Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
May 20, 2016 at 12:28 AM Post #6,512 of 12,086
Nice! I use Alpha pads on the TH-X00 for comfort reasons. I also find that they tighten up the bass a bit (maybe elevate too?). Also they put your ears at a steeper angle towards the drivers and further away from the driver and I think that makes the soundstage bigger, and less in your face. The stock pads I thought had good soundstage width but lacked the depth I prefer with the Alpha pads.

Also when installing a new set of pads, make sure that the locking mechanism locks in all four areas.. otherwise you won't get a seal and wonder why the new pads sound like crap and have no bass.

I alpha are very comfy but didnt like the sound with the X00's made them too dark and too bassy for my tastes. I actually use after market D2K pads i got of ebay with the X00's as i prefer the sound with them. They sound like a more refined D2k with better clarity and detail.

May 20, 2016 at 2:50 AM Post #6,513 of 12,086
  It looks like you ditched your Fidelio X2? Same goes to me, I sold my lovely X2 to someone else that should use it instead of sitting around the corner. How's TH X00 compared to X2?

On the last few pages I wrote 3 longer comments regarding X00s and X2, check it out. Let me not repeat myself for the sake of fellow forum members. :wink:
 (I am also planning to summarize my impressions about X00s in a shorter review pretty soon.)

May 20, 2016 at 3:28 AM Post #6,514 of 12,086

On the last few pages I wrote 3 longer comments regarding X00s and X2, check it out. Let me not repeat myself for the sake of fellow forum members. :wink:
 (I am also planning to summarize my impressions about X00s in a shorter review pretty soon.)

Nice profile pic mate. TH-X00 + Mojo. It was X2 before so this means you really like TH-X00. I'll have the same combo when the current drop ends and I get my pair. 
smile.gif

May 20, 2016 at 3:46 AM Post #6,515 of 12,086
  Nice profile pic mate. TH-X00 + Mojo. It was X2 before so this means you really like TH-X00. I'll have the same combo when the current drop ends and I get my pair. 
smile.gif

Yes, I like it a lot. It is not perfect, but better than X2 in too many things, so the choice is clear. With burn-in I find the edge of the treble to be rounded down a bit. That slight sharpness become a bit warmer, the sound is more consistent, more like one whole instead of separate bass, mids and highs. 
And Mojo does its miracle with X00 too. Gives depth to the soundstage, adds detail, clarity, refinement, dynamics. And a very black background.
X00 is without a question superior to X2. My only problem was a little harshness at the beginning, but it seems to tame down by burn-in time.

May 20, 2016 at 5:27 AM Post #6,516 of 12,086

Yes, I like it a lot. It is not perfect, but better than X2 in too many things, so the choice is clear. With burn-in I find the edge of the treble to be rounded down a bit. That slight sharpness become a bit warmer, the sound is more consistent, more like one whole instead of separate bass, mids and highs. 
And Mojo does its miracle with X00 too. Gives depth to the soundstage, adds detail, clarity, refinement, dynamics. And a very black background.
X00 is without a question superior to X2. My only problem was a little harshness at the beginning, but it seems to tame down by burn-in time.

Great... Next week my friend will lend me his TH900 and TH-X00, I'll have a chance to hear TH-X00 so I can decide if the highs are harsh for me or not before the drop ends. I'll also compare it to TH900.

May 20, 2016 at 5:42 AM Post #6,517 of 12,086
Great... Next week my friend will lend me his TH900 and TH-X00, I'll have a chance to hear TH-X00 so I can decide if the highs are harsh for me or not before the drop ends. I'll also compare it to TH900.

Great. I look forward to hearing your impressions as someone with similar taste in headphones.
My hearing is a bit sensitive to treble, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

May 20, 2016 at 11:23 AM Post #6,518 of 12,086
  I would love to mod the Fostex logo to be gold instead of black, a la the Denon series.

Would this be relatively easy to do?

wow thats cool!, It would definitly make the X00 more lovely 

May 20, 2016 at 12:53 PM Post #6,519 of 12,086
I bought the Purplehearts and I sure as hell hope they sound better than Philips X2's. Those are some very colored cans esp in the highs, I don't get the hype at all. (And yeah, I own them.)

I have the D2000's already and I'm hoping to get something more neutral - I tend to lower that bass a few db's with the Denons. Mids are not that present with them either... We'll see how these two compare. Tighter bass is the number 1 thing I'm expecting.

May 20, 2016 at 1:03 PM Post #6,520 of 12,086
  I bought the Purplehearts and I sure as hell hope they sound better than Philips X2's. Those are some very colored cans esp in the highs, I don't get the hype at all. (And yeah, I own them.)

I have the D2000's already and I'm hoping to get something more neutral - I tend to lower that bass a few db's with the Denons. Mids are not that present with them either... We'll see how these two compare. Tighter bass is the number 1 thing I'm expecting.

Think you've bought the wrong headphones if you want a more neutral signature, as the X00's have more bass than the Denons.

May 20, 2016 at 1:26 PM Post #6,521 of 12,086
  Think you've bought the wrong headphones if you want a more neutral signature, as the X00's have more bass than the Denons.

That's not what I've read / heard. The D2000's have lots of bass and quite scooped mids. Esp the latter is reportedly different in the X00's. Have you heard the D2000's?

I have HD600's and LCD-2's too, so I'm not after more neutral headphones per se. I'm looking for a neutral-ish hp with big and fun bass. X2 just colored things too much, esp in the highs that were way off of neutral - instruments didn't sound like they should.

May 20, 2016 at 2:02 PM Post #6,522 of 12,086
  That's not what I've read / heard. The D2000's have lots of bass and quite scooped mids. Esp the latter is reportedly different in the X00's. Have you heard the D2000's?

I have HD600's and LCD-2's too, so I'm not after more neutral headphones per se. I'm looking for a neutral-ish hp with big and fun bass. X2 just colored things too much, esp in the highs that were way off of neutral - instruments didn't sound like they should.

I have both and the X00's have more bass(mid bass) than my D2k's. Mids are more forward at the expense on some sound stage width. When you say neutral-ish with fun bass do you mean elevated bass with neutral mids and highs? 

May 21, 2016 at 1:48 AM Post #6,523 of 12,086
Just got done installing my E-MU ebony cups on my THX00

Users who are viewing this thread

Back