Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Dec 18, 2015 at 6:13 AM Post #3,061 of 12,086
The inevitable head-if backlash. As a proud new owner, I would say this is one of the few hyped up headphones that I am really enjoying.

Dec 18, 2015 at 6:37 AM Post #3,063 of 12,086
Winnipeg Canada here.  I missed the delivery yesterday but apparently it is delivered by Canada Post, not DHL, as I got a postal slip directing me to pick it up today at the post office and a total customs fee owing of $36.88.  I guess it was handed over to the postal system after it crossed the border.

Dec 18, 2015 at 6:39 AM Post #3,064 of 12,086
I must be the only one who absolutely loves the cable.. big, sturdy, nicely braided, just the way I like it! when I upgrade cables, this is the type I'm usually looking for...

Dec 18, 2015 at 6:49 AM Post #3,065 of 12,086
Finally the Fostex TH-x00 with serialno: 401 :have arrived here in Norway.

Now it's been put on burn-in and I won't listen on it until Monday....or maybe a little bit earlier:wink:

Dec 18, 2015 at 6:53 AM Post #3,066 of 12,086
  Finally the Fostex TH-x00 with serialno: 401 :have arrived here in Norway.

Now it's been put on burn-in and I won't listen on it until Monday....or maybe a little bit earlier:wink:

Don't be too obsessed about burn-in and enjoy your new acquisition :)

Your headphones will burn in naturally as you listen to it anyway. You can burn it in at night while you sleep and use it over the weekend. Just enjoy your set of new cans 
beyersmile.png

Dec 18, 2015 at 7:12 AM Post #3,068 of 12,086
Hey guys, what volume leves should i burn these in at. Eg 30%, 50%, 100%.

Just curious.

You may get a bunch of responses as to not only what volume level you should use, but possible types of files used to burn in, and then you'll get people that don't even believe in burn in.  Also, it depends on what DAC/amp/DAP/etc. you pair it with as well.  Meaning, 100% volume with my iPod Nano first generation isn't very loud as opposed to 100% volume of the m9XX.

Out of those three choices I would personally choose 50%, and I would never burn in anything at full volume, (chance of damaging driver).  I heard from an audio manufacturer that a person who believed in burn in at excessive volumes were damaging the drivers by burning in at full volume for hours at a time.  

I usually burn at a normal listening volume (sometimes a little more), using a pink noise file and playlists of different genres of songs.  There is no method that is tried and absolutely true, but being safe with burning in IEMs and headphones is of most importance, not damaging the drivers and keeping the volume at levels that will keep the IEMs and headphones as safe as possible.

Edit: Welcome to Head-Fi! 
beerchug.gif

Dec 18, 2015 at 7:17 AM Post #3,069 of 12,086
Hey guys, what volume leves should i burn these in at. Eg 30%, 50%, 100%.

Just curious.

The real question is at what temperature...

Dec 18, 2015 at 7:21 AM Post #3,070 of 12,086
No I am only reading the impressions here. I sure hope I am wrong as I invested some 550$ into it :wink:

There's nothing in the $200 range that touches it in really any way. Open upper mid-fi ($300+) cans best it in certain regards, but don't have the bass. It's much closer to closed than open. It's more isolating than a DT880. It's not going to drown the world out, but it'll cut out light ambient noise and unless you're irresponsible with volume level, nobody will hear it in a normal office setting.

You'll always pay a premium for bass that's done well, because headphones have such a difficult time with bass.

Dec 18, 2015 at 11:17 AM Post #3,071 of 12,086
I am getting ready to purchase the alpha pads unless someone has a better idea

I'm thoroughly enjoying the stock pads now that they have softened a bit, the bass has also tightened up significantly.  I don't have dumbo ears but mine aren't tiny, I have no issues with the stock pads and think people really should give them more time before rushing out to buy new pads.

Dec 18, 2015 at 11:51 AM Post #3,072 of 12,086
  finally finished my review, nearly 7000 words, haha.

http://www.head-fi.org/products/fostex-th-x00-massdrop-exclusive/reviews/14803

Imaging accuracy gets better when you swap out the stock pads for angled Alpha pads. Just sayin'
smily_headphones1.gif
I don't want to create a new hype train but with the Alpha pads these are MUCH better headphones. Before they lacked soundstage depth cause my ears were pressed close to the drivers. Now there is ample space for my ears to be encapsulated by the music. The stock pads can go burn
wink.gif

Dec 18, 2015 at 11:57 AM Post #3,073 of 12,086

Imaging accuracy gets better when you swap out the stock pads for angled Alpha pads. Just sayin'
smily_headphones1.gif
I don't want to create a new hype train but with the Alpha pads these are MUCH better headphones. Before they lacked soundstage depth cause my ears were pressed close to the drivers. Now there is ample space for my ears to be encapsulated by the music. The stock pads can go burn
wink.gif

I thought about that, but A) I wanted to fully acquaint myself with the stock sound before I started pad rolling.  and B) I wouldn't want to put modifications on while doing a review anyway.  I'll end up doing some pad-swapping at some point.  I honestly didn't have an issue with depth imaging, I actually thought that was strong, it was L/R imaging accuracy I had a bit of an issue with.  Even then it wasn't bad, just not great.  My ears aren't really pushed up against the driver with the stock pads, I suppose that's one of those things that it completely depends on your ear shape.  

Dec 18, 2015 at 12:01 PM Post #3,074 of 12,086
Probably going to purchase some myself after Christmas, they seem to be the most favored aftermarket pads in terms of overall sound and comfort. 

I really like the lamb skin pads that are on my ZMF Vibros. ZMF PREMIUM LAMBSKIN EARPADS

Outer Dimensions: 4.5 x 4" Inner Dimensions: 2.875" x 2.175". Would these fit the TH X00?

Dec 18, 2015 at 12:25 PM Post #3,075 of 12,086

smily_headphones1.gif
wink.gif

Does the bass suffer though? (This may have been covered in one of the 200+ pages, but I'm not going to check.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back