Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Mar 25, 2016 at 9:07 AM Post #5,506 of 12,086
Great, I am in.

Gotta be a long wait.

Mar 25, 2016 at 9:09 AM Post #5,507 of 12,086
The purple heart looks very sexy, but I've not stopped and thought "man, I would change this or that" when listening to the mahogany version. I'm sure the differences will mostly be very subtle. 
I'm excited for the newcomers, but I feel perfectly content with the originals. 
beerchug.gif

Mar 25, 2016 at 9:12 AM Post #5,508 of 12,086
Showed 204 after my order, I got a low number :)

See you all in August!

Mar 25, 2016 at 9:15 AM Post #5,509 of 12,086
It is only a cup change driving the sonic difference. The X00 has NOT been retuned
Thanks for confirming jamor, so it definitely begs the question. Will the cups be produced seperately as well, for separate purchase, so that us mahogany owners can experience the new look and sig?

Mar 25, 2016 at 9:22 AM Post #5,511 of 12,086
Own the Thx00 and just joined the Purple Heart drop. Anyone know if or when Massdrop will re-drop the Grace M9XX? I've read that is a great amp for the Thx00. I missed the last M9xx drop, but they have a feature story on it on their site and there are currently 324 requests for it.

Mar 25, 2016 at 9:45 AM Post #5,514 of 12,086
  Dear Head-Fam,

I have a confession to make. Six months ago, immediately following our launch of the TH-X00, I started working on new projects with Fostex. I kept this from you, I know it was unfair, but it was for your own good, I promise. The hype train was already approaching lightspeed, imagine if I’d told everyone we were working on an alternative TH-X00 that addressed what many have described as sharpness in the lower midrange, while decreasing resonance in the lower treble...

I guess we’ll see. Please welcome the TH-X00 Purpleheart!

This is the TH-X00 you know and love, but the Mahogany earcups have been replaced with Purpleheart earcups. Purpleheart is among the densest woods on earth, making it excellent for reducing acoustic resonance, and incredibly hard to work with.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/fostex-x-massdrop-th-x00-purpleheart-headphones

How does this impact the sound?

Sub-bass (~50hz) through bass (~250hz) is increased ~2 db while following the same curve as the original (peak is at 50hz).

Lower midrange (~500hz-800hz) is decreased by ~5db, and where the Mahogany has a slight peak at ~600hz, the Purpleheart has a smoother climb from 500hz to 1000hz.

Midrange proper ( ~1000hz-2000hz) is essentially the same as the Mahogany.

Upper midrange (~2k-6k) is ~2db less throughout.

Highs (~8k-10k) are slightly more emphasized. Peaks and valleys are positioned differently than on the Mahogany, magnitude of peaks and valleys is similar.

Super Highs (~12k-20k) are more present. Where the Mahogany falls off at ~14k, the Purpleheart maintains presence throughout that range. This is something for the community to verify, but overall top-end extension should be improved.

CSD Graphs of the TH-X00 Mahogany showed some resonance at 3k and 6k, these mostly eliminated with the Purpleheart.

All of these are subtle changes, driven by the community’s response to the original TH-X00.

Was this section gibberish? Check out https://www.massdrop.com/article/understanding-headphone-reviews and http://www.independentrecording.net/irn/resources/freqchart/main_display.htm

Drop Details

The drop will launch at 9am EST, 6am PST on Friday, March 25th (tomorrow).

The Purplehearts are also serialized, with the serials starting at 1. Same as all our first drops for custom products, first 250 purchasers will get a serial below 300.

Price is set at $449.99 including free domestic shipping. Price is higher primarily due to higher material cost from Purpleheart.

Quantity is limited to 1000 units to start, possibility to increase to 2000.

Expected ship date is early August. Takes three months to produce these (gotta make sure the wood is properly dried, etc) and another 4-6 weeks on a boat to america. Early August is a safe bet.

OMG What WILL, I BOUGHT THE LAST ROUND, THEY DON’T SHIP UNTIL MAY, I WANT THE PURPLE ONES INSTEAD!!!

Well good news folks. Because this is the first time a situation like this has come up (where we’re releasing an alternative version of the product while customers are still waiting on the original to ship) we’re giving all participants of the last TH-X00 drop the opportunity to switch to the Purpleheart if they so desire.

If you want to get in on the purpleheart, join the drop, go to your transaction page, find the TH-X00 Mahogany transaction, and click "Contact Support".

I’ll be around to answer questions leading up to the launch tomorrow morning : )

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/fostex-x-massdrop-th-x00-purpleheart-headphones

Now in decorator colors!  can't wait

Mar 25, 2016 at 9:51 AM Post #5,515 of 12,086
I wonder what numbers those of us from the last drop now switching to the Purples, I hope I don't get stuck with a higher number because of this.

yeah.. those higher serial numbered cans don't sound nearrrrllly as good :p

Mar 25, 2016 at 9:51 AM Post #5,516 of 12,086
Oh dear... I'm in and I already have the ones coming in May. I considered swapping over and getting a refund but I don't have a working pair of cans at the moment and Aug is a looong time so I figure, scrounge up the money to buy these now too and sell on the one I like the least, the slightly different sound sig really intrigues me but I must say, I much prefer the look of the purples. So sexy.

I read something about reduced sibilance on the purples which is always welcome if true.

Mar 25, 2016 at 9:56 AM Post #5,517 of 12,086
  Oh dear... I'm in and I already have the ones coming in May. I considered swapping over and getting a refund but I don't have a working pair of cans at the moment and Aug is a looong time so I figure, scrounge up the money to buy these now too and sell on the one I like the least, the slightly different sound sig really intrigues me but I must say, I much prefer the look of the purples. So sexy.

I read something about reduced sibilance on the purples which is always welcome if true.

??  The TH-X00 Mahogony are definitely not sibilant. 

Mar 25, 2016 at 9:58 AM Post #5,518 of 12,086
Easy fix if you want a low serial number. Peel the sticker off, get a label maker and print up whatever number your heart desires! 
L3000.gif

Mar 25, 2016 at 10:00 AM Post #5,520 of 12,086
  I find it funny that people are worrying about the serial number. Honestly, why would anyone care what serial number is printed on the headphones?
Ok, I can understand "001". But anything above that makes no difference to me.

Prime number serial numbers have been proven to sound better. FACT.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back