Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Jan 31, 2016 at 1:16 PM Post #4,531 of 12,089
The way you described what you're after: Grado up front energy, warm and musical. Are how I'd describe the THX00. They're also smoother than Grados, while still being clear and present.

Amp wise, the Vali isn't a "disaster" with it, it's just not a great match. I'd go with an Asgard or Magni if I was buying an amp for a analog front end and the amp was solely for the THX00.

I can confirm the Magni is very good with the thx00. I have the original, so I can only turn it up to 1/4 volume, but it sounds great. Imo the Magni might be the only amp anyone ever needs.

Jan 31, 2016 at 2:11 PM Post #4,532 of 12,089
Thanks, everyone.  Obviously I understand personal preferences impact this stuff; just wanted to see generally if these would be a good selection for what I had in mind.  Sounds like they are so good to go.  I'll likely grab an Asgard.

Jan 31, 2016 at 2:12 PM Post #4,533 of 12,089

you can click that Thumbs up there at the bottom right of the post to leave that +1 lol
evil_smiley.gif

And if that is where is had wanted it then I would have put it there.  But thank you for your input...

Jan 31, 2016 at 2:22 PM Post #4,536 of 12,089
Jan 31, 2016 at 2:24 PM Post #4,537 of 12,089
Everyone here is a little touchy, it's a consequence of super thx00 hype:)

Did not mean to be touchy.  But its not all hype.  They really are very good headphones...

Jan 31, 2016 at 3:31 PM Post #4,541 of 12,089
I also agree wholeheartedly about trying these yourself first before buying... unless you have a refund / return option.

I tried the Fostex TH-X00 again yesterday at a Head-Fi meet I set up with around 75 people in the bay area. I tested one of the X00's critically with several well encoded songs of various genres on at least two amps: Schiit vali tube version and Liquid carbon in high gain. While it seemed the overall presentation is somewhat passable, overall it was quite dark and non detailed: major bass emphasis and major missing detail / roll off in the treble - very non-linear. I then spoke with the two owners of X00's present with the above impression, and they both agreed that it is basically a basshead 'can, however they still like it. It comes down to sound preferences: this kind of signature will be appealing to some people if this is what they like.

The favorite 3 headphones I tried that day were ATH-R70X (on M903 DAC/amp), SR-009 (on KGSS e-stat amp) and the venerable HD-650. IMO the 650 was about 2x more refined; the R70X was in a whole different dimension (polar opposite of TH-X00 in every way - along with different from every other signature out there with the possible exception of the HD-800); and the SR-009 was a huge leap above all else present - uncanny micro-details, speed, immaculate texture / tonality etc.

EDIT: I also compared it to the AKG K7XX and the bass on the K7XX was similar although slightly less in quantity yet better in definition; soundstage was bigger and more detailed in the highs

Jan 31, 2016 at 3:57 PM Post #4,542 of 12,089

I tried the Fostex TH-X00 again yesterday at a Head-Fi meet I set up with around 75 people in the bay area. I tested one of the X00's critically with several well encoded songs of various genres on at least two amps: Schiit vali tube version and Liquid carbon in high gain. While it seemed the overall presentation is somewhat passable, overall it was quite dark and non detailed: major bass emphasis and major missing detail / roll off in the treble - very non-linear. I then spoke with the two owners of X00's present with the above impression, and they both agreed that it is basically a basshead 'can, however they still like it. It comes down to sound preferences: this kind of signature will be appealing to some people if this is what they like.

I agree with your impressions. Then i changed the earpads to the ones i use on my D2K's and now i much prefer the X00's. The mid bass has been tamed a bit, resulting in the mids clearing up, all be it being pushed back a bit. At the same time increasing treble presence. Soundstage width has also increased. Incidentally i now use my D2K's with my X00 earpads.

Jan 31, 2016 at 4:09 PM Post #4,543 of 12,089
I thought the TH-X00 was a bit too forward sounding and in your face when I first heard them with the stock pads. Then I changed them to Alpha pads and it fixed everything I didn't like about them. If you like how they sound stock, chances are your ears/head fit better on the stock TH-X00 than mine does.

Jan 31, 2016 at 4:22 PM Post #4,544 of 12,089
glad that I am basshead. Waiting it to be shipped this March. Dayum cant wait.

Jan 31, 2016 at 4:24 PM Post #4,545 of 12,089
Mind if u post the link for the Alpha Pads. I can try it if I have extra bucks sooner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back