Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Apr 28, 2017 at 5:27 PM Post #10,174 of 12,086
Oh my... I'm in LOVE all over again! Lawton Tune-Up Kit + J-Money pads with custom file folder attenuator plates under the rear thick portion is just WOW. Clearer than my modded SHP9500's with more microdetail than I've ever heard out of them, and bass presence that absolutely belongs in a HT system. Absolute tears of joy here...listening to them nearly had me crying at the incredible sound they are now making... just WOW! Definitely feel like getting the Ori pads now to replace the 8 year old J-Money pads, also in on the Dekoni TH-900 pads drop to see what would work with them.

Apr 28, 2017 at 9:41 PM Post #10,176 of 12,086
I never heard about J-Money pads.

Apr 28, 2017 at 11:08 PM Post #10,177 of 12,086
My TH-X00 with PETEREK's detachable cable mod and ebony cups

IMG_1690.JPG
IMG_1692.JPG

Apr 29, 2017 at 12:29 AM Post #10,178 of 12,086
Wow that looks great! The only reason TH-X00 doesn't get more headtime is that stupid stock cable. Detachable cable mod is looking really good. Plus, I ordered a couple of pads from Massdrop, so these should sound top notch.

Apr 29, 2017 at 12:32 AM Post #10,179 of 12,086
Wow that looks great! The only reason TH-X00 doesn't get more headtime is that stupid stock cable. Detachable cable mod is looking really good. Plus, I ordered a couple of pads from Massdrop, so these should sound top notch.

Agreed on the cable thing. Love the fact that I have a cable I can use with portables now since the TH-X00 are very efficient. Don't know why they didn't at least come terminated in 3.5 with a quarter inch adapter.

Apr 29, 2017 at 7:25 AM Post #10,180 of 12,086
Oh my... I'm in LOVE all over again! Lawton Tune-Up Kit + J-Money pads with custom file folder attenuator plates under the rear thick portion is just WOW. Clearer than my modded SHP9500's with more microdetail than I've ever heard out of them, and bass presence that absolutely belongs in a HT system. Absolute tears of joy here...listening to them nearly had me crying at the incredible sound they are now making... just WOW! Definitely feel like getting the Ori pads now to replace the 8 year old J-Money pads, also in on the Dekoni TH-900 pads drop to see what would work with them.
Haha now yours are modded like mine! I don't have attenuator plates, because my X00's have been out of my possession for awhile now, but Omni pads + Lawton kit sounded pretty fantastic to me. I just need to throw the Lawton-supplied foam in the earcups when I get them back from DMS3, and add the attenuation discs now.

Try adding the ZMF Pilot Pad for MUCH improved headband comfort over stock, as well. Might not work if your noggin is Herman Munster-sized, but for mere mortals I can't recommend it enough!

Apr 29, 2017 at 8:44 AM Post #10,181 of 12,086
I haven't measured it, but I had to run the M2U so low that I had channel imbalance. I added a SYS to fix this. They're pretty easy to drive so the M2U runs them pretty loud, even on low gain.

Ok. I have the volume at 100% in Windows and at 9-ish on the M2U, sometimes with quieter recordings its up to 11.. I cant hear any channel imbalance around 9. I have only measured the dB with a iPhone app so I guess its not even close to reality.

Apr 29, 2017 at 1:07 PM Post #10,182 of 12,086
Ok. I have the volume at 100% in Windows and at 9-ish on the M2U, sometimes with quieter recordings its up to 11.. I cant hear any channel imbalance around 9. I have only measured the dB with a iPhone app so I guess its not even close to reality.

I do listen fairly quietly though. I have windows at 100%, SYS at 50%, and M2U at 8:45ish, and that's comfortable for me. I think 11:00 would be too loud for me even with the SYS at 50%.

Apr 29, 2017 at 6:09 PM Post #10,183 of 12,086
Whee, got mine (TH-X00 Mahogany), finally! This was a slow shipping, for some reason UK customs took over a week to process it.

First impressions and thoughts:
-They are bigger in person than i expected
-Wood cups look quite a bit darker than on Massdrop's photos (my pair looks like this: https://www.head-fi.org/f/showcase/fostex-th-x00-massdrop-exclusive.21135/reviews#review-14608 )
-Cable is super thick, my laptop power cable is less thick than this :D not a big fan of the cable tbh
-VERY V-shaped when plugged into my computer. I tried to eq the thing to my liking and had to eq down treble (that 9-11khz range is outright painful) and base to -10db. It's kinda funny because i considered myself a basshead and was EQ-ing me some base on regular headphones. This is a completely next level basshead headphones though. :D
-Goes super deep, the rumble is clean and audible even around 30 HZ. Extraordinary
-Channel matching in treble was quite meh
-Super clean treble
-I really need better quality source/amp now
-Moving headphone around on my head even a little bit does strange things to treble response (move headphones, and particular treble frequency starts coming from left/right channel instead of center). Weird.

Apr 29, 2017 at 6:40 PM Post #10,185 of 12,086
Whee, got mine (TH-X00 Mahogany), finally! This was a slow shipping, for some reason UK customs took over a week to process it.

First impressions and thoughts:
-They are bigger in person than i expected
-Wood cups look quite a bit darker than on Massdrop's photos (my pair looks like this: https://www.head-fi.org/f/showcase/fostex-th-x00-massdrop-exclusive.21135/reviews#review-14608 )
-Cable is super thick, my laptop power cable is less thick than this :D not a big fan of the cable tbh
-VERY V-shaped when plugged into my computer. I tried to eq the thing to my liking and had to eq down treble (that 9-11khz range is outright painful) and base to -10db. It's kinda funny because i considered myself a basshead and was EQ-ing me some base on regular headphones. This is a completely next level basshead headphones though. :D
-Goes super deep, the rumble is clean and audible even around 30 HZ. Extraordinary
-Channel matching in treble was quite meh
-Super clean treble
-I really need better quality source/amp now
-Moving headphone around on my head even a little bit does strange things to treble response (move headphones, and particular treble frequency starts coming from left/right channel instead of center). Weird.

Highly recommend getting the Lawton Audio Tune-up Kit if you can, really cleans and smooths up the sound and that's only with applying the driver housing acoustic material. Makes the TH-X00 more easy listening yet even more detailed and clear than before.

http://www.lawtonaudio.com/fostextune-up.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back