Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Apr 24, 2017 at 10:32 PM Post #10,156 of 12,086
​I just noticed in your signature that you own a HE1000.  You're done, son! 

IMO, those are the best sounding TOTL headphones on the market right now.  Why even mess with anything else?!
best for what ? Sub bass ? Isolation ? Treble ?

Apr 24, 2017 at 10:41 PM Post #10,158 of 12,086
best for what ? Sub bass ? Isolation ? Treble ?

​Everything.  In my experience, they (and to a lesser degree the HE-X v2) are the only open-back headphones that are capable of producing deep sub-bass at high SPLs (nearly the same amount as the TH-X00) without audibly distorting.  Plus they sound fantastic across the rest of the spectrum and they have a beautifully rendered soundstage (not too big, not to small).  Even though I'm not really a fan of HiFiMAN the company, I can't deny how good they sound.

Apr 24, 2017 at 10:57 PM Post #10,159 of 12,086
​I just noticed in your signature that you own a HE1000.  You're done, son! 

IMO, those are the best sounding TOTL headphones on the market right now.  Why even mess with anything else?!

I also own the MrSpeakers Flow C now too.

And I agree. It [the he1k] gets like 90% or 95% of my head time. I told the wife I don't see a reason to buy another hp on purchase.

Then got the TH-X00, M7XX, Final Sonorous 7, both Phonon hps, Meze 99 Classic Gold, some iems, and maybe some more. And I really want the Focal Listen. VERY BIG LOL. :D
( maybe I'm off with the timing on one but pretty sure all came after the he1k tho I vowed to the Mrs I wouldn't )

They all have special characteristics and I enjoy them all. But ya, I enjoy the HE-1000 about 9 outta 10 times more.

Apr 24, 2017 at 11:18 PM Post #10,161 of 12,086
Does anyone know why the black one costs $50 more? Is it just the rarity of the wood? Seems like overkill for just a fashion statement.
Pink is $25 less.

Apr 24, 2017 at 11:26 PM Post #10,162 of 12,086
Apr 25, 2017 at 12:13 AM Post #10,164 of 12,086
@XERO1 check out the TH-X00 pad rolling link in my signature.  I show various pads and how they affect the frequency response of the headphone.  I also ordered the Massdrop Dekoni Sheepskin pads and Velour pads and attenuation ring, which is a must, as all of the pads are worse than stock from a frequency response continuity perspective.  

Apr 25, 2017 at 4:58 AM Post #10,165 of 12,086
Just got myself an Eikon pads + attenuation ring from Dekoni.... I think it is my favorite combo right now. Ori/Omni pads + attenuation ring is close second. Then TH900 pads + attenuation ring is also very interesting... :D

Apr 25, 2017 at 5:20 AM Post #10,167 of 12,086
Thx for sharing, really interesting :)

By the way, about the sound signature : have you got the deep sub-bass with all of them ?

I think TH900 pads give the most sub-bass, but it is also the most V-shaped. Eikon pads will be my second pick for sub-bass, while still keeping the midrange not that far away. Ori pads will be more balanced and the most similar to stock pads I think. The attenuation ring do bring back the sub-bass. :)

Apr 25, 2017 at 11:33 AM Post #10,168 of 12,086
  @XERO1 check out the TH-X00 pad rolling link in my signature.  I show various pads and how they affect the frequency response of the headphone.  I also ordered the Massdrop Dekoni Sheepskin pads and Velour pads and attenuation ring, which is a must, as all of the pads are worse than stock from a frequency response continuity perspective.  

Wow.  That's quite a collection.  Thanks for measuring all of them and posting the results.

I would really love to see measurements of the Dekoni sheepskin and velour pads with and without the attenuation rings.  That would be interesting.

Apr 26, 2017 at 10:04 PM Post #10,169 of 12,086
Received mine yesterday (Mahogany). Slightly less treble sizzle than the TH610 which weren't fatiguing or anything. This is just slightly smoother imo. Vocals are pretty much the same. Soundstage is the same. Voicing overall is the same. Where the X00 is better is the bass. It's nice here, but not enough imo. People saying these are bass cannons must not be used to bass or have a stereo system in their car. These pick up sub bass a lot better than the 610's for sure. You can hear it more here.

Mid bass is pretty similar to the Fidelio X2's. These dig much deeper with the semi open design. Highs are much much more smoother. No grain here. I find these lighter, no sagging because of that stupid ass hanging headband the X2's use. Clap is stronger here than the X2. Can get fatiguing after a while but a slight adjustment fixes it. For more than 4 hours of straight gaming then it becomes bothersome and have to switch to different headphones.

I find the bass to be neutral imo. This is what I would refer to as neutral as a bass head I suppose. The bass is cute and all. It's like a little 8" subwoofer in a sealed enclosure on 100w in a car lol.

The cord is ridiculously stupid on these. The Kirby cord is nice and soft but loops easily.

I like the voicing of these. I find them to be along the lines of the HD600/X2's buy slightly distant vocals. They complement these two with it's sub bass for movies and music.

Listening to EDM, and Rock are great on these. Listening to Miss May I it they don't struggle one bit like the HD650's smothering everything into a giant mess. These spread every instrument out so you can hear them. Nothing gets squashed together here which is very great.

Overall, I love them. Selling the HD650's, and X2's. I find these to be much closer to the Superlux HD330 but with more bass. The voicing is pretty identical with the 330's having slightly more throaty male vocals which is excellent for podcasts. Long gaming sessions the 330 are more comfortable.

Soundstage on the x00 is fine. The imaging is great. Footsteps in BF4 are easily noticeable. Even with the action going on.

I wonder how the Sheepskin pads will sound on these.

These are big, and look big in pictures but if you're worried about weight. Well they're a crap ton lighter than the X2's so there's that.

Apr 26, 2017 at 10:15 PM Post #10,170 of 12,086
Have you tried the TH900?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back