Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Jan 31, 2016 at 4:26 PM Post #4,547 of 12,089
  I also agree wholeheartedly about trying these yourself first before buying... unless you have a refund / return option.

I tried the Fostex TH-X00 again yesterday at a Head-Fi meet I set up with around 75 people in the bay area. I tested one of the X00's critically with several well encoded songs of various genres on at least two amps: Schiit vali tube version and Liquid carbon in high gain. While it seemed the overall presentation is somewhat passable, overall it was quite dark and non detailed: major bass emphasis and major missing detail / roll off in the treble - very non-linear. I then spoke with the two owners of X00's present with the above impression, and they both agreed that it is basically a basshead 'can, however they still like it. It comes down to sound preferences: this kind of signature will be appealing to some people if this is what they like.

The favorite 3 headphones I tried that day were ATH-R70X (on M903 DAC/amp), SR-009 (on KGSS e-stat amp) and the venerable HD-650. IMO the 650 was about 2x more refined; the R70X was in a whole different dimension (polar opposite of TH-X00 in every way - along with different from every other signature out there with the possible exception of the HD-800); and the SR-009 was a huge leap above all else present - uncanny micro-details, speed, immaculate texture / tonality etc.

EDIT: I also compared it to the AKG K7XX and the bass on the K7XX was similar although slightly less in quantity yet better in definition; soundstage was bigger and more detailed in the highs

Well that's bad news, as I was hoping these did not sacrifice the detail in the high frequencies. It does seem like you are one of the few with this impression though. Never the less, if professional reviewers will say the same as you then I will sell my boxed TH-X00 and settle for the HE-500's

Jan 31, 2016 at 4:28 PM Post #4,548 of 12,089
Seriously May? :O
where is the source??

Jan 31, 2016 at 4:29 PM Post #4,551 of 12,089
  I also agree wholeheartedly about trying these yourself first before buying... unless you have a refund / return option.

I tried the Fostex TH-X00 again yesterday at a Head-Fi meet I set up with around 75 people in the bay area. I tested one of the X00's critically with several well encoded songs of various genres on at least two amps: Schiit vali tube version and Liquid carbon in high gain. While it seemed the overall presentation is somewhat passable, overall it was quite dark and non detailed: major bass emphasis and major missing detail / roll off in the treble - very non-linear. I then spoke with the two owners of X00's present with the above impression, and they both agreed that it is basically a basshead 'can, however they still like it. It comes down to sound preferences: this kind of signature will be appealing to some people if this is what they like.

The favorite 3 headphones I tried that day were ATH-R70X (on M903 DAC/amp), SR-009 (on KGSS e-stat amp) and the venerable HD-650. IMO the 650 was about 2x more refined; the R70X was in a whole different dimension (polar opposite of TH-X00 in every way - along with different from every other signature out there with the possible exception of the HD-800); and the SR-009 was a huge leap above all else present - uncanny micro-details, speed, immaculate texture / tonality etc.

EDIT: I also compared it to the AKG K7XX and the bass on the K7XX was similar although slightly less in quantity yet better in definition; soundstage was bigger and more detailed in the highs

First, Vali is a **** amp. Output impedance is too high for TH-X00. It's not a good match, not at all.

2nd, Liquid Carbon on high gain? You do know TH-X00 is a low impedance headphone (25 ohms), don't you?

I think your amp preferences were not good at all for TH-X00.

Jan 31, 2016 at 4:29 PM Post #4,552 of 12,089
  https://www.massdrop.com/buy/fostex-x-massdrop-th-x00

"

Shipping

Domestic orders will be shipped by Massdrop.

Estimated ship date is May 9, 2016.

After the drop ends, check the discussion page for updates."

May 9................

Jan 31, 2016 at 4:30 PM Post #4,554 of 12,089

Did you just buy the TH-X00 without knowing it ships in May?

Lol...

I believe that I read that wrongly before. I see it starts with M, and i thought it is March LOL!

Jan 31, 2016 at 4:31 PM Post #4,555 of 12,089

First, Vali is a **** amp. Output impedance is too high for TH-X00. It's not a good match, not at all.

2nd, Liquid Carbon on high gain? You do know TH-X00 is a low impedance headphone (25 ohms), don't you?

I have the TH-X00, and the Omni and LCD-2 were a class above it imo. But at $399 it's great value for that price.

Jan 31, 2016 at 4:32 PM Post #4,558 of 12,089
  Sorry dear sir, but you got rekt. (As did I lol, I'm also in this batch)

Need to wait...
And it was good that I bought a new pad for my COP to replace with the tear one.
At least I can use it for 1 more semester before the th00 arrives

Jan 31, 2016 at 4:34 PM Post #4,559 of 12,089

How do you like the high frequency performance on these cans obsidyen? I tend to prefer brighter cans..

Jan 31, 2016 at 4:37 PM Post #4,560 of 12,089
  Hey you like EDM, you must try the HD25 Alu's then :) 
Beside you LCD-2, have you ever touched a HE-500?

Yes I do like EDM :). I use mostly orchestral EDM when testing headphones.

I have never tried the HD25, but have tried the Ultrasone 900 and quite liked it. This was under meet conditions though. Never tried the HE-500 cause I chose the LCD over it by reading comparisons :/

As for the cans I own right now, LCD-2/X => ZMF Omni >>>>>> TH-X00 >>>>>> Nighthawk + Oppo PM-3 >>> V-Moda M-100 + DT770

Users who are viewing this thread

Back