lawton driver dampening + custom attenuators. Much more right than the 'technically superior' Ori pads. Would be interesting to see if the Vesper pads can have a similar quality to them.

And Vesper audio is in the Ukriane I believe....

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2017 at 11:10 PM Post #10,403 of 12,087
I will say the Jmoney pads are slightly less technically capable and comfortable than the Ori pads (other than the bass presentation), but they present a sound that is uniquely appealing in comparison. Hard to describe, but it just sounds so right with the TH-X00 PH + Lawton driver dampening + custom attenuators. Much more right than the 'technically superior' Ori pads. Would be interesting to see if the Vesper pads can have a similar quality to them.

And Vesper audio is in the Ukriane I believe....

Vesper's somewhere over there!
Nevertheless, stoked to hear how they sound and compare to the stock and Ori
I'm really happy with the Ori's and the quarter moon rings. Together they sound eons better then stock. I'm sure the Lawton tune-up in unison with pad swap also plays a good part in the entire SQ improvement.

Aug 7, 2017 at 4:17 AM Post #10,404 of 12,087
Thought I'd update everyone.
It's been a very slow process but Vesper audio is finally making the custom pads for my Purplehearts.
Vracer111 has been an incredible help, sending me literally drawn schematics of all the measurements of what the pad needs to be like. Lots of slooooow communication (because they're in Romania???? who knows) but I believe we may have come up with a pad that "should" be close to the DC'd Jmomey pads that Vracer111 loves with the THX PH's.
I also had Lawton do the level 1 tune-up but only had the driver dampening done. It really cleaned everything up. Didn't want anything done to the cups as I've read and heard it really takes a lot of the bass and it's slam away which is what the PH is all about. Vracer also turned me on to a pair of ZMF Ori leathers along with his customized attenuators. These HP's have a completely different SQ that I'm really diggin a lot. I really didn't think the bass was that slow and bloated with the stock pads until I got the tune-up and new pads with rings. These sound so sweet now. The bass is a lot faster and tighter but still goes really deep and doesn't overpower the mids at all. The treble was smoothed out where they're still bright but not to bright while keeping that sparkle with really nice separation and detail. It also seems the sound stage is better versus stock everything. I really love the way these sound now. It's like a new set of HP's.

Once I get the Vesper pads, I'll let you guys know how they sound compared to the stock and the Ori's.
Oh yeah, not that crazy expensive either as they were $69 bucks with $8 shipping from Romania to Arizona. Not too bad!

FYI, the review DMS3 did of my PH's was in exactly the configuration you have now. Lawton Tune-Up (minus cup damping), Omni/Ori pads, and ZMF Pilot Pad. Though no attenuator plate, if you've made one of those.

Aug 7, 2017 at 7:34 AM Post #10,405 of 12,087
FYI, the review DMS3 did of my PH's was in exactly the configuration you have now. Lawton Tune-Up (minus cup damping), Omni/Ori pads, and ZMF Pilot Pad. Though no attenuator plate, if you've made one of those.

After watching his review, I could never base one of my purchases off anything he has to say. Not because of his intelligence or opinion, because we are on opposite sides of the spectrum with tastes.
BTW, nice PH's in his vid :)

Aug 7, 2017 at 8:20 AM Post #10,406 of 12,087
Vesper's somewhere over there!
Nevertheless, stoked to hear how they sound and compare to the stock and Ori
I'm really happy with the Ori's and the quarter moon rings. Together they sound eons better then stock. I'm sure the Lawton tune-up in unison with pad swap also plays a good part in the entire SQ improvement.

I'm really curious as to how close the custom made Vespers are to the Jmoneys. Would you entertain the idea of possibly sending them to V-Racer to compare them? I'll even pay postage. :)

Aug 7, 2017 at 8:48 AM Post #10,407 of 12,087
I'm really curious as to how close the custom made Vespers are to the Jmoneys. Would you entertain the idea of possibly sending them to V-Racer to compare them? I'll even pay postage. :)

Are you kidding me? Not a chance. JK
That goes without saying. That was the plan from the outset. None of us will know how these will sound until Vracer-111 hears them.
No worries man, you don't have to pay postage as I got this. I truly do appreciate the offer though. Very kind of you.

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2017 at 9:39 AM Post #10,408 of 12,087
I'm a Audiophile bass head and I dislike bright extended treble. I hate the SSSSSS sound on every track. I have the TH900 and it can get bright but its so easy to tame its treble. I can just EQ the treble to make the SSS totally disappear. I can also change its cable, and I can and did have Lawton mod it.
That makes sense. I'm just a fan of not needing EQ. It introduce subtle phase shift, even the best of EQs. Not a big deal to most but as an audio engineer I notice it. Especially since it can often be narrow peaks that are hot (say 7 kHz and 9 kHz for example) and a typical treble EQ knob cut is broad (ie. a high shelf starting at 4 kHz or 6 kHz or wherever through 20 hz) it tames those but also brings down areas around the peak that are not boosted (and could even be dipped already). Even a good graphic EQ is usually 5-10 bands ,and just one band could cut too much surrounding the target notch. That is just my inner geek. Don't get me wrong, outside of audio production, like in my car, I use and abuse the EQ. I have to as car systems are consistently effing bright, they need it.

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2017 at 3:36 PM Post #10,409 of 12,087
Are you kidding me? Not a chance. JK
That goes without saying. That was the plan from the outset. None of us will know how these will sound until Vracer-111 hears them.
No worries man, you don't have to pay postage as I got this. I truly do appreciate the offer though. Very kind of you.

Actually, I would like to send you the Jmoney pads for you and cskippy to compare against the attenuated Vesper and Ori, that way cskippy could also have a chance to possibly measure all of them as well. The more ears on the pads the better, right? All will have identical attenuators in them (assuming the Vespers are not sealed inside...) I'm having the HD700 come in late this week (hopefully...second attempt at acquiring one) and want to devote time only to it for a while. I'm thoroughly familiar with my TH-X00 PH and love the way it sounds, would just like the opinions of you and cskippy on how the Ori, Jmoney, and Vesper compare with each other.

I really don't need to hear the Vespers, if the Vespers are good enough sound wise I may order some, but in Alcantara just to mix it up. The Jmoney pads will be ready to mount, mounting ring and attenuator installed, since the rear flap is getting a little delicate and taking mounting rings in and out will wear it out more. I can send them out to you at the end of this week.

Aug 7, 2017 at 3:42 PM Post #10,410 of 12,087
Actually, I would like to send you the Jmoney pads for you and cskippy to compare against the attenuated Vesper and Ori, that way cskippy could also have a chance to possibly measure all of them as well. The more ears on the pads the better, right? All will have identical attenuators in them (assuming the Vespers are not sealed inside...) I'm having the HD700 come in late this week (hopefully...second attempt at acquiring one) and want to devote time only to it for a while. I'm thoroughly familiar with my TH-X00 PH and love the way it sounds, would just like the opinions of you and cskippy on how the Ori, Jmoney, and Vesper compare with each other.

I really don't need to hear the Vespers, if the Vespers are good enough sound wise I may order some, but in Alcantara just to mix it up. The Jmoney pads will be ready to mount, mounting ring and attenuator installed, since the rear flap is getting a little delicate and taking mounting rings in and out will wear it out more. I can send them out to you at the end of this week.

OK, that's a better plan. I've communicated to them numerous times that I'd be putting in attenuator rings.
Really is a shame what happened with your HP 700's man! Hopefully you can enjoy them fully once they do arrive this time.
You're right, the more ears the better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back