Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Jul 30, 2016 at 11:11 PM Post #7,771 of 12,086
http://www.head-fi.org/t/716711/the-hardest-hitting-headphones-are-the-extreme-bass-club  <------ This is the definitive Basshead thread on the site, would highly recommend moving this convo there lest it devolve into the mess of first drop shipping updates lol.

Jul 31, 2016 at 12:02 AM Post #7,772 of 12,086
Jul 31, 2016 at 12:12 AM Post #7,773 of 12,086
I dont want the vibration, the other users misread my post. I was just wondering which TH-X00 version is best suited for my needs when considering deep sub bass prescense.

The Purpleheart.

Jul 31, 2016 at 12:27 AM Post #7,774 of 12,086
I dont want the vibration, the other users misread my post. I was just wondering which TH-X00 version is best suited for my needs when considering deep sub bass prescense.

Well, vibration can easily be had by slightly loosening the screws that hold the grill in front of the driver, so that's that.

The best way to come to a somewhat conclusive decision is just to look at the frequency response curves for each of the different wood types. 

Honestly, looking at the curves here the PH look to yield the most subbass since the slope of the line past 30hz seems to be the most gentle. However, because of the offset of the other two graphs, you have to just eyeball it, unless you want to put a ruler on your screen or print out the picture.

edit: Moe beat me to it via subjectiveness(is that a word?), and experience. 

Jul 31, 2016 at 8:34 AM Post #7,776 of 12,086
No, that would be the jvz zs2000, no other closed headphone can touch it that includes the th900

Never heard of this ??

Is it possible you mean JVC SZ2000 ? w/30mm driver

Jul 31, 2016 at 1:15 PM Post #7,778 of 12,086
  Feel the sub-bass rumble on my mahogany.  Add +6db to 50hz for some extra brain rattle:

Definitely better than RAP! I like. I can't wait for the PH to try this out. I'll listen on the EL8 for now though.

Aug 1, 2016 at 1:51 AM Post #7,781 of 12,086
Would you know how the soundstage on those cans are?
smily_headphones1.gif

You know how a 1950s mono radio sounds? Yeah, like that.

Aug 1, 2016 at 4:24 AM Post #7,782 of 12,086
@SleepingLesson, you do know that there is a small gap between the cup and the frame if that is where you are saying they are slightly too small.  If the screw holes don't match then its possible that the cups are different sizes which they really shouldn't be due to MassDrop saying only the wood type is different.

Aug 1, 2016 at 2:43 PM Post #7,783 of 12,086

You know how a 1950s mono radio sounds? Yeah, like that.

lol, but nah.  They're not close to a good open headphone, but they're certainly on the better end for closed headphone soundstage.  Especially if you go a pad with a larger ear hole that's more angled.  But even stock they're well above  an average mid-fi closed headphone for soundstage.

Aug 1, 2016 at 7:29 PM Post #7,784 of 12,086
The Emu-Teaks (Rosewood, Ebony, and Teak) are back on Massdrop, potentially going for $449.  In the wake of the massively saturating Fostex TH-X00 drops, how are these teaks going to fare?  I already have the mahogany version of the X00 and I declined to buy into  "the hype" of the purple hearts and the Ebonies that recently dropped.  I confess, however,  that I am intrigued by the Emu Teak ebony, which is about $50 cheaper than the Fostex ebony..  is there any way one can adjudicate between these two?  I have seen a review which ranks the Emu-Teak ebony above the Fostex mahogany X00.  I have still not completely determined whether I should forget all the other cans and simply hold on to my Fostex Mahogany X00, but I admit to being tempted by the ebony version of the X00 when it was running.  The Emu-teak ebony seems to be a bit superior to the mahogany X00 (at least according to what I read), but what is likely to be the difference between the EMU-teak ebony and the Fostex ebony (which costs about $50 higher than the Emu-teak ebony)?.

This is probably a tough question, given that the Fostex ebony X00 has not been released to the public since the drop, but this being head-fi where people seem to have access to the most exclusively owned gear, I am hoping someone can give me a helpful answer, and it would be highly appreciated.  Thoughts?

Patrick

Aug 1, 2016 at 8:00 PM Post #7,785 of 12,086
I believe the E-MUs have the same Fostex drivers, but are actually dampened and tuned differently (rather than cups being the only difference between X00 models).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back