Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
May 21, 2016 at 3:58 PM Post #6,541 of 12,086
LZ-A2

May 21, 2016 at 10:31 PM Post #6,542 of 12,086
Just wanted to give a shout out to Zynsonix for the fantastic modded X00's!!  As much as I loved the stock 20 foot cable the X00's came with, these new pigtails open up a world of possibilities.  All custom Audeze cables also work with these bad boys.  Bryan (of Zynsonix) is an incredible guy and is making some of the finest headphone cables I have ever heard.  http://www.zynsonix.com

May 21, 2016 at 11:55 PM Post #6,543 of 12,086
I'm listening to my new pair.  These cans are quite bassy.  I like more bass so not a complaint.  But I can not imagine how the purple heart sound.  These already have enough bass to me.

Anyone know if there is anyone is So Cal area that can do custom cable for these?

May 22, 2016 at 7:35 AM Post #6,544 of 12,086
After about 100 hour of burn in, there is less sibilance in the treble. Much better than initially out of the box. I am sure it is not brain burn in, cuz it is a loud and sharp sibilance

May 22, 2016 at 4:43 PM Post #6,545 of 12,086
 I fly 4-5 times a year, this is why I kept my old IE80 (with custom tips). But I can't really enjoy that signature anymore after I heard X00. What are your mobile alternatives for flights, X00 owners? Without spending another $4-500 on IEMs?

I'm partial to the Beyer dynamic dt1350s. They have amazing isolation and fantastic bass extension (albeit not the greatest visceral impact). Very nice sound quality for on ears with best in class isolation and dynamic range.

May 22, 2016 at 5:02 PM Post #6,546 of 12,086
   I fly 4-5 times a year, this is why I kept my old IE80 (with custom tips). But I can't really enjoy that signature anymore after I heard X00. What are your mobile alternatives for flights, X00 owners? Without spending another $4-500 on IEMs?

For flights I use one of these: QC-25, MDR-7506 (w/ shure velour pads), or V-Moda XS.  I'm one who can't stand IEMs

May 22, 2016 at 8:23 PM Post #6,547 of 12,086
I've been using my Sony H3 a couple years now. Currently looking for something in the full size/on ear portable category. My X00 is somewhat portable with my detachable cable mod, now, but poor isolation (as expected) is what keeps it from being so.

May 23, 2016 at 9:06 AM Post #6,551 of 12,086
After a week with these great cans, I'm very happy to report that these are very comfortable, I do find the pads get kind of stuffy after like few hours of wearing, but still way more comfy than my AKG K553 with modded pads. The sound quality is beautiful, no sharpness in the high nor any signs of sibilance so far. These go really good with slow tempo songs and the sub-bass excel really good with most of my electronic/alternative pop rock stuff, the mid bass does get a bit sloppy when it comes to symphonic metal high tempo music tho but over all they still do the job just fine :) Mid range is not recessed, at least to my liking. For the record, I'm not a big believer of burning in or whatever voodoo magic, I find the sound to be the same after the first time I putted them on my head, but I actually do hope the bass will get tighter over time :D 

May 23, 2016 at 10:19 AM Post #6,552 of 12,086
Yea, that ear pads are not really that good IMO. It just feels very artificial, feels like plastic or something. I swapped them out after 5 minutes of wearing. 

May 23, 2016 at 4:53 PM Post #6,553 of 12,086
I got my x00's the other day and I haven't been able to take them off. I thought I'd share my thoughts on them and compare them to the others in my collection. As a preface, I currently own the following headphones: HE-400, Maddogs 3.2, and DT990 Premium. Each has qualities I like. For instance, the bass in the HE-400 is tight, deep and accurate - but the comfort really sucks. The DT990's comfort is almost unsurpassable, but the highs are very sibilant. The Mad Dogs are comfortable and their sound signature is the most neutral - tending to the warm side. But, by the same token, they are not very exciting.

Now, with that background, I can say that the TH-X00 is at least as comfortable as the DT-990, with deeper (but a bit less accurate) bass than the HE-400, and with a similar sound signature as the Maddogs. Consequently, I'll be selling the maddogs and the dt-990s (asking $ 175 md's and $ 150 dt's - i'll post up a thread over at FS).

I'm keeping the hifiman because they are open-backed, and their soundstage is the best out of all the phones i own. But while the X00 is closed, it doesn't sound stuffy. I guess the best way I can describe it is being in a sound-treated audiophile room. It's really good, in its own sort of way. For those with spotify, a good song to hear this is Hands of Time by Margo Price. You can hear the soundstage as it was baked into the song itself, not as an effect of your headphone. Focus on her voice. I'm also sure that Steely Dan (notoriously obsessive producers) would approve of how this phone plays "Aja."

The bass. Oh dear lord the bass. The X00 provides this in massive amounts. There's no distinguishable "boominess", just a lot of detailed bass. Just listen to the sub-bass in the entire "Fat of the Land" album by Prodigy. Also good is Allan Rayman's "Hotel Allan" album, and "Nu Beginningz" by Congo Natty.

Detail retrieval in the X00 is balanced. I won't say it's "analytical," because it's truly not. I think balanced is a better descriptor, in the sense that you get detail across the entire spectrum (bass through highs) without any particular band being obnoxious. Combined with the comfort of these phones, it's pretty easy to melt away and just enjoy music for hours. For instance, just listen to Etta James' "At Last" - old recording (which can be annoying in analytical headphones); instead, the detail in all the instruments is there without sibilance. Awesome stuff.

The only negative with the X00 is the damn cable. It's about as thick as a transatlantic data cable, non-removable, and the termination is 1/4''. So yeah, it's annoying. But you probably won't be using these on the subway. So whatever. I care more about the sound anyways, and on that point, this thing blows anything else at its price point out of the water. Also, the wood cups are beautiful.

May 23, 2016 at 5:16 PM Post #6,555 of 12,086
I found myself having some ear-fatigue after 3-4 hrs of listening time, which I didn't experience with X2.
 So I decided to check out the loudness in my earcups with SPL meter. (Simple android app.) According to this measurement I usually like my music between 78 and 84db. But if I put some juice on, it easily goes up to 85-92db, which is a bit high for long term listening. 
 I try to watch better now, to keep it below 85db.
 For some reason I want to push X00s louder than my usual listening volume. Has anyone experienced something similar? Is it, because I want even more of that awesome bass? At this point I am wondering whether the strong and very present treble caused me headache or the higher than usual volume for 2-3 days. 
 Anyway, I will take the color of my Mojo's light more seriously. And see, if that helps with this sensitivity by time.  I really love and enjoy X00s. I hope I am not sensitive to its treble, I was just silly and pushed the volume too high. (Getting used to different ohm headphones.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back